PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Prestigeclass for my LE Cleric of Blood of Vol?

lonewolf1210
2015-05-13, 04:45 AM
Hey everyone!

I am playing in a solo campaign as a changeling cloistered Cleric of Blood of Vol and to my utter suprise I cant seem to find any prestigeclass that fits my concept. As usual, losing casterlevels is something that IŽd rather avoid, but as a necromancer cleric, rebuking/commanding Undead is also something that is rather important. The only prestigeclass that I found which fits thematically is Master of Shrouds, but losing 2 Feats, one casterlevel and bunch of skillpoints doesnt really seem to be worth it.
A one level dip into contemplative might be nice for the extra Domain, but the choices for that 4th domain arent that good(Evil, Law, Death) when I already have Necromancer, Deathbound and Knowledge, and I would lose one level of rebuke and a couple of skillpoints.

A different option would be to become a vampire(LA isnt really that important in a solo game) and go for the Master Vampire PrC. I would also lose a casterlevel and wouldnt progress rebuke undead, but more and better spawns would at least make up for the loss in command undead.

Is it really best to stick with vanilla cloistered cleric?

Ettina
2015-05-13, 08:09 AM
I'd stick with cleric. Some of the 9th level spells available to clerics are pretty awesome. Such as implosion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/implosion.htm) or energy drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/energyDrain.htm).

What domains do you have? My favourite cleric domain is domination, but it's a rarely granted one. Monstrous thrall (http://dndhandbook.com/spell-index-dungeons-and-dragons-3-5/Monstrous%20Thrall/) is incredible - permanent dominate person with a debuff to Will saves against it.

lonewolf1210
2015-05-13, 11:49 AM
as noted above, I have the Necromancer, Deathbound and Knowledge Domains, and Blood od Vol only has Law, Evil and Death Domains additionally available.

And honestly, Im not gonna rely much on individual lvl 9 spells for my choices, as I expect that almost all of actual game time will not include those high levels.

Petrocorus
2015-05-13, 03:36 PM
Have you thought about Bone Knight from 5N? It's quite pretty link with Karnnathi necromancy which comes from the Blood of V's influence over the nation. It lose one caster level, but the abilities are rather nice.

lonewolf1210
2015-05-13, 04:30 PM
I knew I forgot something when I started this thread.
Yes I looked at the bone knight, and while it really is a very nice class I dismissed it because it doesnt fit my character concept. He is member of the emerald claw and is much more a spy than a combatant. I even took the able learner feat to continue to have reasonable social and stealth skills. Beeing able to switch identities quickly as changeling is VERY important to the intrigues he is doing, so wearing a big obvious armor made of bones is not going to cut it.

I guess with these very specific needs, there wont be any PrC for me.

:(

Petrocorus
2015-05-13, 04:58 PM
I knew I forgot something when I started this thread.
Yes I looked at the bone knight, and while it really is a very nice class I dismissed it because it doesnt fit my character concept. He is member of the emerald claw and is much more a spy than a combatant. I even took the able learner feat to continue to have reasonable social and stealth skills. Beeing able to switch identities quickly as changeling is VERY important to the intrigues he is doing, so wearing a big obvious armor made of bones is not going to cut it.

I guess with these very specific needs, there wont be any PrC for me.

:(
You don't have access to the Trickery Domain?

Uncanny Trickster (CS) Plenty of tricks and you lose only one level of class features.

Urban Savant (City) Full Caster until lvl 9. Not sure if the fluff fit.

Those are skillful classes, but they have nothing to do with necromancy.
I have no other idea out of the box, sorry.

Have you looked into the BoVD?

lonewolf1210
2015-05-14, 02:42 AM
You don't have access to the Trickery Domain?

Uncanny Trickster (CS) Plenty of tricks and you lose only one level of class features.

Urban Savant (City) Full Caster until lvl 9. Not sure if the fluff fit.

Those are skillful classes, but they have nothing to do with necromancy.
I have no other idea out of the box, sorry.

Have you looked into the BoVD?

Uncanny Trickster looks interesting. I may take a look into that one.

Urban Savant is really nice, but unfortunately it only advances arcane spellcasting. Maybe I get my DM to houserule that.

The PrC in BoVD are all quite specific and dont really fit that well. At the moment I only use a couple of spells from that book.

Petrocorus
2015-05-14, 11:45 AM
Urban Savant is really nice, but unfortunately it only advances arcane spellcasting. Maybe I get my DM to houserule that.

Sorry, i check the requirements and forgot to double check the table.

Maybe ask the DM to houserule Contemplative to let you take the Trickery Domain and just continue with Cloistered Cleric from there.
Or maybe take Skill knowledge feat from UA (p81).

For necromancing, you may as well stay straight Cleric. What do you actually lack? Skills? Better necromancy features?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-05-14, 12:27 PM
There aren't all that many PrCs for clerics that fit a necromancy build. Most of the ones that advance turning are pretty firmly on the good side, with the few evil ones generally losing a lot compared to the basic cleric chassis.
You're pretty much stuck if you don't want to lose CL or rebuking power.