PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pathfinder - Help with Gestalt Damage Dealer

TwentyFold
2015-05-13, 12:03 PM
I am currently stressing over creating a build that will surpass the damage my Ninja/Warlord can do for a Steampunk/Magic Punk game that will be run by a veteran player here mid summer.

I have gone through many builds, such as:
Barbarian/Vivisectionist Beast Shape Alchemist,
Magus/Vivisectionist Alchemist,
Stalker/Marksman (Archery),
Vivisectionist Alchemist/Gunslinger (or Marksman).

As well as a few other interesting builds such as:
Harbinger/Vivisectionist,
Harbinger/Inquisitor,
Inquisitor/Ranger,
Inquisitor/Stalker.

I really just want to be a god at damage this game so I feel satisfied for once (I usually am stuck with low damage, medium utility builds that aren't satisfying my itch). Can anyone help me come up with a Gestalt combo that can make me feel actually happy about combat for once?

Class List that limits our choices: (Contribution of Kymme (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A55zZWMaESOKdNz1EQ1Cf-LoS9SshyXmbPNXEapQ5t8/edit#gid=0))

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-13, 12:11 PM
Bard//Paladin? Pick a mix of buff and utility spells. You'll still have plenty to do outside of combat between skills and bard casting, and in-combat you can deal some significant damage of your own while buffing the rest of your party via bardic performance. Nab the Arcane Duelist archetype for more funsies.

meemaas
2015-05-13, 01:12 PM
I like Meditant Psychic Warrior//Stalker for a damage dealer. If playtest material is allowed, try it out with the Brutal Slayer archetype so that size increases are even better buffs.

TwentyFold
2015-05-13, 02:18 PM
Bard//Paladin? Pick a mix of buff and utility spells. You'll still have plenty to do outside of combat between skills and bard casting, and in-combat you can deal some significant damage of your own while buffing the rest of your party via bardic performance. Nab the Arcane Duelist archetype for more funsies.

I do love the utility both would provide, and that gestalt combo has been recommended on several other threads for similar questions.

I like Meditant Psychic Warrior//Stalker for a damage dealer. If playtest material is allowed, try it out with the Brutal Slayer archetype so that size increases are even better buffs.

I will need to check this out, Stalker is definitely a heavy source of damage, and the buffs from psychic warrior could definitely help (all this combo'd with the fact that these classes together would turn out a stat basis of 2 (Str/Wis, Dex,Wis)). Is brutal slayer an archetype for Psychic Warrior? If so I will take a quick peek to see if I can find it on the SRD.

Overall a good hint would be: The martial classes seem to be the heaviest source of damage I can find, that combined with something else might help, also if a dex based combo could come out of this it would be perfect! :smallbiggrin:

meemaas
2015-05-13, 02:23 PM
I will need to check this out, Stalker is definitely a heavy source of damage, and the buffs from psychic warrior could definitely help (all this combo'd with the fact that these classes together would turn out a stat basis of 2 (Str/Wis, Dex,Wis)). Is brutal slayer an archetype for Psychic Warrior? If so I will take a quick peek to see if I can find it on the SRD.

Overall a good hint would be: The martial classes seem to be the heaviest source of damage I can find, that combined with something else might help, also if a dex based combo could come out of this it would be perfect! :smallbiggrin:

It's a stalker Archetype that's in playtesting for Path of War Expanded. Basically, it makes Dex a non-factor, and replaces Deadly Strike with a strength bonus that procs on crits or activated with a stalker art on a specific target.

It's not on the SRD yet, because it hasn't even been released, it can only be found in the PoW:E playtest thread here on this same forum. I like the basic idea of mixing the two because it doesn't hurt your AC for using Expansion

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-13, 02:25 PM
Inquisitor//Slayer built for TWF would be pretty darn solid. Full BAB, three good saves, d10 HD, 6+Int skills, 6th-level casting, and so forth. I recommend TWF because of all the bonus damages you can stack on between judgements, sneak attack, and Studied Target. Also, if 3.5 content is allowed, combine Knowledge Devotion (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Knowledge_Devotion) with the Half-Orc or Tiefling Inquisitor FCB (+ 1/2 level to knowledge checks vs. monsters) and the Improved Monster Lore (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/improved-monster-lore) feat. You'd only really need to invest a few ranks into each monster-relevant knowledge skill to get some sizable bonuses to to-hit and damage.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-13, 03:07 PM
I see you're using Path of War, with some Path of War: Expanded stuff.

How does a +8 profane bonus to Strength combined with a +14 morale bonus to strength strike you? Because that's what a Brutal Slayer Stalker//Abyssal Bloodline Bloodrager gets by 20th level.

