PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Martial Archetype - Gladiator (A warrior that rewards brazen action) [PEACH]

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-12, 08:04 PM
Gladiator
The gladiator is a warrior that revels in the life-and-death struggle of combat and the cries of admiration from onlookers of their bloody art. Adept at dueling and battles royale, the gladiator simply enjoys the thrill of combat and the warm spray of blood.

Bonus Proficiencies
You gain proficiency in the Performance skill, and are proficient with improvised weapons.

Gladiatorial Combat
Starting at 3rd level, you develop a flair for the dramatic, mastering unorthodox weapons and turning battle into a spectacle. You may treat shields as improvised weapons. Additionally, when you hit a creature with a whip, an improvised weapon, or a weapon with the thrown property, the next attack made against that creature has advantage.

Crowd’s Favor
By 3rd level you are an incorrigible ham, and treat life or death situations as a spectacle of entertainment. When you roll initiative, you can also make a Performance check. You can use the higher of the two rolls for your initiative that combat.

Adrenaline Rush
By 7th level you laugh in the face of danger, and have advantage on saving throws against being frightened. Additionally while you're not wearing heavy armor, if a hostile creature damages you with a critical hit, damages you with an opportunity attack, or attempts to frighten you with an effect, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your Constitution modifier. These temporary hit points last until you finish a short or long rest.

Brutal Combat
Starting at 10th level, your weapon attacks become more brutal as you suffer wounds of your own. As long as your current hit points are less than or equal to half of your hit point maximum, you roll an additional weapon damage die on attack rolls made with advantage.

Thirst for Battle
By 15th level, bloodshed sustains you even as you stand at death’s door. Whenever you reduce a creature that dealt damage to you this combat to 0 hit points, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 2d10 + your Constitution modifier. These hit points last until you finish a short or long rest.

Showstopper
At 18th level, you turn critical hits into grand finales. Whenever you score a critical hit, you roll the damage dice three times instead of twice. Additionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw (save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, your choice). On a failed save, the target is stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature with legendary actions can also repeat this saving throw as a legendary action.

I added a clarification that you're proficient with improvised weapons, and can treat shields as such. Setting the damage die is unnecessary; if the weapon resembles an existing weapon, it uses that weapon's properties. Otherwise, it deals 1d4 damage. (Plus, the Tavern Brawler feat doesn't specify damage dice, so I'm going based on that template.)

Slightly tuned Gladiatorial Combat to better work with spears, javelins, and tridents, as well hand axes, daggers, throwing hammers... we'll see how it works out.

Still like Crowd's Favor as a ribbon.

Adrenaline rush was clarified to trigger upon damage being dealt by hostile creatures, and went ahead and cleaned up the language on being frightened. Also reduced the temporary hit points gained to curb shenanigans and ensure you're still taking damage, and you just have a buffer.

Kept brutal combat the same, as the things that give you free advantage are d4 and d6 weapons (d8 if trident/spear are used in two hands... but I don't think a d8 weapon is going to make things obnoxious every other hit).

Adjusted the temporary hit points gained by thirst for battle. Stronger than Adrenaline Rush, but just so that it's an actual reward for killing things. And unless you're fighting hordes of chumps, you shouldn't be killing something every turn. (and even then you're capped at 25 temporary hit points for the most part).

Added a ribbon about legendary actions to Showstopper, to keep it from making BBEGs too swingy.
Gladiator
The gladiator is a warrior that revels in the life-and-death struggle of combat and the cries of admiration from onlookers of their bloody art. Adept at dueling and battles royale, the gladiator simply enjoys the thrill of combat and the warm spray of blood.

Bonus Proficiencies
You gain proficiency in the Performance skill, and are proficient with shields used as improvised weapons, and add your ability modifier to the damage. Not sure if this is actually a necessary addendum, though it's not exactly clear in the PHB

Gladiatorial Combat
Starting at 3rd level, you develop a flair for the dramatic, mastering unorthodox weapons and turning battle into a spectacle. When you hit a creature with a shield, whip, or thrown weapon attack, the next attack made against that creature has advantage.

Crowd’s Favor
By 3rd level you are an incorrigible ham, and treat life or death situations as a spectacle of entertainment. When you roll initiative, you can also make a Charisma (Performance) check. You can use the higher of the two rolls for your initiative that combat.

Adrenaline Rush
By 7th level you laugh in the face of danger. While you're not wearing heavy armor, if a creature scores a critical hit against you, hits you with an opportunity attack, or you would be frightened by an effect, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your level in this class and are not frightened.

Brutal Combat
Starting at 10th level, your weapon attacks become more brutal as you suffer wounds of your own. As long as you are not at full hit points, you roll an additional weapon damage die on attack rolls made with advantage.

Thirst for Battle
By 15th level, bloodshed sustains you even as you stand at death’s door. Whenever you reduce a creature that dealt damage to you this combat to 0 hit points, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your level in this class.

