PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with Breakable Magic Items

jaydubs
2015-05-13, 01:22 AM
Simple goal. I want to introduce more magic items into my campaign as loot, but I don't want it to inevitably lead to everyone having multiple all the time. So I'm planning just to make them all limited in use, in some way or another. For the activation items, it's simple. I just give them limited charges. Here's what I'm thinking of trying with the +X type.

Whenever a character gets a bonus from a magical item, that item has a chance of degrading. If the roll is made by the player, the item risks degrading on a natural 1. If the roll is made against the player, the item risks degrading on a natural 20 by whoever is rolling. This depends on the first d20 result, regardless of advantage, disadvantage, the lucky feat, halfling luck, or any other roll modification. On those 1s or 20s, the item rolls a degradation save (essentially a death saving throw). On a 10 or higher, nothing happens. On a 1-9, the item degrades. Degradation works as follows. If an item has a bonus greater than +1, that bonus drops by 1. Aka, a +3 sword that degrades becomes a +2 sword. A +1 sword becomes non-magical when it becomes +0. I figure not all magic items will perfectly fit this, but it's just a framework.

My general goals:
-Avoid magic items and + bonuses becoming standard, as happened in previous editions.
-Give out more magic items while sticking to above.
-Add more uses for money. I figure I can reintroduce crafting and buying magic items if they are basically consumables.
-Don't have to worry about giving out an item that is too powerful, and then having to remove it. It will take care of itself sooner or later.
-Less powerful magic items still have a use once you get a more powerful version. That +1 axe doesn't become shop fodder just because you have a +2. Players might want to preserve their +2s for later, or just have something for when it inevitably breaks.

What are some ways this might interfere with those stated goals?
How would you feel about this if you were a player?
What are some possible complications to using such a system? I've already got:
-Cursed items easier to remove.
-Will use up some game time.
-Some characters may be more effected, if they roll more often. (Might just drop more of these types of items?)

Mrmox42
2015-05-13, 01:56 AM
I have made something similar, and it really works very well.

I have also made items that only works for a few rounds when activated (such as a +2 Longsword that only is +2 in 2D4 rounds). This also works well, as players need to plan when to activate their weapons.

coredump
2015-05-13, 01:44 PM
Give them charges, and when the charges run out they are gone. Or.... you can give some task/quest/challenge to recharge them. Or it can only be done on a full moon in a still pond, or at the top of a mountain during a snowstorm, or whatever.

Charges can be for anything. A sword can have 10 charges of Magic Weapon and will become a +1/+2/whatever sword for an hour, or a day, or whatever. Or make it 25 charges and it only lasts for 1 minute.

jaydubs
2015-05-13, 02:59 PM
Those are both good ideas. I'll have have to think about whether it's more fun to have luck-based results, or have it something players are better able to plan around. Though that probably depends on the actual group of players I'd be DMing for. Some people like risk more than others.