Khosan
2015-05-13, 03:38 PM
I'm a fan of Investigator in Pathfinder Gestalts. Investigator//Dervish Dancer Warder is pretty solid if you're looking for a Dex build. Full BAB, d12 HD, all good saves, 6+Int skill points, pretty much every skill as a class skill and a bunch of other goodies. Int to AC, Studied Combat, Extracts, Inspiration and stuff like Sickening Offensive from Investigator Talents.

It's not the best for damage, but it's good damage that comes packaged with a ton of utility.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-13, 03:39 PM
I'm a fan of Investigator in Pathfinder Gestalts. Investigator//Dervish Dancer Warder is pretty solid if you're looking for a Dex build. Full BAB, d12 HD, all good saves, 6+Int skill points, pretty much every skill as a class skill and a bunch of other goodies.

It's not the best for damage, but it's good damage that comes packaged with a ton of utility.

Every skill except Fly. And autohypnosis, but you can get that if you take Sleeping Goddess or Riven Hourglass.

TwentyFold
2015-05-13, 03:52 PM
It's a stalker Archetype that's in playtesting for Path of War Expanded. Basically, it makes Dex a non-factor, and replaces Deadly Strike with a strength bonus that procs on crits or activated with a stalker art on a specific target.

It's not on the SRD yet, because it hasn't even been released, it can only be found in the PoW:E playtest thread here on this same forum. I like the basic idea of mixing the two because it doesn't hurt your AC for using Expansion

I see you're using Path of War, with some Path of War: Expanded stuff.

How does a +8 profane bonus to Strength combined with a +14 morale bonus to strength strike you? Because that's what a Brutal Slayer Stalker//Abyssal Bloodline Bloodrager gets by 20th level.

Looking at the Archetype now, barbarian version of the stalker. Right now it looks crazy, just crit-fish with a falchion and rush for the stalker art that allows this on normal attacks. Meanwhile Bloodrager with need a looking at as I have only ever witnessed one in-character before, definitely will work on this tonight and see the build I could come up for it.

I'm a fan of Investigator in Pathfinder Gestalts. Investigator//Dervish Dancer Warder is pretty solid if you're looking for a Dex build. Full BAB, d12 HD, all good saves, 6+Int skill points, pretty much every skill as a class skill and a bunch of other goodies. Int to AC, Studied Combat, Extracts, Inspiration and stuff like Sickening Offensive from Investigator Talents.

Tanky, Utility, Good Damage, 2nd one for tonight, if I could keep getting ideas that would nice of everyone! Never can run out of fun ideas.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-13, 05:03 PM
Harbinger//kensai magus makes you very nearly INT SAD with huge damage potential from spell strike+ boost+ stance.

Aurora Fist mystic// unchained monk gives full BAB, all good saves, and makes you WIS SAD.

CashanDraven
2015-05-13, 08:51 PM
A few options come to mind, all coming down to preference.

Shifter//Deadly Fist Soulknife; Wis to hit and damage and with a dip into Monk or Meditant psychic warrior to AC as well. Shifter gives you amazing options in combat that even just Shifter//Meditant Psychic Warrior won't really miss the full BAB.

Symbiat//Mageknight; A pure SoP build, with ALL good saves, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Improved Evasion, as well as Int to AC and CMD, d10 HD, full BAB, roll will saves twice, and a huge bag of combat tricks. Oh, and you can use Int as your casting stat for both classes. Pick up the Unchained Kirin Style feats and now you are reliant only on Con and Int.

Wrath Daevic//Shifter; This almost makes me cringe to be honest. Wrath Deavics can get 2 full attacks with the right set up, with all the natural weapons they possess. Between these two classes, you can get more than can be appropriate really. This combo might actually take DPR champ if set up right, but someone better at math than I (Psybomb), would be better suited.

All of these classes would be melee brutes, and still have a reliable set of abilities to use outside of combat as well.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-13, 09:48 PM
How about Warpriest (Sacred Fist)//Inquisitor? Full BAB while flurrying, lots of variable buffs from Judgement, access to pseudo-pounce from Pummeling Charge, 6+Int skills, and double Wis-based casting. Build for a Dex focus (weapon finesse, deadly agility), load up on utility using your Inquisitor slots, and use Warpriest slots for combat buffs and spells you only need rarely. Can also use the Knowledge Devotion stuff I described above.

Molosse
2015-05-14, 04:46 AM
If you're just looking for damage?

Half-Orc, Order of the Sword Beast Rider Cavalier/Mounted Fury Barbarian.

Grab Amplified Rage as a Tactician Feat. Either throw on the Horsemasters Saddle or increase the Mounts Int to 4 and throw it on it that way. Make the Beast Rider Mount a Charger. At level 8 add your mounts insane Str bonus to your damage when charging.

Amplified Rage-Challenge-Lance-Banner-Pounce.

