PDA

View Full Version : Spells for Wizards above Lv. 1

BardicDuelist
2007-04-19, 08:03 PM
When creating a wizard above level one, how many spells should you give him? (IMO the base number is far to low for a class whose primary virtue is virtually unlimited knowledge.)

Dhavaer
2007-04-19, 08:05 PM
The normal level 1 number, plus two for every level thereafter.

Starsinger
2007-04-19, 08:05 PM
A wizard who advances from level 1 to level.. say 8 would have to pay, so give the level 8 wizard you're creating (or whatever level) the base, plus the two free for each level above 1st, then if you want more, you have to pay out of your starting gold.

jaxal1
2007-04-19, 08:06 PM
I let mine purchase spells with their character creation money at the cost of a scroll + scribing cost, since a Wizard's spell selection essentially constitutes loot, either as copied scrolls or captured spellbooks.

Dausuul
2007-04-19, 08:12 PM
Spells are fairly cheap. It's only 150 gp per spell level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm) (100 per level for the spellbook materials plus 50 per level to pay another wizard to let you copy the spell). For first-level spells, you can even take it down to 125 by buying a scroll instead of copying from another wizard's book.

Vyker
2007-04-19, 08:25 PM
This always kinda struck me as odd about Wizards. Unless you've got a stingy DM, it seems to me that a Wizard who played from level one to level ??? is going to find more spells than one created at level ???. But like BD said, it does seem a bit limiting for a class designed for Total Ultimate Awesome Knowledge of Everything Everywhere.

A house-rule I've contemplated (though never had the chance to impliment) is that Wizards get 1d4 additional "free" spells per level to represent spells found. They'd still have to pay scribing costs, but not the cost of borrowing another spellbook or buying a scroll. A Wizard could then buy more spells in the traditional fashion if they so desired.

Thoughts on that?

Tellah
2007-04-19, 08:36 PM
I don't give Wizards any free spells at all; they're already the most powerful class in the game. Let them pay scroll+scribing cost if they want to start with more spells.

I feel it's worth mentioning that a Wizard should not blow too much of his starting gold on spells. The times I've seen Wizards played badly, it was because the player wanted to be a pokemon master and catch 'em all. Only fill up your spellbook with spells you're likely to prepare with frequency--get scrolls of the situational stuff. You can only cast one spell per round (barring quickening, Time Stop, and all the other rebuttals that are sure to follow this post), and you can only prepare a certain number per day. Wizards need to get a balanced selection of magical items, just like everyone else, if they want to play effectively.

Dhavaer
Thoughts on that?

Why bother? Spells they find are treasure, it's represented by them getting more money at higher levels.

kamikasei
A house-rule I've contemplated (though never had the chance to impliment) is that Wizards get 1d4 additional "free" spells per level to represent spells found. They'd still have to pay scribing costs, but not the cost of borrowing another spellbook or buying a scroll.

By "spells found" I assume you mean scrolls or the occasional spellbook taken as loot. These are treasure and the wizard's use of them should count against his share of the loot (if playing through those levels), and so ought to be deducted from WBL for the level you start at. They're not "free", adding them to your spellbook incurs an opportunity cost because you're giving up the option to sell them.

Vyker
2007-04-19, 08:40 PM
Hmm. Fair enough, I s'pose.

It just feels so strange to see a "I gain power through learning!" class have such an empty spellbook.

Dhavaer
2007-04-19, 08:43 PM
Hmm. Fair enough, I s'pose.

It just feels so strange to see a "I gain power through learning!" class have such an empty spellbook.

4 spells of each level isn't exactly empty. You'll probably fill a book pretty quickly.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-19, 08:46 PM
Yeah, but who uses a regular spellbook as anything except a backup?

A Blessed Book is 12,500 GP and gives you 1000 pages of spells for free. Take 2 levels of Geometer (you don't lose anything) and you can cram 1,000 Spells in that book. Just scribe in every random scroll or spell you find and you will have it if you ever need it.

Stevenson
2007-04-19, 08:48 PM
Oh, and there's one answer to the whole, "more spells a level" thing.

Collegiate wizard.

As a level one wizard with that feat, I actually had to look online to come up with useful spell ideas. There simply weren't enough choices.

That being said: For starting a wizard like this, take some gold out of his account, and put some more spells in. But not too much. He'll still need his wand of whatever, or +3 dagger of wounding, or whatnot.

NullAshton
2007-04-19, 08:53 PM
The problem with scribing every random scroll you see is that scribing something into your spellbook from the scroll ruins the scroll. The scroll is used as if you cast the spell on it. Thus it counts against your WBL still.

kamikasei
2007-04-19, 08:58 PM
The problem with scribing every random scroll you see is that scribing something into your spellbook from the scroll ruins the scroll. The scroll is used as if you cast the spell on it. Thus it counts against your WBL still.

Yes, but at the cost of the scroll alone, not the cost of the scroll plus 100gp per level of the spell.

Scribbler
2007-04-19, 09:40 PM
Why bother? Spells they find are treasure, it's represented by them getting more money at higher levels.

Right. Because fighters would likely find all kinds of weapons and other magic items too, but that still comes out of starting wealth. It's not supposed to be a bunch of money the character spent, it's just a numerical value of his/her/its gear so that there's an appropriate amount, and a spellbook is gear. You can describe it all as coming from wherever you want (and collecting it while adventuring is probably the standard choice).

Hallavast
2007-04-19, 11:39 PM
Yes, but at the cost of the scroll alone, not the cost of the scroll plus 100gp per level of the spell.
But you still have to buy the materials every time you scribe a scroll. You do this with whatever money you get from adventuring, so why wouldn't you count it?

SMDVogrin
2007-04-20, 06:47 AM
But you still have to buy the materials every time you scribe a scroll. You do this with whatever money you get from adventuring, so why wouldn't you count it?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook

As they said, no 100gp.