PDA

View Full Version : The UJR-EoD Peace Conference

zabbarot
2015-05-12, 01:10 PM
Preparations were rushed to put the meeting together as soon as possible after hearing Emperor Serendel's desire to speak with the UJR. A wing of the Eastern Floor was designated for the meeting and a council hall was prepared. As it was mid afternoon light refreshments were made available at side tables. Chancellor Hammer sat patiently at the head of the table. He still had time before they were expected to arrive, but it was his opinion that the best place to get ready for anything was where you planned to actually do it.

He held looked over a sheaf of paper. Mostly it was personal notes, but also he had letters exchanged between himself and the Emperor of Dawn, and intelligence collected by the MoM. He paused, removing his reading glasses, and rubbed his eyes. Hopefully this would go well. It would be a significant weight off his back.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-05-14, 08:31 AM
Emperor Ridion entered the chamber, along with several representatives from other kingdoms within his Empire - namely the Tuvaak, North Lyradis, Caramel, and the Guilderene Expanse.

"I thank you for meeting with me, Chancellor."

zabbarot
2015-05-14, 09:16 AM
Chancellor Hammer stood to greet them, but did not move from his position at the head of the table. "Of course, Emperor. I always have time to meet with friends. Please, sit down, make yourselves comfortable. Can I offer you any refreshments before we get started?" There was already a glass of water at each seat chilled and lightly flavored with rit phal. Condensation formed on the glasses, but had not yet reached the table. Someone used to such things would recognize that as meaning the water was only poured in the last few minutes.

"I have been briefed on what you wish to discuss, but I would appreciate hearing your opinions in person. If you please, the floor is yours."

QuintonBeck
2015-05-14, 02:17 PM
Lord Lucas Serendel arrived shortly behind his cousin and Emperor Ridion, looking out over the Eastern Floor, built by the Dawn and now occupied by the Republics. It didn't surprise him. Looking at the Chancellor and his strange and garish dress Lucas raised an eyebrow but said nothing. At least the Republics had decided to send someone important to the meeting even though the Lord of North Lyradis already knew where the conversation, if it could be bold enough to call it that, was going to go. Nonetheless he remained silent as he took his seat and awaited his Emperor to speak.

SamBurke
2015-05-14, 04:27 PM
Two and two only entered for Guilder; Lelian, in the ancient but serviceable Guilderene bronze war-armor stood tall and proud at her seat, glancing over the assembled. Both scabbards were empty, and, oddly enough, the traditional armor's gauntlets were similarly removed. Outside the East Floor, where the rest of the delegation camped, these artifacts were kept. Beside her, however, a most uncommonly dressed young man. He stood in simple garb, of rough quality and poorly designed, cheap as sailor's cloth. Yet in his aspect was clear as day the air of self-confidence equal even to the Tzaltec, if that were possible.

"I speak for the Expanse, and I am ready to begin." Lelian bowed towards her liege, and sat.

"I speak for peace, and I am ready to begin," the other man said, bowing to none, but sitting all the same.

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-05-15, 11:23 AM
Ridion hesitated before beginning. He knew the method of diplomacy to be true, but words occasionally failed him...should he misspeak, it could spell ill for this meeting. He pictured covert missions training, when he was growing up, where he would have to dodge and weave in and out of cover delicately. This was a mission that would take a delicate approach, and perhaps had an equally illusive prize.

Ridion looked up, sitting directly across from the Chancellor, and failed to notice the glass of water at all. "I come to you today not only as the Emperor of Dawn, but as the voice of my people. Or rather, due to the voice of my people, which is a detail I'm sure you can appreciate. History is as it is, and what is done has been done, but we must all live in the wake of these things. The sunset war in some ways united our nations together, in some ways literally, as with the Regions of Raaneka, and in some ways through cause. After the war, I am sad to say, that is where our nations relations departed some..."

"Due to the conditions of your assistance in the Sunset War, namely that of gaining the territories of Raaneka, over time, there has been a gaining attitude of unrest within the Empire. We are not ungreatful for your help, that you can be of certainty, however, the price was in the eyes of my people was...deemed rather harmful to the Empire, and one that has continued to threaten the Empire's existance and safety, especially now that the Dawn Accord has reached its limits."