TwentyFold
2015-05-15, 11:50 AM
Harbinger//kensai magus makes you very nearly INT SAD with huge damage potential from spell strike+ boost+ stance.

Aurora Fist mystic// unchained monk gives full BAB, all good saves, and makes you WIS SAD.

I only wish I could perform maneuvers with magus spellstrike and spell combat, but I guess boosts could work with that, if I focus boosts, counters, and strikes that would help me do debuffs to prep for a nice spell strike or spell combat combo. I will need to find Aurora Fist mystic, is it one of the dual classes archetypes (by dual classes I mean classes like Bloodrager and Investigator)

A few options come to mind, all coming down to preference.

Shifter//Deadly Fist Soulknife; Wis to hit and damage and with a dip into Monk or Meditant psychic warrior to AC as well. Shifter gives you amazing options in combat that even just Shifter//Meditant Psychic Warrior won't really miss the full BAB.

Symbiat//Mageknight; A pure SoP build, with ALL good saves, Improved Uncanny Dodge and Improved Evasion, as well as Int to AC and CMD, d10 HD, full BAB, roll will saves twice, and a huge bag of combat tricks. Oh, and you can use Int as your casting stat for both classes. Pick up the Unchained Kirin Style feats and now you are reliant only on Con and Int.

Wrath Daevic//Shifter; This almost makes me cringe to be honest. Wrath Deavics can get 2 full attacks with the right set up, with all the natural weapons they possess. Between these two classes, you can get more than can be appropriate really. This combo might actually take DPR champ if set up right, but someone better at math than I (Psybomb), would be better suited.

All of these classes would be melee brutes, and still have a reliable set of abilities to use outside of combat as well.

Another person in my party is going in to compassion daevic, which I have taken a peek at those classes, each is interesting, I will take a look at that, also since you have mentioned Shifter I will also look into that when it comes to stuff such as Daevic and soulknife/Psychic warrior

How about Warpriest (Sacred Fist)//Inquisitor? Full BAB while flurrying, lots of variable buffs from Judgement, access to pseudo-pounce from Pummeling Charge, 6+Int skills, and double Wis-based casting. Build for a Dex focus (weapon finesse, deadly agility), load up on utility using your Inquisitor slots, and use Warpriest slots for combat buffs and spells you only need rarely. Can also use the Knowledge Devotion stuff I described above.

I will look into this build, seems very interesting, also I wonder how Warpriest works out overall, time to read up on more.

If you're just looking for damage?

Half-Orc, Order of the Sword Beast Rider Cavalier/Mounted Fury Barbarian.

Grab Amplified Rage as a Tactician Feat. Either throw on the Horsemasters Saddle or increase the Mounts Int to 4 and throw it on it that way. Make the Beast Rider Mount a Charger. At level 8 add your mounts insane Str bonus to your damage when charging.

Amplified Rage-Challenge-Lance-Banner-Pounce.

Reminds me of the Lancer build that I have heard from multiple people, the only problem I have with mounted combat is the fact that mounts sometimes cannot exactly get into many dungeons, small places, rough terrain, deep forest, etc. And with normal casting from the Wizard/Sorc as well as Cleric and druid spell lists it will be hard to find any kind of solace in getting around. Even still my DM is a tricky guy, never know what kind of tricks he will pull on my horse. But thank you still for the consideration and the nice build that I may one day put to use. :smallwink:

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-15, 12:14 PM
I will look into this build, seems very interesting, also I wonder how Warpriest works out overall, time to read up on more.

Warpriest is alright; Sacred Fist (a specific archetype) is awesome though. Basically a monk with 6th-level cleric spells and some slightly better ki powers.

Molosse
2015-05-15, 02:51 PM
Reminds me of the Lancer build that I have heard from multiple people, the only problem I have with mounted combat is the fact that mounts sometimes cannot exactly get into many dungeons, small places, rough terrain, deep forest, etc. And with normal casting from the Wizard/Sorc as well as Cleric and druid spell lists it will be hard to find any kind of solace in getting around. Even still my DM is a tricky guy, never know what kind of tricks he will pull on my horse. But thank you still for the consideration and the nice build that I may one day put to use. :smallwink:

As an aside there is always the option to take a Small character and grab a Medium Mount, say a Velociraptor.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-15, 05:20 PM
I only wish I could perform maneuvers with magus spellstrike and spell combat, but I guess boosts could work with that, if I focus boosts, counters, and strikes that would help me do debuffs to prep for a nice spell strike or spell combat combo. I will need to find Aurora Fist mystic, is it one of the dual classes archetypes (by dual classes I mean classes like Bloodrager and Investigator)

Mystic (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AtQz8XFrmiBFJxjcatyiodJjo3FebF-WzFOh3XfEDtQ/edit?usp=sharing) is a Path of War: Expanded playtest class. Aurora Fist is its unarmed strike based archetype.

