PDA

View Full Version : Roguelike: Dagna Blackstone

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 05:50 PM
The lone blacksmith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1142080) has taken it upon herself to descend into the fabled Lost Labyrinth of Devastation, the infamous dungeon said to contain both an infinite number of floors and the artifact known as The Arcane Tablets of Dide, fabled to be able to correct any magical disaster and bring peace back to the world.

She finds herself descending into a long, branching hallway, smooth stone lining the floor, the walls clearly the product of superior masonry. It's oddly warm, and as she hits the final step she hears an odd, ghostly music filling the dungeon.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2001%20p layer%20-%201a_zpsoxv3rhfh.png

Make sure it's clear which hallway you're going down, any checks you're making along the way, and whatnot! Figured I'd rather reveal up to the doors instead of going inch by inch.

(OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414943-Roguelike-Dungeoncrawl-OOC))

arccos
2015-05-12, 06:08 PM
Well. This was rather more pleasant than she had expected. She steps down the stairs carefully, then pauses to enjoy the music for a second. Making sure her shield, hammers and axe are all readily available to be drawn, she unties the ten-foot pole from where it was fastened to the side of her backpack.

This is it.

She takes a moment to let it sink in. She was sorrounded by masonry, nice masonry, really, and could glimpse a side passage just at the edge of her darkvision. She'd probably be going that way. She plods forward, making sure to put good pressure with her pole on the every bit on of the floor in front of her she's going to step on. When she reaches the side passage, she continues, long enough to poke her head around the bend in the main tunnel. Seeing nothing but an identical tunnel, she decides to explore the side passage first. She clinks back, still plodding the floor with her pole. I know I've just stepped here, but it'll get me into a habit!

The side passage takes her to a door. She stops to listen, trying to get a sense of what's on the other side. Meanwhile, she reties the pole to the side of her backpack, drawing her shield in preparation for possible combat.

I also have stonecunning, so if she comes within 10ft of a trap or a secret door involving stonework, she can make a perception check at +4 total. Normal Perception checks are +2. I figure I'll let you roll the stonecunning rolls in secret, less metagaming that way.

Listen to hear beyond the door: [roll0]

I'm going for the door nearest the stairs.

Regardless of what she hears, she opens the door, ready to explore the area beyond.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 06:19 PM
Nothing along the hallway seems to be set off by her ten foot pole, nor does she sense anything wrong within the stonework. Along the southern hallway as she peeks down it, she sees small alcoves carved into the walls, but nothing seems to be kept there.

Similarly, as she stops to listen at the door, she hears nothing, though does notice the door is locked if she ends up trying it.

arccos
2015-05-12, 06:27 PM
Noticing the door is locked, Dagna takes a step back, draws her axe, and then kicks the door as hard as she can, trying to put all her weight on the lock.

If at first she doesn't succeed, she keeps at it untill she does.

Strength check to break it down in one action; [roll0]
If that fails to break it, she takes 20, abandoning all hope of surprise.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 06:36 PM
The door breaks with earth-shattering intensity, splintering inward and falling to the floor, revealing a large, mostly barren room to her, as well as four orcs in bedrolls being startled awake around a snuffed out campfire.

You have a surprise round since you got it open in one.
Initiative for afterward:
Orc 1: [roll0]
Orc 2: [roll1]
Orc 3: [roll2]
Orc 4: [roll3]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/5f6f5804-2d5e-4778-844e-a13bff4cc34e_zpstvnlxov4.png

The skulls are the orcs. I'll mainly update the map when needed or on request.

arccos
2015-05-12, 06:48 PM
Dagna lumbered into the room, hugging the righthand wall as she advanced on the orcs.

Way to make an entrance. Sadly, I don't have a ranged weapon drawn, and standard action charges are only 20ft. Still, that should put her in the square three squares east of the top of the staircase.

Initiative: [roll0]
I fear it'll be the orcs' turn now.

Edit: I'm on a roll, it seems! Gotta love hatred, too.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 06:51 PM
Your turn, even so, look at your roll, heh.

arccos
2015-05-12, 06:57 PM
"Dodo Ghozvol!"

That was the traditional battlecry for killing orcs.

She advances, and swings her axe at the nearest one.

If they count as prone, she moves to the square where she has one north of her, and one west of her. Otherwise, she moves into the square below that.