Showstopper
At 18th level, you turn critical hits into grand finales. Whenever you score a critical hit, you roll the damage dice three times instead of twice. Addtionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw (save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, your choice). On a failed save, the target is stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

- - - - - - - - - -

I wanted to make an archetype reminiscent of the Battlerager fighter from 4e, though admittedly less broken (I was SORELY TEMPTED to have a teeny bit of temporary hp stacking but... I was able to hold fast). I wonder if adopting the Reckless Attack feature from Barbarian would be a good fit; I didn't want to steal their thunder, but it would be really flavorful (and the idea of you gaining temporary HP constantly would help mitigate the damage). Possibly a feature that lets you gain an ability modifier or proficiency temporary hit points per hit? Please feel free to leave some feedback!

khadgar567
2015-05-13, 11:28 AM
buddy i don't see the difference between bard with monk levels and a feat( aesthetic bard)and your arch type

roko10
2015-05-13, 11:53 AM
buddy i don't see the difference between bard with monk levels and a feat( aesthetic bard)and your arch type

Well, the Gladiator is for 5e, and a monk/bard with Aesthetic Bard is for 3.5e.

On-Topic: I'm not familiar with skill profiencies in 5e, but shouldn't "you gain profiency in the Perform skill" be "you gain profiency in a Peform skill of your choice"?

meltodowno
2015-05-13, 01:22 PM
Bonus Proficiencies
You gain proficiency in the Performance skill, and are proficient with shields used as improvised weapons, and add your ability modifier to the damage. Not sure if this is actually a necessary addendum, though it's not exactly clear in the PHB

It's a buff to TWF's who usually require a fighting style to get ability modifier to offhand attacks. You could also do with clarifying the damage dice as improvised weapons don't have a set number unless they have no resemblance to a weapon.

Gladitorial Combat
Starting at 3rd level, you develop a flair for the dramatic, mastering unorthodox weapons and turning battle into a spectacle. When you hit a creature with a shield, whip, or thrown weapon attack, the next attack made against that creature has advantage.

Seem's alright, but I'm not sure why whips are on there and not more thematically gladiator weapons like spears/tridents. Suggest changing the wording to 'weapons with the Thrown quality' to encourage their use.

Crowd’s Favor
By 3rd level you are an incorigible ham, and treat life or death situations as a spectacle of entertainment. When you roll initiative, you can also make a Charisma (Performance) check. You can use the higher of the two rolls for your initiative that combat.

Spelling: incorigible should be incorrigible

Adrenaline Rush
By 7th level you laugh in the face of danger. While you're not wearing heavy armor, if a creature scores a critical hit against you, hits you with an opportunity attack, or you would be frightened by an effect, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your level in this class and are not frightened.

The temporary HP needs clarity for if it stacks, and how long they last. Depending on the answer this ability can go from 'ok' to 'broken as all hell'.

Also recommend clarifying on if you get the HP before or after the damage is dealt.

Even then, it's potentially broken. Imagine level 20, you give your kobold buddy a dagger and tell him to stab you as you run at the enemy. Free 20+ hp each round, more if you can get more weak attacks.

Recommend making it take a reaction, have it appear before damage is dealt and disappearing at the start of your next turn.

Brutal Combat
Starting at 10th level, your weapon attacks become more brutal as you suffer wounds of your own. As long as you are not at full hit points, you roll an additional weapon damage die on attack rolls made with advantage.

Given the uptime is easy to keep (tiny dagger to the cheek), and the classes source of advantage on every other attack beyond other factors, this seems a bit strong.

Perhaps have it be at a set health level - under 1/2 or 3/4's health so that the drawback is meaningful.

Thirst for Battle
By 15th level, bloodshed sustains you even as you stand at death’s door. Whenever you reduce a creature that dealt damage to you this combat to 0 hit points, you gain a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your level in this class.

Again, needs clarifications on stacking and duration. The standard in 5th ed seems to be no stacking temp hp.

Showstopper
At 18th level, you turn critical hits into grand finales. Whenever you score a critical hit, you roll the damage dice three times instead of twice. Addtionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw (save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, your choice). On a failed save, the target is stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

I like it, but 1 min is a LONG duration for stun.

khadgar567
2015-05-13, 01:28 PM
Well, the Gladiator is for 5e, and a monk/bard with Aesthetic Bard is for 3.5e.

On-Topic: I'm not familiar with skill proficiencies in 5e, but shouldn't "you gain proficiency in the Perform skill" be "you gain proficiency in a Perform skill of your choice"?
sorry buddy after making knowledge check in players hand book and this forum I think I am wrong

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-13, 03:13 PM
It's a buff to TWF's who usually require a fighting style to get ability modifier to offhand attacks. You could also do with clarifying the damage dice as improvised weapons don't have a set number unless they have no resemblance to a weapon.
Huh, good point. Will get that clarification in.