Artillery
2015-05-15, 11:58 PM
Want big damage numbers, Warder//Psion(Egoist). Good saves to Fort and Will, add intelligence mod to reflex saves. Access to Metamorphasis line of powers for buffing and sharing buffs with allies. Egoist has lots of very nice buffs like Psychofeedback, Fission, and Hustle. Shared Effect lets you share personal range buffs with teammates too. Also the good old Vigor+Share pain combo with your psicrystal to get double the temporary hp from Vigor.

Its very easy to get full attacks due to hustle. If you fight longer range opponents then Dimensional Agility feat, with augmented Fold Space, and Hustle will let you get a full attack off against anyone within 400+40*ml feet. Taking Expanded Knowledge for Claws of the beast also is very nice.

Psicrystal Affinity, Psionic Meditation, Expanded Knowledge(Claws of the Beast), Improved Metamorphasis.

Claws of the Beast and Metamorphasis at level 5 you can have 4 claw attacks that do 1d8dmg when medium sized with full BAB before size increases. With 1+Int mod AoO which allow movement due to Warder. Natural weapons are great when doing size category increases because it goes 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6...

You are +2 size categories from Metamorphasis, giving +4 strength. It also synergizes with the Primal Warrior Stance which makes you count as +2 size categories for natural weapon dmg. So +4 strength and +4 size categories. Your claws are doing 6d6+strength. You can buff that with Improved Natural Attack after 8 BAB to bring it up to 8d6. Add on an item of the spell Strong Jaw brings you up to 16d6 per claw attack.

As you get higher manifester level you can increase the base dmg of Claws of the Beast to make it even strong and add on Haste/Physical Acceleration for another attack.

At lvl 11 with fully augmented Claws of the Beast, Greater Metamorphasis, and Physical Acceleration you.
Claws base dmg are 3d6 and 2d6. Which are increased by +1 for Improved Natural weapon, +2 for Primal Warrior Stance, +2 for Metamorphasis, +2 for Strong Jaw. Bring the dmg to 3 claw attacks for 32d6+str and 3 claw attacks for 24d6+str. Using Broken Blade and Primal Fury boosts and strikes combined with Psion powers to do awesome stuff. Hustle + Cornered Frenzy Strike means you get 6 attacks at full BAB against all enemies in range. That is a blender.

I did a similar build on a straight Psion Egoist and it dealt with anything that could be hit very well. Full BAB on all attacks is very nice when working from a deficit compared to the party Barbarian.

Elricaltovilla
2015-05-16, 10:24 AM
Paizo FAQ, you can't stack size increases anymore. You get one "actual" size increase (enlarge person, expansion, improved natural attack etc.) and one "virtual" size increase (impact weapons, gravity bow, primal warrior stance etc.).

Khosan
2015-05-17, 05:00 PM
I mocked up an Investigator//Dervish Defender Warder with a 25 PB just to see what was possible.

As it turns out, it's quite scary (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=208593) when it has all its buffs running. You could probably do better by going Half-Elf instead of Tiefling for the favored class bonus in combination with an Inspired Rapier. Higher damage in the short run, but rapiers don't work with Piranha Strike and you'll eventually run out of Inspiration. It's not as scary as Artillery's Warder//Psion, but still pretty scary.

I didn't look too much into maneuvers, but you can put out very good numbers with the Thrashing Dragon maneuvers. Best I can see on a single target at level 10 is with Sharpened Talons and Dragon Assault (and a Haste extract some time before) in the same round. 5 attacks at +28/+28/+28/+23/+23, dealing up to 5d2+30d6+139 damage. Multi-target it's not as good due to the loss of Studied Combat.

Even outside of maneuvers and buffs, it's still pretty respectable. Dex and Int to damage topped off with Studied Combat mean you're never really in a bad position.

TwentyFold
2015-05-18, 01:53 PM
All above considered.

Meanwhile I must ask upon your ideas on a build similar to this:
Pistolero Gunslinger/ Inquisitor (with the Travel Domain)
Aasimar Plum-kin
Focus full attacks with: Rapid Shot, Double Pistols, Bane. Focus reloading time to get a free action reload to freely attack each round with very little worrying on reload actions.
Using Pistolero's Up Close and Personal: +xd6 on each shot, precision damage, with a 1/2 damage on miss. On missing I still deal tons of damage, and later I can use my signature deed in this to gain this precision damage on each shot with half on all missed.

Does anyone believe this to be a suitable gunslinger Inquisitor build? If so let me no, and if not, tell me what I can do to improve it! I am still open to any other builds, so if that is all you are here for I will gladly consider.