Regardless, she attacks the southernmost orc.
To hit with her waraxe(hatred included): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:01 PM
The blow misses, the Orcs managing to roll aside, grabbing their falchions from their hilts hidden beneath their bedrolls, and clambering to their feet. Thankfully, they can't do much else right now.

You do indeed get an AoO. That's all of their actions; move to draw weapon, move to get up.

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:06 PM
She swings at the southernmost orc twice in quick succession. Her aim is horrible - Maybe she should not be trying to fight with all this gea- Waah! those look sharp!

AoO:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

If this puts it down, I'll redirect my actual attack to the eastern orc. Otherwise I hit the southern one again. Once her attack is done, she 5'steps to the square directly below the (now hopefully dead) southern orc.

Attack:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Edit: holy cow.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:15 PM
Lacking any armor (Though she can't see where they might be keeping it), as it would be hard to sleep in it, the war axe manages to cleave into the beast's unprotected chest, felling him and causing his sword to clatter to the ground as he falls backward in a slump.

The other two quickly move to flanking positions around her, as the one already nearby her takes a swing with its sword, but its easily reflected by her shield. As the other two find their position, they too take a swing, but one finds only air above her head and the other can't seem to penetrate the armor protecting her back.

You're flanked at northeast and southwest, with the other still north of you.

Luckily, the dice hate them as much as you. All misses.

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:24 PM
She swings her axe desperately at the orcs as they circle to sorround her. This was really a bit close for comfort.

I attack the south-eastern one;
Attack:[roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:29 PM
The next Orc falls to the ground, lifeless and bloody, as her armor reflects two more blows, her armor just barely keeping their blades at bay.

I'm assuming you meant southwest, as there's no southeast, and that's harder for them to re-flank. Correct me if I'm wrong.

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:33 PM
Dagna gets her shield up just in time to avoid a bisecting slash from one of those wickedly curved blades.

Sheesh.

She swings her axe right back at the orc, hoping to put both of them on the defensive.

Yes, you're right, I had flipped west and east in my mind.:smallredface:

I'm attacking either of the two remaining ones, doesn't matter which.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:36 PM
Another Orc falls and the last one bellows out angrily. It throws its weight on her and chops down with the blade, hitting a weak point in her armor and cutting deeply.

Damage dealt: [roll0]
(You're lucky, it rolled a 20 but didn't confirm)

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:39 PM
Dagna grunts in pain from the slash. She was bleeding quite a bit. Still, she couldn't be paying attention to that kind of thing right now. She chopped at the last remaining foe. She felt her arms react quite wierdly - something was not quite right with how she moved, and it threw off her aim.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:42 PM
Her own attack misses, but thankfully she can easily deflect the followup swipe by the angered Orc.

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:43 PM
She threw herself into another attack. This was cutting it really, really close, no pun intended.

She landed a hit, but the angle was bad - he'd probably still be able to fight.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:45 PM
The blow is indeed shallow, and seems to just make the Orc angry. Thankfully, said anger makes it a bit clumsy; its blade hits, bypassing her shield but her armor thankfully keeps her from feeling the cut of it herself.

arccos
2015-05-12, 07:48 PM
Dagna shifts on her feet as she tries to leverage the glancing blow into a proper hit to the orc's chest.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 07:53 PM
The last Orc falls lifelessly to the ground, the floor around her now liberally coated with the blood of the humanoids.

Now that she's not fighting for her life, she can see that on the southern wall a high quality (masterwork) tower shield is hung up. The orcs have little more than their weapons onhand, and there's no sign of their armor in this room.

The door to the northwest is a sturdy looking wooden door. The room is otherwise eerily bare.

arccos
2015-05-12, 08:10 PM
Dagna draws a couple of heavy breaths. She then goes about gathering the weapons and the tower shield, making sure they're well strapped in with the rest of her gear. She gives the dead bodies one last pat-down to see if they've anything valuable hidden she might've missed, then makes sure they're really dead with a swing of her axe, and goes on to check on the north-western door.

perception to check the dead orcs and their beddings for stuff she might have missed;
[roll0]

Perception check to listen beyond the north-western door. While we're at it, she also listens if she can hear anyone moving around in the tunnels behind her, seeing as the noise might have attracted something;
[roll1]

Finally, she tries to open the north-western door.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 08:14 PM
She can't find anything else amongst the orcs beyond some meat that likely went past its prime days ago buried amongst the bedrolls. She doesn't hear anything in the nearby walls, nor at the door.

