PDA

View Full Version : Traveller Build, need's hints...

JackMage666
2007-04-19, 06:27 PM
Alright, so my character is about to die, since my DM has proclaimed it will happen. Sure, I've thwarted his attempts thusfar, but pretty soon, it'll be either me die, or TPK, I'm sure. So, I'm building my backup character - A Pacifistic style (not truely, but he tries), traveller style character. So far, the build I have is this...

Water Halfling (UA) Scout 4/Ape Totem Barbarian 1 (UA)/Horizon Walker 3. (ECL 8)

This sets me up with a Climb Speed of 20 ft, and a Swim and Land Speed of 30 ft, as well as immunity to fatigue. He also has a Cloak of Comfort (for Endure Elements) and a Ring of Sustenance. His belt of the monk makes it so he can do unarmed strikes, as well as allows him to go without armor, making it so he's carrying a total of 7 pounds of equipment (thanks mainly to a 5 pound bag of stones, which are his weapons, but only if he needs them).

How does this look for a traveller build? He seems to have everything someone would need to get along in the wild, self-sufficiently, but I can't help but think I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I know I could just go Raptoran, but I was trying to do this without a Fly speed as well, since it doesn't fit my character style.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-19, 06:34 PM
Don't be a halfling, if you can, for this build. Reduced carrying capacity and strength are un-useful, and reduced landspeed is likewise a bad idea. Were you to be a small character, gnome would fit better for endurance.

And explain to me how being a water halfling ties in to having a monkey totem...

JackMage666
2007-04-19, 06:40 PM
Water Halfling was chosen for the Swim speed. It was either that or Orc, and I didn't want to have to deal with the party elves (though, the Str and Con would be nice).

The Ape-Totem was chosen for it's climb speed, a skill he learned after meeting a Barbarian tribe near mountains.

The character has travelled most of his life, and laerned alot of his skills from people he's met, including the Ape-Totem Barbarian climbing.

brian c
2007-04-19, 06:46 PM
Hm... honestly, taking Vow of Poverty will give you the benefits of the Ring of Sustenance and the Cloak of Comfort, plus more. Though if you want to be using magical items at any other point, it would be a hindrance to you. Just a thought.

JackMage666
2007-04-19, 06:51 PM
Yeah, it would, but the character isn't Exalted.. He's Good Alignment, but not an epitome, like exalted was made to be.
And, he'd be forced to fight unarmed (another feat, since he'd lose his belt), and lose his rocks (not covered in VoP). Either way, he's jsut a good guy, but by no means exalted.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-19, 08:19 PM
Really, a water halfling ape totem barbarian is worried about not reaching the fluff for a feat? I'm sorry, but that seems kind of absurd.
But then, in your campaign world, and with the concept, I guess I can see it.

Still, I don't think the Vow of Poverty would not let you carry around common rocks. And a quarterstaff (walking stick) would be a cheeper (feat wise)alternative to unarmed strike.

If you can come up with a backstory for the character, I don't see why you couldn't find a way to add in VoP. Plus, I REALLY want to see somone use VoP and not be a MONK (or to a lesser extent NINJA).

There are certain things which I think the VoP should allow. Rocks (not valuable rocks) and a holy symbol should be included.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-19, 08:30 PM
VoP is a bad choice. Avoid it.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-20, 07:34 AM
How is VoP a bad choice?

JellyPooga
2007-04-20, 07:47 AM
Don't be a halfling, if you can, for this build. Reduced carrying capacity and strength are un-useful, and reduced landspeed is likewise a bad idea. Were you to be a small character, gnome would fit better for endurance.

Reduced carrying cap for being small lets you carry more...comparitively. You get 3/4 carrying cap of a medium character, but your adventuring kit and weapons weigh half. That's +1/4 net. Addmitedly, this is balanced by the -2 Str that a halfling/gnome gets (resulting in a lower carry cap than a similar base Str medium character without the str penalty), but if you found a small non str penalty race...

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-20, 08:00 AM
How is VoP a bad choice?
You lose out on magic items. It is not worth it. Maybe in a very low wealth game where you won't be facing flying eneimes it could possible be worth it. Otherwise it just isn't that great.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-20, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but it helps in all the situations in which all your cool stuff is taken away, you can never lose it, and or flying opponents, throw rocks at them.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-20, 10:44 AM
Yeah, but it helps in all the situations in which all your cool stuff is taken away, you can never lose it, and or flying opponents, throw rocks at them.
Again, not worth it. And it forces you to be exalted. Which makes stick up the ass paladins look like baby killers by comparison.

Drwg
2007-04-20, 12:42 PM
If you can come up with a backstory for the character, I don't see why you couldn't find a way to add in VoP. Plus, I REALLY want to see somone use VoP and not be a MONK (or to a lesser extent NINJA).

I had a lot of fun with an exalted druid. With the class variant from PHB II, you can keep all of the VoP abilities in the shapeshifting form (with magic items you lose the bonuses) as well as granting swift action shapeshifts into the various forms. You get far more mobility than the build you gave has and a lot more resources at hand to deal with the different scenarios (like flying creatures).

Playing exalted characters isn't that bad (but playing LG exalted characters would suck).

Edit: Plus druids get lots of neat travel spells.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-20, 03:21 PM
...to be exalted you have to be LG. Exalted is a whole order of goodness more lawful good then lawful good is.

BardicDuelist
2007-04-20, 07:03 PM
Actually no you don't, and the BoED expressly says so. You can be CG and NG, it even provides a plethoera (sp?) of examples of such characters.

Exalted simply meand "extra-good" and does not apply to the L/C axis of things.

Indon
2007-04-20, 07:58 PM
Vow of Poverty has one significant downside which might well affect a traveler; you couldn't carry very much practical goods. A seasoned traveler might want to carry a rope and grappling hook, perhaps, or a spyglass (which is DEFINITELY out of the question with VoP).

Falconsflight
2007-04-20, 08:11 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030609x

This is a link to Fharlanghn's Garden. This gives you a PRC meant for traveling and two magic items also meant for traveling, Since Fharlanghn is the god of traveling, thought you might like it.

Must warn you though, it's not 3.5 (I don't know what edition it's from exactly.) But that shouldn't be too hard for you to fix, I mean, you have a dm who'll allow a Water halfling socut/ape totem barbarian.

AT the very least the items are actually kind of nice for a traveler, allowing you easier access to teleport places and an amulet that tells you where you must go.

Matthew
2007-04-20, 09:28 PM
Great link. I had forgotten all about that series of articles.