PDA

View Full Version : Boosting UMD scroll checks for Wizards

Pippin
2015-05-12, 03:48 PM
Hey playground,

I'm trying to list all the realistic ways to boost UMD scroll checks for wizards, but there really doesn't seem to be many. All I could find, for now, is:

+2 Synergy with Spellcraft
+2 Synergy with Decipher Script
+5 [competence] with Spellsight Spectacles, MIC p. 138.

Let's say I'd like to cast 9th-level divine spells (DC 37), I already have the above +9 bonus, plus my Charisma modifier which would be +9 at best. So that's +18 and I need +18 more :smallannoyed:

Studoku
2015-05-12, 04:05 PM
Is taking cross-class ranks of UMD an option?

Pippin
2015-05-12, 04:11 PM
Is taking cross-class ranks of UMD an option?
Well UMD is Trained only right? So it's not.

FocusWolf413
2015-05-12, 04:17 PM
Custom item of guidance of the avatar?

Zaq
2015-05-12, 04:18 PM
Trained only doesn't mean you can't take cross-class ranks. It means you have to have at least one rank (purchased normally or purchased cross-class, doesn't matter) before you're even allowed to try the check. So you HAVE to buy at least some cross-class ranks before you can activate that scroll.

Pippin
2015-05-12, 04:21 PM
Trained only doesn't mean you can't take cross-class ranks. It means you have to have at least one rank (purchased normally or purchased cross-class, doesn't matter) before you're even allowed to try the check. So you HAVE to buy at least some cross-class ranks before you can activate that scroll.
How interesting, that's my bad.

In this case, I'll invest as many ranks as possible. So that's 11 ranks at level 20.

With a box
2015-05-12, 05:08 PM
Dip a loremaster and get UMD as class skill. if you once have it as class skill, max level of said skill increased to HD+3
or mage of arcan order

Cannith Wand Adept - Sharn
Dungeon Delver from CV
Effigy Master from CA
Loremaster - Core
Mage of the Arcane Order - CA
Fochluran Lyrist - CV
Nightsong Infiltrator - CV
Shadowbane Stalker - CV
Spymaster - CV
Wild Mage - CA
pick one

Studoku
2015-05-12, 05:47 PM
The Apprentice Spellcaster feat from DMGII gives you UMD as a class skill and can be taken at first level.

phlidwsn
2015-05-12, 07:25 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Mage's Spectacles) feat from MoI gives you a +4 insight to UMD among a few other skills.

Edit: Add in Nymph's Kiss for +2 circumstance, and if you're a dwarf for some reason, add in Moradin's Smile for +2 untyped. Don't forget Eagle's Splendor or cloak of charisma for a enhancement boost to CHA.

And lastly though a bit pricy: Admiral's Bicorne from Stormwrack p131 gives a +5 untyped to all CHA checks for 51,000gp

WhamBamSam
2015-05-12, 10:09 PM
Moment of Prescience is a +CL (max 25) insight bonus to any one skill check among other things.

Heroism and its Greater version can give bonuses to skill checks.

You can also UMD wands (or just use an Eternal Wand, without even needing UMD) of spells like Guidance of the Avatar, Inspiration, Surge of Fortune, etc. to boost checks.

Curmudgeon
2015-05-13, 01:51 AM
The Apprentice (Spellcaster) feat from DMGII (page 176) gives you UMD as a class skill and can but must be taken at first level.
I fixed that for you.