The aforementioned door doesn't appear to be locked, but doesn't budge, probably stuck or barred somehow from the other side.

arccos
2015-05-12, 08:18 PM
They've probably barred the door to keep the orcs from getting at them.

"Hello? Is anyone in there? I've killed the orcs; it should be safer now."

She spoke loudly, as to be heard on the other side, but still trying to sound reassuring.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 08:19 PM
There's no response.

arccos
2015-05-12, 08:23 PM
Dagna debates whether to try to force the door open. Might as well.

She gives it a testy push at first, in a vain hope that whatever it is will be easily dislodged.

Afterwards, she puts her back into it. A series of attempts has her working from different angles to put as much pressure on the weight as she can.

She's taking 20 on her strength check, for a result of 23.

Falco1029
2015-05-12, 08:34 PM
Little by little, she makes the door splinter, then crack, then finally shatter into a thousand bits of wood on the floor in front of her, revealing... another door. Or rather, a short hallway leading to a wooden portcullis. She can see into the next room, however, which seems to be a bit of an old fashioned torture chamber; several broken devices are scattered about the room, and at the northeast part of the eastern side there's a ten foot (wide and tall) spiked wall coated with blood, a skeletal corpse still hanging there, impaled on the spikes, though from her angle it's only barely visible. To the west, there's an archway, but she can't see past it from this angle.

Before she gets close enough to fiddle with the portcullis, however, she senses something; built into the wall nearby are two grooves that conceal an arrow trap, likely meant to be triggered if one attempts to force the portcullis open. Knowing where they are, she could attempt to trigger the trap from a slight distance and (probably) be safe.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2001%20p layer%201c_zpsway9nmvz.png

By the way, you got 540 XP from the Orcs, forgot to mention.

Triggering the trap from a distance would involve a strength check with something like your pole or an attack with a ranged or reach weapon.

arccos
2015-05-13, 02:24 AM
She props her new tower shield up against the wall, and goes about building a stand for it, so it could defend her from stray arrows from the trap while she was working. It had to be rather makeshift by neccessity, seeing as she had limited resources, but those falchions were pretty solid, for example, and she'd brought some string along for stuff like this.

Once she's satisfied that her work won't get better, what with the makeshift materials and everything, she picks up her pole, and tries to leverage the portcullis open with it, keeping her new tower shield stand at least partially between her and the mouth of the trap.

Craft(blacksmithing); [roll0]

Strength check; [roll1]

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 02:37 AM
The work with the tower shield is incredibly shoddy. In fact, when she presses the pole up against the portcullis, starting to lift, the tower shield immediately clatters to the ground as two arrows fire out from the wall!

But thankfully, it clattered simply from the vibration as those arrows both hit the other side of the hallway.

The portcullis isn't budging, though, meaning it likely will need a larger application of force to actually get open.

arccos
2015-05-13, 03:27 AM
Dagna lets up on the portcullis, then gives it another go with the pole, trying to make sure the trap is really sprung.

If no more arrows come shooting out, she ties her pole back to her pack, and drags the tower shield over to the portcullis, so she can kick it through with her feet while holding up the grate with her hands.

Then she squats down, grabs the bars, and heaves. And continues to pull for some time.

Taking 20 on the strength check to lift the portcullis.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 03:33 AM
Her strongest effort isn't even enough, unfortunately, the heavy gate seeming to resist any attempts to lift it up. If she wants to go through that way, she'll likely need to break it down.

If you want to essentially take the time needed to chop through it, let me know (because you won't get it in one attack). It may or may not draw attention.

arccos
2015-05-13, 03:43 AM
Dagna grunts, then slumps over, dissappointed, and shook her head. She could calways get back to the grate later. That chamber in there might have been a good place to rest though... Damn.

She abandons the portcullis, and seeks out an alternative route. She decides that exploring the side passage fully will probably be the best course of action. She plods along with her pole... until she hits the end of the tunnel. Huh. That's awfully suspucious. By the stone, there's probably a hidden door around here somewhere...

She spends a good deal of time carefully purviewing the stonework of the blind tunnel, trying to find a hidden door.

Taking 20 on searching the blind tunnel for secret doors. Result is 22, 24 if stonework is involved.
Edit: Would the arrow trap be worth xp?

