PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Advice on tactics and spells

caddmus
2015-05-13, 11:48 AM
Hello,

I am looking for advise to give to another player in my gaming group,

Basically, this player lays a druid who spends alot of time as a elemental, (air mostly) And the char is built fairly well i guess, But, the player is not very experienced beyond mmo's and not bit on problem solving. which has lead to a type of behavior, This is mostly, once my char (the knowledge monkey guy) or one of the others identifies the monster and what it takes to hurt it, if the gm says it has immunity to magic or high SR, the druid kinda goes and hides and doesn't do anything for the fight,

Druid is a level 14 druid, level 1 monk, (no sure which one)

So, for creatures with immnuity to magic, what are good spells or tactics for the druid? I my self havn't played a caster in a super long time, I mostly do archers and gunslingers, so I thought I would ask for some help. :D

I was thinking summon monster type spells and basic buffs? but any advise I am happy to accept,

Geddy2112
2015-05-13, 12:44 PM
This is where druids differ from Wizards. While a wizard will have trouble beating high SR, or not have the right spells prepared for the enemy, a druid always has the option of turning into an elemental, summoning monsters, and opening up a natural themed can of whupass against whatever they are fighting. In addition to some juicy stat boosts and flight, a huge air elemental can assume whirlwind form and just start slamming into people and picking them up. Once they are airborne, they are stuck in it unless they can fly. A huge creature can hold up to its volume in the whirlwind so you can run around and grab everybody. Also, it can be used to conceal allies from a ranged attacker while the whirlwind murders everything inside. Fire elementals are also handy if the enemy is vulnerable to fire and the druid did not prepare any fire spells.

Don't forget to summon natures ally- a great way to use "useless" spells during an encounter. Another body on the side of the party is at worst a roadblock, and at best a murdermachine. It can flank, threaten, and buffer combats as needed.

For feats, make sure your druid has natural spell, spell focus conjuration, and augmented summoning. If SR becomes a problem, spell penetration and greater are in order. Max out wisdom to increase the DC's of the spells as well as your checks to beat SR.

caddmus
2015-05-13, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the advise geddy, I'll advise them of these,

sadly redoing or suggesting feats at this point won't work, the char's are level 15 and int he middle of a dungeon, so can't change anything hehe, we just have a few big fights coming up that have been more or less scouted out, and our druid's player isn't the type to do research on their own, so I need up playing team lead, (I'm not the lead, lol))

Geddy2112
2015-05-13, 02:11 PM
The druid still has access to level 7 spells, even if he does not have a wis score of 24 or more for bonus spells at this level, that is some pretty powerful magic. So long as they prepare a use of fairy ring retreat, you can effectively and safely rest after every single fight in the dungeon. Its 28 hours of free food and rest, in which case they could prepare heal to heal party members to full HP and remove status effects, although sleeping/combined heal checks to treat deadly wounds will cover this as well as liberal CLW. In a dungeon, most things will be light sensitive or undead, making sunbeam an amazing spell to prepare. Also, shift into an earth elemental to move silently and completely undetected through solid rock. If magic defenses are getting you down, the druid can prepare dispel magic and greater dispel magic. A caster that knows all spells of any spell level it can cast without risk of losing a spellbook is very powerful. You can prepare to adapt to any situation.

Kurald Galain
2015-05-13, 03:21 PM
Don't forget that the druid has a fair share of no-SR spells, starting with the lowly Snowball. You should not have problems dealing with magic resistant enemies.

Secret Wizard
2015-05-13, 03:53 PM
Ash Storm and such.