Seem's alright, but I'm not sure why whips are on there and not more thematically gladiator weapons like spears/tridents. Suggest changing the wording to 'weapons with the Thrown quality' to encourage their use.
Whips are kind of an unusual weapon, and tbh I... want them to feel loved.

I will be re-wording it to include improvised weapons and 'weapons with the thrown quality.' Will keep the whip for now unless it just stands out too much.

The temporary HP needs clarity for if it stacks, and how long they last. Depending on the answer this ability can go from 'ok' to 'broken as all hell'.

Also recommend clarifying on if you get the HP before or after the damage is dealt.

Even then, it's potentially broken. Imagine level 20, you give your kobold buddy a dagger and tell him to stab you as you run at the enemy. Free 20+ hp each round, more if you can get more weak attacks.

Recommend making it take a reaction, have it appear before damage is dealt and disappearing at the start of your next turn.
Temporary HP doesn't stack. I was tempted, but Battlerager Vigor (the 4e feature that inspired some of this in theme anyway) was incredibly busted RAW. The ability is more of a ribbon as-is, so I can add something else or adjust it to have a bit more relevance.

The intent would be after damage is dealt I think; the adrenaline would kick in after you're actually hurt. Plus that plays better with temporary HP. Also I hope that the DM has the alacrity to not let the kobold shenanigans work :| I'll clarify that *enemies* will be hitting you (though a fumbled critical hit would still be kind of hilarious to trigger it). But it doesn't stack, and your kobold friend has to actually HIT you with its opportunity attack to give you any temporary HP.

Given the uptime is easy to keep (tiny dagger to the cheek), and the classes source of advantage on every other attack beyond other factors, this seems a bit strong.

Perhaps have it be at a set health level - under 1/2 or 3/4's health so that the drawback is meaningful.

This was to keep the damage output up since the weapons that give you free advantage are d4s and d6s. This works well if you can have someone helping you every round but then they're... not attacking either. And yeah, a stronger drawback is probably for the best.

Again, needs clarifications on stacking and duration. The standard in 5th ed seems to be no stacking temp hp. I do need to add a duration, yes. And temporary hit points don't stack.I honestly miss my dwarven Battlerage fighter, but I was able to pretty much solo an encounter in my skivvies because I always had like 10-20 temporary HP. *Edna Mode voice* NO STACKING.

I like it, but 1 min is a LONG duration for stun. True. It might be too swingy, and you wouldn't want your ancient black dragon necromancer getting stunned by this chump somehow. I'd rather add a ribbon that things with legendary resistances aren't affected; I'm okay with random shmucks getting the short end of the stick here.

Arracor
2015-05-20, 04:04 AM
Ok, my input. First off I -really- like this subclass. Most of its abilities, to me, are fine as-is. I'd only make a few very token changes.

First, I'd change 'never frightened ever forever' to 'advantage on effects that would frighten'. Same idea, without invalidating the RP opportunities.

Second, for the capstone, rather than having the legendary resistance be a free instant out, have it so they can spend a legendary action to negate it. That way they're at worst stunned for a round, but you can still have a big dramatic moment where the Gladiator stuns the immortal dragon-emperor for long enough that his buddies can get a few free hits.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-20, 01:05 PM
Ok, my input. First off I -really- like this subclass. Most of its abilities, to me, are fine as-is. I'd only make a few very token changes.

First, I'd change 'never frightened ever forever' to 'advantage on effects that would frighten'. Same idea, without invalidating the RP opportunities.

Second, for the capstone, rather than having the legendary resistance be a free instant out, have it so they can spend a legendary action to negate it. That way they're at worst stunned for a round, but you can still have a big dramatic moment where the Gladiator stuns the immortal dragon-emperor for long enough that his buddies can get a few free hits.

Thank you for the feedback!

I like the advantage on saves against being frightened too, probably works better since there's no magical fallback to the frighten immunity (a la the Paladin).

On the Legendary Actions bit, I think it would be solid to let them use a legendary action to make a save against the effect.

At 18th level, you turn critical hits into grand finales. Whenever you score a critical hit, you roll the damage dice three times instead of twice. Additionally, the target must make a Constitution saving throw (save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, your choice). On a failed save, the target is stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. A creature with legendary actions can also repeat this saving throw as a legendary action.

Arracor
2015-05-20, 05:51 PM
I can dig it. Consider the subclass a canonized choice for my games.

Edit: I modified the bonus proficiencies slightly as well, making it an actual ability.

(3rd level) Entertainer: You gain Proficiency in the Performance skill. If you already have it, you gain Expertise instead, applying double your Proficiency bonus to Performance checks. In addition, you are proficient with improvised weapons.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-20, 10:23 PM
Made the adjustments as suggested, and decided to slightly modify Crowd's Favor to just read as Performance check (to make it clearer to the DM that a player might try and Perform with another ability score).

RingoBongo
2019-02-06, 11:10 PM
This is cool! I especially like the lvl 3 features.