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 03:50 AM
As she heads down that hallway, there's a sudden click as the pole is prodded against the ground, and suddenly the floor drops out, the thin stonework crumbling into a pit and threatening to take her pole with it (and maybe make her trip).

Make a DC20 reflex save to avoid losing your pole and falling prone

arccos
2015-05-13, 04:04 AM
Reflex - [roll0]

Sometimes I get really lucky.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 04:09 AM
With quick reflexes, she manages to pull the pole back and avoid losing her balance. After a bit, the stone settles, and it's clear there's enough room along the edges to move past and try her search.

Unfortunately, even with the time spent, she doesn't seem to find anything.

arccos
2015-05-13, 04:57 AM
Whew. That was close. Done with her investigation of the walls, she stands on the edge of the pit, and looks down. There might be something down there she could use...

Perception:
[roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 05:08 AM
There's unfortunately nothing in the hole, beyond the fallen rubble.

arccos
2015-05-13, 05:10 AM
Dagna decides to abandon the empty side corridor, going back to the unexplored tunnel she started in. She takes care to use her pole, the pit having just reminded her how important it is.

arccos
2015-05-13, 05:42 AM
Should she arrive at the door at the end of the corridor unmolested, she takes some time to listen at the door before trying to open it.

Perception(listen):
[roll0]

arccos
2015-05-13, 06:13 AM
As she walks down the corridor, she can feel her connection to the earth deepen, and its power surges in her, healing her wounds and invigorating her. She's ready to press on.

Spending a use of lay on hands; [roll0]
That's all of my uses/d.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 04:28 PM
She does indeed get to the doorway unmolested. The door itself seems safe, and there's nothing audible on the other side of it that she can tell. When she tries the handle, though, it's stuck, once again.

This generator just LOVED stuck doors for this level.

arccos
2015-05-13, 04:58 PM
She gives it a good kick. The last time she tried this, the result was quite rewarding, no reason to change up a good thing.

Strength check to knock it down;
[roll0]
If it fails, she takes 20.

My perception increased by +2 this level, by the by.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 05:19 PM
The kick doesn't do it, but with a bit more effort she manages to get the door open. It opens into a fairly large room, but entirely empty, devoid of any obvious signs of life, and as dark as the rest of the level. There's a portcullis off to the north and an archway to the east (west end of the room, but east when one comes inside) which leads into a hallway.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2001%20p layer%201d_zps60vtwuud.png

arccos
2015-05-13, 05:22 PM
Dagna examined the apparently empty archway. Did it have another portcullis? If so, and she could find the closing mechanism, she might be able to have some uninterrupted rest before moving forwards.

She was getting pretty tired - it might be time to call it a day soon enough.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 05:23 PM
There's no apparent portcullis there in the empty archway, unfortunately.

arccos
2015-05-13, 05:40 PM
There was something unsettling about the two archways, one containing a portcullis, one wide open, both leading into the same tunnel.

While whoever built this had quite the skill at masonry, they couldn't be very bright. Setting a portcullis and then building a tunnel immediately next to it that allowed bypassing the gate was... It was like whoever built this wasn't remotely humanoid.

She shuddered. Best not linger here.

She made sure to keep up with prodding the floor as she went. Maybe there was a trap on the open arch, and the apparent ease of passage was meant as a bait of sorts. She found herself half-way hoping there was a trap.

Dagna continued down the open tunnel, keeping left as it bent. The ethereal music seemed to her less soothing than it had when she first entered the maze.

"Torag, lead me to the light of your forge. Lead my hand, that my hammer may strike true, and from the fires rise creation."

Speaking felt good. It'd been hours since she'd last heard a voice, she realised. The prayer centered her, and let her focus of the feeling of stone, unyielding beneath her boots.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 05:53 PM
As she heads into the hallway, she notices a fairly well made iron chandelier hanging from the ceiling, though it's not currently lit; she only notices it because of her own darkvision, as with the rest of the dungeon so far.

The prodding causes another click to be heard, but unlike last time, it's not a pit, instead a spiked flail fires upward from the floor, attached to a chain and pushing the pole aside (thankfully not breaking it) before continuing onward to slam into the front of Dagna, a sharp bit of pain felt as the chained ball bounces off and falls to the floor.