"I did not know as much of this at first, when I first came to be leader, and had I, I'd likely have taken action to have this meeting have been much sooner, but alas, such is not the case. I have no desire to create strife between our nations, and so I come to you to request your assistance in restoring your ally's security as an empire. The first solution that comes to mind is the most obvious, and what most call for within my empire, but ultimately it is in the hands of those within Raaneka to choose - the return of Raaneka to the folds of the Empire of Dawn. Be that as it may, I understand there is likely some understandable apprehension to such a course. What are your thoughts?"

zabbarot
2015-05-15, 01:44 PM
Once all the guests had been greeted and seated the Chancellor once again took his seat. He listened intently. Ridion's words lined up with the briefing he had received. His brow furrowed, but it was a pensive expression. "The war was ... a disappointment in many ways. I know in the moment the Empire of Dawn saw many lands to be won, and an enemy they could shatter. And from that vantage point allowing Raaneka to join this grand experiment of democracy was a pittance. They looked forward to what could be gained.

"But the war was hard. And the war was lost." Hammer shook his head softly, "You are right to assume that we would be apprehensive. In Raaneka's joining a union dreamed of since time immemorial was completed, a union of ideologies. Some time has passed since then, Emperor. The world has changed. The Empire of Dawn has changed. I am not sure that the Kingdom of Raaneka could be reinstated. Perhaps as a republic, but why? What do you wish from it that you don't have now?"

"There are many ways that the Umoja wa Jamhuri za Radurja is prepared to be of assistance, Emperor. There are multiple ways we are already of assistance. The forfeiture of Raaneka simply is not one of them."

QuintonBeck
2015-05-15, 06:57 PM
Lucas' fist clinched on the table and he bit his tongue. Ridion had assured him he would address the issue and he was doing it now, Lucas would respect his Emperor. Still, the words of the Chancellor irked him. It had not been the Dawn's intent to conquer anything, though the official documentation laid blame for the war on Guilder it was common knowledge that Guilder's efforts of diplomacy with the Saroc had been undermined by outside forces. Even then, the UJR once Triumvirate for all their talk of assistance had provided a careful and practiced assistance that kept them safe. When the Jaaku Na pirate had rolled onto their doorstep they had kept their navies in dock and let the ESM come to their defense. They had tried and found guilty the man responsible for the assistance they did provide for taking offers from all sides yet they did not resist the offer he had settled on, the lands of Raaneka.

The UJR hadn't responded as allies in the war, they'd been vultures. Their Chancellor had entertained offers from all sides and all comers and forced the Empire to capitulate and offer Raaneka yet the Republics hadn't been satisfied with Raaneka itself, a land which perhaps had shared more history with the UJR than the EoD though Lucas disagreed, but they had taken the entirety of the lands held by the Diarchy, the entire Kingdom that they now so dismissed as antiquated. Lucas remembered well they had taken Grmanhil too and how they had resisted requests from the Empire for its return until the threat of the Salterri was brought to bear upon them. So too had it only been in Grmanhil that a plebiscite was held and overwhelmingly the orcs had chosen to return to the Empire. The other lands had not been given such privilege though the Republics insisted they enjoyed their new allegiance more than their old and the Republics had yet to do anything to pay recompense to the Empire, recognize the folly of their ways, or even understand the complaints of the Empire. Lucas looked to his Emperor, eager to hear his liege's words.

SamBurke
2015-05-16, 04:22 PM
Once all the guests had been greeted and seated the Chancellor once again took his seat. He listened intently. Ridion's words lined up with the briefing he had received. His brow furrowed, but it was a pensive expression. "The war was ... a disappointment in many ways. I know in the moment the Empire of Dawn saw many lands to be won, and an enemy they could shatter. And from that vantage point allowing Raaneka to join this grand experiment of democracy was a pittance. They looked forward to what could be gained.

"But the war was hard. And the war was lost." Hammer shook his head softly, "You are right to assume that we would be apprehensive. In Raaneka's joining a union dreamed of since time immemorial was completed, a union of ideologies. Some time has passed since then, Emperor. The world has changed. The Empire of Dawn has changed. I am not sure that the Kingdom of Raaneka could be reinstated. Perhaps as a republic, but why? What do you wish from it that you don't have now?"

"There are many ways that the Umoja wa Jamhuri za Radurja is prepared to be of assistance, Emperor. There are multiple ways we are already of assistance. The forfeiture of Raaneka simply is not one of them."

"Then perhaps, we were fighting different wars, Chancellor." Lelian stood, and raised her goblet. "We were fighting a war started by the enemy's policies, provoked by their own poison, and carried on in spite of our best wishes. If we had won, there might possibly have been conquests. I know that Doge Vizini had in his heart a hope to free the people known as the Gebu, and was looking in earnest to that end.

