PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kingmaker-esque Campaign, can't decide on what caster.

dascarletm
2015-05-13, 09:28 AM
Hello again people. I'll get to the point quickly.

Kingmaker (not the actual path, but similar themes and additional rules) campaign, I'm the high arcanist for the group, and I've always wanted to play a Blue. We are using the fluff from 3.5, but the stats from pathfinder. I was considering wizard, because that sort of setting lends well to wizards. I also thought psions are pretty cool, but maybe not quite versatile enough (prove me wrong). Then I considered why not both? Cerebremancer. Who has played one in pathfinder, and what did they do to offset the loss of casting progression? Also, what does everyone think is a good pick/what would they do if they were saddled as the master of the arcane arts for a new budding kingdom? Perhaps it will inspire me. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks

Seerow
2015-05-13, 09:39 AM
Honestly, straight Wizard has everything you will really want. Bonus points if you take craft magic traps and/or craft wondrous architecture.

AGrinningCat
2015-05-13, 09:42 AM
What books do you have access to? I'm honestly enjoying my Incanter from Spheres of Power. Sort of like a wizard, but with the Spheres magic system instead.

dascarletm
2015-05-13, 11:20 AM
We have access to SRD material primarily. (most 3rd party is fine with DM approval). Other sources would need to be obtained.

I was thinking wizard would be pretty perfect, with a focus on item crafting. About that: is the item creation focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/universalist/arcane-crafter) worth going into in your opinion?

dascarletm
2015-05-13, 05:37 PM
Sorry to double-post, but I have another question for those knowledgeable on psionics.

I'm quite fond of blues, and the race will definitely be that. If I go wizard is there anything else to utilize my PP besides the racial ability blues have? Would using it to gain and burn focus be worth it? Would you recommend taking feats for that purpose?

AGrinningCat
2015-05-13, 06:19 PM
Would you consider the Arcanist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist) instead? You get Arcane exploits every odd level and basically combines the best of Sorcerers and Wizards. Arcane exploits can be traded in for item crafting feats and meta-magic feats, so you can spend your feats on other stuff.

If you want to go the item creation route, you can also use the Arcanist to pick up a Familiar, which you can give the Valet Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/familiar/familiar-archetypes/valet-familiar-archetype).

Really with how item crafting creation rules are, you won't be really hurting for more bonuses towards creating them. It's only 5+Caster Level, so by level 3 you'll generally have +5 mod, +3 ranks, +3 for class skill, so even if you roll a 1, you can still make up to 7th CL items.

As far as your second question goes, with the above set up you'll have enough feats to dip into Wild Talent(Blues get for free) -> Unlocked Talent, although that's really as far as you can go without actually dipping into a true manifesting class.