Damage taken: [roll0]

Worth 800xp, since living through counts as defeating it. Ridiculous, with that damage, isn't it? But I dare not question the almighty generator.

arccos
2015-05-13, 06:47 PM
Dagna takes the blow from the flail, almost happy it was there, even as it stung.

She shakes her arm, to get the sting out of it, then continued on down the tunnel to the left.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 06:51 PM
The hallway leads into another, coming to a dead end quickly on the right, and then expanding past her darkvision to the left, although if she goes that way she won't find anything there, either.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2001%20p layer%201e_zpsekrvhgbf.png

arccos
2015-05-13, 07:10 PM
Dagna set all of her things at the far end of the corridor. It was somewhat tight, cozy, in a way; she decided against putting up her tent, instead rolled out her bedroll, and laid out her blanket. She was tired, but she set about taking off her armor, and put her shield and axe within easy reach. Once her armor was off, she ate.

Afterwards, she spent an hour in prayer, sewing up her tunic where a falchion had slashed it up pretty good. She had no forge, so there really wasn't much opportunity for proper devotion to Torag, but small acts of creation counted too, she knew.

That done, she laid down to sleep. Hopefully she wouldn't wake up dead.

Taking a night's rest at the very end of the hallway. Do hit me with your random encounter generator, if you feel so inclined.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 07:37 PM
Her sleep goes undisturbed, and she wakes up fully rested.

Heh, no wandering monsters in this generation, which is where I'm pulling random encounters from as a general rule.

arccos
2015-05-13, 08:02 PM
In the 'morning', after getting her armor on and packing her things, she spends half an hour carefully pooring over the western wall - she had a feeling there might be a way to bypass the portcullis in the torture chamber.

That's nice. Dagna needs her rest. Maybe I can return to this floor later to sleep, or something.

Taking 20 to see if there are any secret doors in the western wall of the corridor, or the top. It seems searching a square is a move action, so taking 20 takes a minute.

Perception is 24, 26 if stonecunning applies.

If she doesn't find anything, she'll make her way to the torture chamber area, and begin hacking down the portcullis blocking her way there. She pokes it with her pole to make sure the arrow trap hasn't reset.

Falco1029
2015-05-13, 08:18 PM
There's no secret doors in any of those areas, as far as she can tell, but thankfully it doesn't take TOO long to bash through the portcullis. However, she should be thankful there's nothing wandering around given how noisy the whole process is.

Still, she finds her way into the torture chamber of sorts, and sees that the archway leads into another darkened hallway.

I'm not going to remake the map again for it; the archway leads to another dead end. But do tell me where in the room and hallway you go.

arccos
2015-05-14, 05:27 AM
Dagna makes a beeline for the hallway beyond the chamber first, and explores that side passage. Then she returns to the chamber and explores it thouroughly, rifling through whatever torture instruments left behind, hitting the whole thing with detect evil, and paying special interest to the north-eastern corner, which seems somehow segregated from the rest of it.

Perception to find... Stuff, in the chamber;
[roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-14, 05:54 AM
In the northeastern corner she notices two things. One, she notices that the wall there is not as thick as at the rest of the wall, specifically behind the spiked implement covering it. By pulling on the spikes, she could open it like a door.

However, she also realized that in doing so, it will trigger the magical explosive that's embedded between the secret door and the wall, the slight impression left in each part of the stone something her dwarven eyes easily picked up on.

Unfortunately, without some knowledge of engineering, or ability with alchemy or trapmaking, it's impossible to know just how intense or far reaching said explosive might be.

arccos
2015-05-14, 06:01 AM
Huh. This was a problem.

However, she might be able to... Yeah. That might work.

She dug around in her gear untill she found her rope. Securing one end of it to the spikes on one side of the door, she walked the full fifty feet away from the door. She didn't know how large the explosion would be, and it was better to be safe than sorry.

She also has a grappling hook she might use to help fasten the rope to the door, if neccesary.

Falco1029
2015-05-14, 06:05 AM
*BOOM*

A thunderous roar echoes outward from the spide-laden secret door as the sonic mine goes off, utterly decimating everything within a ten foot radius of it, and slamming the door open. Thankfully, the rope is broken apart at that end too, so she isn't tugged along, though 10 feet of that rope is utterly useless now.

However, there's now an open passageway, bending immediately around a corner towards the stairs down.

Not worth a map update; it leads around a corner after 20 feet and then immediately descends downward.