"Yet it was not a war of greed, it was a war of necessity, of hard fought hard-lined tooth and nail survivalism. We have all read the accounts of soldiers fighting, to the last man, in the Clanships. We know of the desperate bravery your men showed against the Dunfel. But this war was one where we needed to know that every ally was behind us... all the way. Ashenia, from the other side of the globe, sent aid without request. Razdis sent aid, in full force, unasked for. So... yes, things have changed, but even though a business fails, the collector still comes for their debt."

The man leans over and whispers something to Lelian. She whispered back.

"Yes, it was meant to be that ominous."

zabbarot
2015-05-16, 11:35 PM
At this the Chancellor raise an eyebrow. "A collector comes for their debt? Was that an accusation or a threat? Or perhaps both?" The Chancellor leaned forward in his seat, but did not rise to the bait or change his tone, "The Eastern Floor was built in 461 by Raaneka while it was part of the Empire of Dawn. There are rules here which you have no excuse not to be aware of, and yet you entered in full armor. I have allowed you to stay despite this in hopes that we could expedite these talks. Do not make me regret my decision by choosing to drag these talks into a quagmire of accusations. We are here to keep the peace. If you desire war leave this place now, and I will await your declaration."

When finished he turned his gaze back to Emperor Ridion. "I believe you were about to speak, your grace."

Snowfire
2015-05-17, 04:52 AM
"A moment, your grace, if you will." The dark-skinned woman beside the Chancellor spoke softly, turning her gaze towards Doge Lelian.

"For I feel that some must somehow have been led astray as to the events that led to our secession from the Empire." Speaker Cheyna's eyes were bright against her bronzed skin as she addressed the Doge. Her dress made her home quite clear, few but a Raaneki would choose to wear so little to a formal meeting. "I would hope, perhaps, having spoken with the children of Queen Sucheta and read her journals again before this meeting, I might be able to set the record straight."

"Lady Sucheta was not forced to give up her lands, My Doge, she chose to, with the full approval and knowledge of Empress Myrida. Yes, it is true, many attempted to solicit the support of the Triumvirate, and the Senate had little power then over the workings of the Chancellor's Office. The Church would have done all it could to come to the Empire's aid, yet without the Chancellor's word, much of the military of the nation would have remained deadlocked. His actions stand for themselves, yet so do those of or last Queen. She extended an offer that the Chancellor could not refuse, one that - had things perhaps gone differently - might have changed many things. In the end it did not, yet the key is this; she chose to take that path. The Kingdom of Raaneka was not demanded, it was given."

"The armour you bear is indeed worn against the most basic traditions of this place, yet the concession was given in the knowledge of how important - how traditional - its wearing is for the nation and people of Guilder. Had it been any other but a truly small few, the guards of the Floor would not have allowed it, even with your noted and much appreciated removal of gauntlets and swords." She tapped a finger on the table in front of her. "That in itself speaks of the high esteem in which we hold the Empire and all its peoples."

"Yet," she shook her head, "that is neither here nor there. The Kingdom of Raaneka chose its path - to say that there were not candidates who would have seen the reversal of the agreement if they had won the Governership would be very wrong. In all places but Grmanhil, they were not successful. The provinces of old Raaneka, the Raaneka of Queen Adite and her descendants, those had long since been close to the Triumvirate. And so for us, though we prayed it would not cause a rift such as seems to have spawned from it, it was a choice that we followed Lady Sucheta into willingly." She stopped abruptly, a slight flush upon her cheeks.

"I hope you do not take my words amiss, your Grace," she spoke then to the Emperor. "But I believe they were necessary."

SamBurke
2015-05-17, 03:37 PM
Lelian thinks for a moment, before sitting down. A visible wave of exhaustion falls over her, and she leans to the man, and whispers in his ear.

"The Doge is feeling ill, and will speak through me. I had hoped to remain virtually silent through this discussion, but am unable. I, Wesley, therefore proclaim Guilder's stance."

He waits through the inevitable shouts of shock. There is no gold in his eye, no scale marring his arms: in fact, Wesley seems scarcely like himself. Younger, healthier, bright of eye and tooth and complexion. His clothes are bare, almost homemade, and scarcely worthy of his stance or position. In fact, other than a necklace with shintouite token, etched with goldfire, and on a thong of lacertal leather, there is no ornament to him whatsoever.

