PDA

View Full Version : Tossing around ideas for a Psionic class

Bugworlds
2015-05-12, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play any 5e games yet, but am loving what I learn about the system. It's impossible to come from 3e which had so much content and not start dreaming up your own creations. After a few searches for homebrew psionics I found a psionic conversion kit (http://boldpueblo.com/downloads/5e/5e-houserule-psionic-classes.pdf) but not much that I liked.

I'd like to combine the monk class and sorcerer class (perhaps with a splash of warlock style casting). The goal would be along the lines of a magic-assisted monk. An unarmored, unarmed, caster (half caster?).

So far I've sketched together the first four levels.

Lvl 1: Unarmored AC bonus, unarmed damage, cantrips
Lvl 2: introduce lvl 1 spells
Lvl 3: subclass (telekenetic, telepathic, tele-illusion, defensive, autohynosis, psioncrystal user; all undeveloped ideas)
Lvl 4: ability score increase

I need to review the DMG's class guide, as well as would like to go through this homebrew class guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gR9yfTbXJ2mMz0vYkdVQIzQWKTw9IODpzteFJShl1zo/edit), before I develop this more. I'll also be looking at Gith, Thri-kreen, and Mind Flayers to look at how 5e has used psionics so far.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ChubbyRain
2015-05-12, 10:09 PM
Stop homebrewing and stuff like that without playing the game. Learn the game first, in play, then modify it.

I love me some 3e splat/4e games and I know where you are coming from, but you won't really do yourself or others any help by trying to modify something you have never used.

Once you play the game a bit then start trying to mess around with it, you will get better results that way.

Bugworlds
2015-05-12, 10:14 PM
Stop homebrewing and stuff like that without playing the game. Learn the game first, in play, then modify it.

I love me some 3e splat/4e games and I know where you are coming from, but you won't really do yourself or others any help by trying to modify something you have never used.

Once you play the game a bit then start trying to mess around with it, you will get better results that way.

Given opportunity to play I intend on it, but am not able to currently. Homebrewing before playing certainly isn't going to produce anything worthy of distribution, but why not do some personal dabbling?

Ralanr
2015-05-12, 10:22 PM
Why unarmored defense in a castor based class?

Bugworlds
2015-05-12, 10:32 PM
Why unarmored defense in a castor based class?

Looking at the classes I'm taking inspiration from: Monks get to add their wisdom bonus to their AC as well as sorcerer's may take the draconic blood line and have a base AC of 13. I'm uncertain what path would be better; add primary ability's modifier to AC or a simple boost to the base.

Ralanr
2015-05-12, 10:37 PM
Looking at the classes I'm taking inspiration from: Monks get to add their wisdom bonus to their AC as well as sorcerer's may take the draconic blood line and have a base AC of 13. I'm uncertain what path would be better; add primary ability's modifier to AC or a simple boost to the base.

It's just weird for them to have a pretty high possible AC when they aren't up close in combat

ChubbyRain
2015-05-12, 11:44 PM
Given opportunity to play I intend on it, but am not able to currently. Homebrewing before playing certainly isn't going to produce anything worthy of distribution, but why not do some personal dabbling?

Because this game plays vastly different from 3e/4e. If you are using those editions as your experience when making 5e stuff then you have already hurt yourself.

It would be like designing new rules for soccer when all you have ever played is hockey and basketball.

Bugworlds
2015-05-13, 03:24 PM
It would be like designing new rules for soccer when all you have ever played is hockey and basketball.

Being an experienced soccer player, what recommendations would you make towards building a class like this?

ThermalSlapShot
2015-05-13, 03:32 PM
Being an experienced soccer player, what recommendations would you make towards building a class like this?

As someone who has never played soccer I'm sure the game would do better if you put them in armor of some sort and allow checking. Oh, make sure to put up walls around the soccer field...

Make the net smaller too, way to much room for shots.

Bugworlds
2015-05-13, 05:23 PM
As someone who has never played soccer I'm sure the game would do better if you put them in armor of some sort and allow checking. Oh, make sure to put up walls around the soccer field...

Make the net smaller too, way to much room for shots.

After playing soccer I'm sure the balance of the net size will be easier to judge. As it stands I'm not super confident how AC balances. What's an expected AC as you progress through tiers? I have a decent feel for the lowest tier AC but am unsure how it progresses. If the AC is tied to a primary ability score, such as the monk, it would (could) progress with levels. The sorcerer can have a fixed base AC which doesn't progress but starts a bit higher (?)

But correct me where I'm wrong, I don't have access to my books right now.

Madfellow
2015-05-14, 06:22 PM
I like your idea of using the Four Elements Monk and the Warlock as the basis for a psion class, and the psionic spell list the other guys whipped up looks solid. So here's how I would do it:

Hit Dice: 1d8 per psion level

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: none
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, and Religion

Power Points
You begin each day with a number of power points equal to your psion levels. Your power points refresh when you take a long rest.

Spellcasting
You can spend power points to cast spells from the psion spell list. To cast a psion spell of 1st level or higher, you must expend a number of power points equal to or higher than the spell's level. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability.

Cantrips Known: as warlock
Spells Known: as warlock
Ability Score Improvement: as warlock

Maximum Power Points for a Spell

1: 1
2: 1
3: 1
4: 1
5: 2
6: 2
7: 2
8: 2
9: 3
10: 3
11: 3
12: 3
13: 4
14: 4
15: 4
16: 4
17: 5
18: 5
19: 5
20: 5

Psionic Traditions: Psychic Adept, Psychic Sneak, Psychic Warrior

Psychic Adept
Your power points refresh after a short or long rest.
Maximum Power Points for a Spell

1: 1
2: 1
3: 2
4: 2
5: 3
6: 3
7: 4
8: 4
9: 5
10: 5
11: 5
12: 5
13: 5
14: 5
15: 5
16: 5
17: 5
18: 5
19: 5
20: 5

Awakened Mind: basically equivalent to the warlock's Mystic Arcanum feature, giving them access to spells of 6th level and higher that they can cast only once per day each.

Psychic Sneak
Bonus Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, and short swords. You gain proficiency with two skills from the rogue skill list.
Expertise: You gain expertise in two skills with which you are proficient.
Sneak Attack: as rogue

Psychic Warrior
Bonus Proficiencies: You gain proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons.
Mental Fortitude: Your hit point maximum increases by 1 whenever you gain a psion level.
Fighting Style: as fighter
Extra Attack at level 6

I think this looks like a good skeleton at least. Take it over to the folks on the homebrew subforum and see what they think.