I'm headed off for now, but in the meantime, mention if you want to rest before descending or whatever else you wanna do first, or else just say you descend and you'll be on a new floor later!

arccos
2015-05-14, 06:11 AM
Dagna decides to take some time out to rest before she explores the newly opened area.
She laments the loss of part of her rope, but it couldn't be helped, really. At least it wasn't her that got blown up. She cuts off the frayed end with her dagger.

Spending my use of lay on hands, then rests for the night.
[roll0]

All right, have a nice day :smallbiggrin:

Way to end this level with a bang, by the way.

Falco1029
2015-05-14, 09:19 PM
Descending down the steps, the walls shift a bit, reinforced masonry of a slightly different color lining the walls. The smooth stone floor almost seems to radiate the cool air that surrounds the area, but unlike the level above, torches and lamps seem to line the upper areas of the walls, providing plenty of light to see by, allowing her to avoid relying on her darkivsion.

She sees various twists and turns up ahead, plenty of options as to which direction to explore.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2002%20p layer%20-%20Copy_zpstzttoeli.png

arccos
2015-05-14, 09:43 PM
Dagna is somewhat unsettled by the lights, after having moved around in darkness for a few days.

Still, she had better get about her business. She takes the right-hand path, delving off into the western side passage. She makes sure to prod the floor in front of her with her pole. This was new territory, and probably laden with traps.

When she reaches the door, she pauses to listen, before trying to open it.

Perception to listen: [roll0]

Also, if it's locked or stuck, she'll attempt to break it down with a strength check;
[roll1]
If it fails, she takes 20.

Falco1029
2015-05-14, 09:52 PM
She doesn't hear anything at the door, and doesn't encounter traps on the way to it. The door is stuck, though, and her first hit doesn't do the trick.

Unfortunately, as she starts into her subsequent attempts, it seems to attract some attention. She hears nothing at first. In fact, what suddenly tells her something is there is when she feels a dagger attempting to pierce through her armor, but the tough metal thankfully deflects it, pushing Dagna forward a bit.

What she sees, assuming she turns around, is a small creature, humanoid in shape but covered in black rags, only its hands and nose visible, both a pale white color, one of the former clutching a dagger covered in a foul smelling black paste. It rears back, ready to strike again.

It took a surprise round because it beat your perception while you were smashing the door. Luckily it had a crappy roll.

Initiative: [roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-15, 04:16 AM
The creature quickly tries to make another attack, but once again the dagger is deflected by her armor.

arccos
2015-05-15, 04:40 AM
She's slow to turn around, caught off guard by the sneaky fellow.

Once she's facing it, she brings her axe to bear. She can almost feel the stone under her surge as she lunges.

Using a Stone Strike:
[roll0]
[roll1]

If it's a goblinoid, she gets +1 to hit as well.

arccos
2015-05-15, 04:41 AM
[roll0](+1 vs goblinoids & orcs)
[roll1]

Falco1029
2015-05-15, 04:47 AM
There's a sickening sound as the axe cleaves through rags, skin, flesh, and bone, a spurt of blood spilling out onto the floor and Dagna's boots. The thing is thoroughly bifurcated, lying in two halves on the floor, motionless.

Nice. 600xp

arccos
2015-05-15, 03:35 PM
Dagna searches the body, then resumes kicking down the door.

Yay! level 3!

Take 20 on the search check on the ?goblin?
Then I finish taking 20 on kicking down the door.

Falco1029
2015-05-15, 05:17 PM
She finds the dagger, of course, and 3 doses of the poison it was using. In addition, there's also a Scroll and a Wand on it, although she'd need some ability to read and study magic to know exactly what. With a little more effort, she finds 23 gold in a small pouch.

Kicking the door down, she's met with... an empty room. A large, empty room, at least at first glance. She does note that someone has scrawled "The Staff of Candles shall be found when the sun is eclipsed in the Crown" on the north wall.

Near the south of the room, there's a bit of a scratching sound; if she goes in and looks through the portcullis on the eastern wall, she notices why. It takes a few moments, but it's clear that something's in there; a large, quivering cube of slime and muck that seems to slide back and forth every once in a while, a broken sword scraping the ground. The door and portcullis must be designed to keep it in there. Not much of a jail cell, but it seems to work.

Knowledges would be needed to know exactly what it is, hehe. Same with the cube but that one's not rocket science OOCly XD.