"Guilder was worried about the state of our allies; in a world where a war requires a hundred thousand, we must be able to depend upon those in the ranks beside us. It was felt by many that the "requirement" of Raaneka's secession meant that the Triumverate, now the Umoja wa Jamhuri za Radurja... was more mercenary than ally.

"It is seen now that this is not the case. Guilder is not backing the other complaints, and we are thus satisfied with the conference." He nods to all.

"But before it continues any farther, Lord Ridion... we submit and wait for your word."

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-05-19, 10:30 AM
Ridion listened to all that spoke, and even exchanged a meaningful glance at Lucas. Whether this was to keep Lucas from speaking, or to convey something of emotion to Ridion's cousin, that was for the onlooker to decide. The result was Lucas' silence, in any case. He also cast an appreciative glance at the other UJR representative.

"A man was tried and found guilty, was he not, for the issues that we are here to discuss? Forgive Lelian for her harsh words, but this kind of thing is precisely why we are here to begin with. Lelian echos what I have heard throughout my lands and my people, both those in power, and those not. I believe the demand for Raaneka back to be the easiest conclusion for those that feel wronged by the fallout of the war, and one I could no longer ignore to request. I would say Lyradis shared much in the happenings of Raaneka's history, both old and new. And I would like for that to not stop being true in the future, whatever be decided this day. Truely, I ask for the desires of the people within Raankea, Qarimos, and Ayava - a vote, perhaps, to be had to see what public opinion is in these regions. The people of Raaneka chose to enter your lands, and I only ask - Would they choose to return? I would not force a people back into our folds against their will, no matter the demands of my people. Doing so would be...following in the footsteps of a certain common enemy, I'd expect.

Chancellor, I did not come to bicker of the past, nor to declare war. I came to try and solve this unrest, and to once again ensure no rifts between yours and mine - for the safety of both our great powers. I believe our nations divided would pose a great disadvantage to both of us, after all. Above all, I believe the most important thing we are here for is aid in securing the Empire of Dawn. The "peace" of the Sunset War has officially ended, even the peace with the Salterri comes to an end soon, if it hasn't already ended with the division of the Empire. Even then, it was only the word of enemies that they would not attack...and I no longer wish to live hearing rumor that our Empire is on the brink of collapse, as some have suggested. In the time of peace, Tzalteclan has swelled to well beyond anything the Empire of Dawn has ever grown, and it's fingers are reaching ever further. Raaneka would cement the Empire's security, certainly, but there are also other ways, should the people of Raaneka not wish it."

zabbarot
2015-05-19, 11:57 AM
Chancellor Hammer nodded in agreement. A common enemy indeed. Perhaps it was time to change tracks.

"I hear and I understand, but that does not mean I will agree. I was elected in an openly. Every citizen of this nation had their say. I represent their voice and their will, so long as they trust me with it. For now the answer is no. Raaneki idealism has done much to reinvigorate the UJR. We've rid the Senate of corruption, and ridden that rising tide of idealism to where we are now, taking better care of ourselves and our neighbors. Perhaps this answer could change in the future, people always have a choice, but for now it is firm.

"There are other beliefs the people of Raaneka, Qarimos, and Ayava share though. They believe the Empire of Dawn is their greatest ally. They believe that peace between us can only make the world as a whole greater. And they believe that you are a good leader. You have no obligation to be anything but a tyrant and here you are championing the voice of your people. That is something they respect, and it is something I respect.

"So long as we are able to respect each other I believe our nations can flourish hand in hand. We can change the world together. Which brings me to something that concerns us both, and should interest you deeply. A plot is bubbling up, and informants from many corners would like to see it stopped. I, personally, have been asked to contract the Old Guild to remove Meztli of Faedas before the Tzalteca have a chance to put her on the throne. An agent of the Salterri came to me. I do not fully trust them though. They would not deal in writing, and had no interest in firm contracts. They only wish for the UJR to protect their interest while they distance themselves from any undesirable aftermath.

"But you also have interest in the Throne of Faedas. Neither of us wishes to have a Tzaltec client state on our doorstep, and I have heard whispers that your cousin is also in danger. Is that true?"

TheWombatOfDoom
2015-05-19, 01:09 PM
Ridion paused and considered what he was just told, and compared it to what he knew, as well as his correspondences with the Seabourne Confederacy.

