PDA

View Full Version : The Weapon-User (Base class)

Orzel
2007-04-19, 08:04 PM
So I got to thinking.

Let's only have 5 guys in 5 classes. Each based on a certian part of adventuring and excelling at it.

A class that can beat people up
A class that has lots o' skills
A class that can warp reality
A class that can warp reality a little but with his mind
A class that can make stuff, use stuff, and break stuff

So
I thought up:
The Weapon-User
The Skill-User
The Magic-User
The Power-User
The Item-User

Here's the first one, the combat class. I tried to remove most of the flaws of combat that shouldn't be there (melee and ranged on two stat, movement, size modifiers, feat hungry).

Weapon-User

Hit Die
d10.

Base Save Bonuses
Good Fortitude save and poor Reflex and Will saves.

Class Skills
The weapon-user’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points
2 + Int modifier (or four times this number at 1st level).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
All simple and martial weapons; light and medium armor; shields (but not tower shields).

Bonus Feats
At 1st level, a weapon-user gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The weapon user gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every three weapon-user levels thereafter These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. A weapon-user must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Body Control
At the 2nd level, a weapon-user can add her weapon-user level to one of his abilities to qualify for gaining feats. She can add her weapon-user level to either her Strength, Dexterity or Constitution when attempting to qualify for feats. At the 12th level, she can add her weapon-user level to another ability score.

Power Move
At the 5th level, a weapon-user can gain a morale bonus to her land, climb, or flight speed for 1 round by dealing damage to herself. She gains a morale bonus to her speed (rounded down to the nearest 5') and is dealt an amount of damage to herself of equal value. This bonus cannot exceed her weapon user level.

Practised Weapon-User
At the 6th level, a weapon-user's level for the purpose of her Body control and Power move class features increases by +4. This can't increase your weapon-user level beyond your HD. However, even if you can't benefit from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain nonweapon-user-level HD you maybe able to apply the rest of the bonus.

Heavy Carry
At the 7th level, a weapon-user's carrying capicity is treated as if she is onse size larger.

Combat Space
At the 10th level, a weapon-user can make herself be treated as one size larger or smaller when she is the subject to a size modifier, special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), or when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect her.

Changing your size for an attack action costs 1 points of hit point damage, for a move action costs 2 points of hit point damage, for a standard action costs 3 points of hit point damage, and for full round costs 5 points of hit point damage

At the 15th level, a weapon-user can make herself be treated as two sizes larger or smaller for twic as much hit pont damage. At the 15th level, a weapon-user can make herself be treated as three sizes larger or smaller for three times as much hit pont damage.

(20 level Tables be too much work for me now)
1 Bonus Feat
2 Bonus Feat, Body Control (Str, Dex, or Con)
5 Bonus Feat, Power Move
6 Practised Weapon-User
7 Heavy Carry
8 Bonus Feat
10 Combat Space (up to one size)
11 Bonus Feat
12 Body Control (Any)
14 Bonus Feat
15 Combat Space (up to two sizes)
17 Bonus Feat
20 Bonus Feat, Combat Space (up to three sizes)

PEACH

I feel like I'm missing something.

Baron Corm
2007-04-19, 08:18 PM
why make it so templateish, and then give class features? seems to me like you want a skeleton class for each archtype and then chooseable skills at each level. i'm not really sure how to critique what you have there, especially since the others aren't done yet, and there's nothing to compare it against.

also, why separate classes for magic-user and magic-user-with-mind? you could just have certain spells not require verbal or somatic components... i always thought psionics were unnecessary like that.

Orzel
2007-04-19, 08:41 PM
why make it so templateish, and then give class features? seems to me like you want a skeleton class for each archtype and then chooseable skills at each level. i'm not really sure how to critique what you have there, especially since the others aren't done yet, and there's nothing to compare it against.

It's more of a variant setting than a template. I just copypastaed a lot from the generic warrior variant, the normal fighter, and the normal rogue classes. It's a base class for combat the way weapons combat was intended. Beating folk up and not falling over. The 5 classes aren't/won't be balanced to each other. They just do their job better than any other class.

also, why separate classes for magic-user and magic-user-with-mind? you could just have certain spells not require verbal or somatic components... i always thought psionics were unnecessary like that.

The Mind User's not all psionics. It'll by more like a barbarian, psy warrior, rogue mix. It deals with all things mental. Free insight bonuses, high perception, learning in combat, AND psionics. The Metagame-User is just a stupid name.