Poison stats: black smear—injury; save Fort DC 15; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d2 Str; cure 1 save.

EDIT: Forgot your map

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2002%20p layer%20-%20Copy%202_zps61i4omdu.png

arccos
2015-05-16, 07:53 AM
She could leave it there... But that sword might be useful at some point. Maybe. If it wasn't too badly damaged. It seemed a shame to let it rot inside that thing... It irked her a lot, actually.

She decided to take her time searching the room before figuring out what to do with the blob. Maybe she'd just leave it there.

Taking 20 to search the room. 25.

Falco1029
2015-05-16, 08:34 PM
She finds nothing else within the room.

arccos
2015-05-20, 02:31 PM
Dagna leaves the blob behind. Perhaps it would starve in there... Or maybe not. She could always get back to it later.

As always, she tests the floor in front of her with her pole before she steps down on it. Her wanderings take her to yet another door, which she examines, carefully as ever.

I'm moving to the door immediately east of the stairs.

Listen: [roll0]
Search for traps: [roll1]

Then she tests the handle, and if it's locked or stuck, she attempts to kick it down.
Str: [roll2]
If that doesn't work, she takes 20, for a result of 23.

Falco1029
2015-05-20, 02:45 PM
The door to the east of the stairs is actually a portcullis. She can see inside the room, which is darker than the rest of the floor, with no obvious torches within.

What she does see, however, is bats, hanging from the ceiling and spread throughout the room. As she approaches the portcullis, though, they all seem to react rather angrily, flying down and towards the gate, flying in a circle nearby it. They're not quite of the mind to try and squeeze through, however.

She could always just slip away, but she can see another doorway on the left side of the room, past the bats. She could also continue to lift the portcullis, if she wanted.

Let me know if you still want to take a 20 to lift/break the portcullis. You can, but I don't want to assume with bats right on the other side.

B is for bats. If that wasn't clear.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2002%20p layer%20-%20Copy%203_zps8wf4lytb.png

arccos
2015-05-20, 03:35 PM
The bat swarms give her pause, and she veers off to explore the rest of the complex.

Argh, a swarm! Better see if I can't find something else to fight.

Making for that other portcullis, unless something happens along the way.

Falco1029
2015-05-20, 04:36 PM
On the way towards the other portcullis, she spots a demonic idle in that same hallway on the way, followed by iron torches lining the wall in a more rigid pattern than the more typical wooden ones lining the rest of the area.

There's definitely something odd about the idol, however.

Regardless, there are no traps (At least none that she triggered) or other creatures on the way, and she ends up getting to the portcullis with little issue, able to look through the iron portcullis (as opposed to the earlier wood one) and see another room that veers off to her left (east) a bit. There's an archway on the far end she can also see into a bit.

Feel free to make a perception check

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/falco1029/GM%20stuff/The%20Lost%20Labyrinth%20of%20Devastation%2002%20p layer%20-%20Copy%204_zpsn4cdrtxv.png

arccos
2015-05-20, 05:40 PM
Dagna stops briefly on the way to examine the idol. Huh. That was really odd, to be sure. Profane sculpture and symbolism like this was an affront to Torag.

Furrowing her brow, she continued onwards.

The idol had put her in a bad mood; it dropped even lower when she was greeted by the portcullis. It was iron this time; she probably couldn't put it down with her axe. She had brought some acid with her, which might be able to eat through a bar or two, but it certainly wouldn't put down the grate. Besides, the acid was her back-up plan for those bats in the other room.

She could hack through, if she let Torag empower her strikes, but she'd have to meditate for a few days - under normal circumstances, her axe would wear down before she even made it half-way.

Grumbling, she made her way back to the chamber with the slimy blob. If she was going to have to stay a few days, she might as well make sure she wasn't stabbed in the back. Again.

Back in the western room, Dagna draws one of her hammers and her shield. She waits until the slimy blob is near the portcullis, then tries to kick down the other door. If successful, she'll try to run a bit into the open space before the thing realizes its free, so she has some room for throwing hammers at the ooze when it tries to pursue her.

She hopes it isn't smart. Or too tough for her to deal with.

[roll0]

Falco1029
2015-05-21, 08:38 AM
She can hear the thing move as she kicks the door, which of course doesn't budge with that weak kick. She can keep trying, but at this point it seems well aware there's someone at the door.