"Edward has written to me, and what you say confirms that the second in line has also reached out to the Salterri, for similar reason. There seems to be some sort of ploy in which Tzalteclan is attempting to have Metzli succeed the throne. How this can occur with Loris still in power, it is unknown, but Edward feared for the life of his family as well as himself. This does not leave this room, as he risked his life to give me this information. I spoke to the Seabourne Confederacy to request aid in getting Alicia and Edward and their daughter out of Faedas for their protection, but had no confirmations that they would truely assist her. They have much to gain, just as Tzaltec, should Alicia be slain. I would prefer both heirs are spared, but that they are asking for your assistance at least tells me they will take measures to secure at least their heir.

As for assassination, I have a strong distaste for the stuff. Assassinations are what caused the Sunset war to begin in the first place, and through it we were falsely given blame for its start. My advice, for what its worth, is to not send assassins whatsoever. Using them is damning yourself, as I assume Tzalteclan will eventually learn, should the Gods be kind. I have another plan to rescue Alicia.

Explains plan.

Still, even if you aid in such a plan - the details of this plan surely assist us, but publically speaking, no one will ever know of it. It will not satisfy the people. Therefore, to assist in securing the empire of dawn, what ideas do you have that we can publically show for restitution? Many of our nations would benifit from fortifications, and we would welcome assistance in raising troops. Perhaps other projects. Conquoring aquatic regions to assist Guilder in reclaiming its status as a Great Kingdom within the empire or even Esuma, who could benifit with attaining the same status. What are your thoughts on these?"

SamBurke
2015-05-19, 01:47 PM
Lelian continues to slump in her chair, and Wesley interjects. "Apologies for the interruption, lords, but I request that the Doge be given medical care immediately; or removed from the room. She appears to be in great distress."

He waits until this request is properly addressed, and continues.

"Yes. I do not believe that splitting the Rajurdic Republics as they exist today would greatly serve any; it would reshuffle peoples and lands between those whose peoples and lands are already in unity. This, as a Prince might say, profits but poor. Instead, I would fain garner assistance, whether in completing the academy that my great-great grandfather began, in providing fortifications and housing for the people of Rannara, or the like.

"I believe this would serve many purposes, of bringing allies alongside each other, of providing for a bulwark against The Enemy, and the like."

zabbarot
2015-05-19, 02:16 PM
The meeting is briefly sidetracked as aides rush to help Doge Lelian out of the room. "Hopefully she will feel a bit better with rest. Is your staff prepared to attend to her, we can send for a doctor?" With that settled as much as possible Hammer turned back to the meeting.

"First things first, this plot and plan. The Children of Kina will likely be preoccupied with attempting to safely remove Queen Lorisanth from Faedas until the dust settles. I have reason to believe that this is a multifaceted plan. The queen will be abducted, and... altered in a way similar to what was done with Doge Wesley." The chancellor glanced towards Wesley at the table. The gravity of the claim was apparent. "In the mean time, Meztli would take the throne, likely flirting with uprising over a combination of how she obtained it and drastic policy shifts to align the nation more fully with Tzalteclan. Then before she loses control, the Tzaltecla will reintroduce their ... altered version of Queen Lorisanth, who if they have their way will not only be the rightful claimant to the throne, but also now be an outspoken voice for Tzalteclan's goals.

"I do truly believe that when this is all said and done where Queen Lorisanth ends up will be of more importance than who sits on the throne while she is away. Doge Wesley... you have ... experience in these matters. If Lorisanth is abducted what would you recommend? You seem to have recovered could we hope the same for her? Or would it be better to place a knife in her breast and spare her family the pain? Please do not think I say this coldly. The goddess Kina sees to her flock. Queen Lorisanth would be quickly returned to this world and made new, I believe. This is something she shares with my Lady Anagua of the Rivers.

"Your plan has obvious merits. Let those who wish to be murderers be murderers, while we allow our own to stay safe. You can count on our help in this. As to your other suggestions however, our options may be more limited. We can definitely assist with public works. Infrastructure and fortifications are our specialty. No doubt we have many willing to travel abroad and continue their new found profession. Aiding Guilder in the completion of the long unfinished academy, or sending housing aid to Rannara are grand examples of what we are good at.

"Conquering how ever is not. We have not conquered territory in over a century. Democracy does not lend itself well to the heavy boots of occupation. We can aid you in diplomatic endeavors, and will always assist you in maintaining your holdings. We may have... friends who could assist in our stead, but I honestly find the idea distasteful, and would prefer to remain distanced from it."