PDA

View Full Version : Nnnoooo!!!!

K2
2007-04-19, 08:16 PM
Death Knight is dead, and such an ignoble death at that...I mean redeath. But still I was hoping to see the guy rack up some more kills. But perhaps I should look at the bright side, the breach is now unmanned and all of those Ghast(or were they ghouls?) will be poring through into the city. The force of evil may yet be successful.

For RedCloak!

PlasticSoldier
2007-04-19, 09:02 PM
For the Crimson Mantle,
For war,
For glory,
FOR FUN!!!!

P.s. I totally agree with you.

mikeejimbo
2007-04-19, 09:07 PM
I agree, of all the Deus Ex Machina that could have been chosen, that one was one of the more anti-climactic, to borrow PlasticSoldier's completely correctly-spelled words.

Still, I think his sacrifice was not in vain.

PlasticSoldier
2007-04-19, 09:14 PM
Still, I think his sacrifice was not in vain.

Agreed stories will be told for generations about the Hero who bravely charged through Giant soldiers and massacred the defenders and how with him the day was won, how he is the reason a hobgoblin flag flies over Azure,And how he died defending the fathers and grandfathers of the great hobgoblin empire!!!

Of course I could just be making stuff up and that the battle will go terrible for him and humans will demonize death knights for all eternity.

Either way his name will live on.

jindra34
2007-04-19, 09:16 PM
Agreed stories will be told for generations about the Hero who bravely charged through Giant soldiers and massacred the defenders and how with him the day was won, how he is the reason a hobgoblin flag flies over Azure,And how he died defending the fathers and grandfathers of the great hobgoblin empire!!!

Of course I could just be making stuff up and that the battle will go terrible for him and humans will demonize death knights for all eternity.

YEs, yes it will, Call him Deathy...

mikeejimbo
2007-04-19, 09:17 PM

Very true. One of my favorite parts in Pirates of the Caribbean:

"You are without a doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of."
"Ah, but you have heard of me."

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 09:19 PM
it was perfect...V would have been screwed over very badly against it had that not happen. They can drop power word kills......V has under 100 hp.....The End

Assassinfox
2007-04-19, 09:22 PM
it was perfect...V would have been screwed over very badly against it had that not happen. They can drop power word kills......V has under 100 hp.....The End

No, they can't.

If you crack open the 3E Monster Manual II and take a look at the death knight entry, you'll see that the template does NOT come with the power word spells. The version with the power word spells is in the 3rd edition of Dragonlance, and last time I checked, OotS doesn't take place on Krynn.

mikeejimbo
2007-04-19, 09:47 PM
And maybe Durkon would worship my man Reorx!

K2
2007-04-19, 09:55 PM
You know what, you guys are right. Death Knight may be dead, but as long as the Crimson Mantle and its horde of hobgoblins wins I will be happy. In other words, as long as I get to watch those corrupt and arrogant paladins die horrible deaths my blood lust will be satiated.

FOR THE HORDE!

mikeejimbo
2007-04-19, 09:56 PM
For Redcloak's mother!

I swear, that made me tear up.

Icewalker
2007-04-19, 09:59 PM
He was pretty damn cool. And the death was somewhat anti-climactic, which is too bad. But I'm still rootin for OOTS. OOTS and Xykon, and not Azure City actually, I think it'd be quite cool if the city fell apart, but they still stop Xykon from, you know, taking over the world?

Assassinfox
2007-04-19, 10:27 PM
He was pretty damn cool. And the death was somewhat anti-climactic, which is too bad. But I'm still rootin for OOTS. OOTS and Xykon, and not Azure City actually, I think it'd be quite cool if the city fell apart, but they still stop Xykon from, you know, taking over the world?

Best Case Scenario. :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 10:29 PM
they used to be able to...the Death Knight of 3. is a sad shadow of its former glory. And we will never know becuase he is dead

jindra34
2007-04-19, 10:31 PM
they used to be able to...the Death Knight of 3. is a sad shadow of its former glory. And we will never know becuase he is dead

umm... he was dead to begin with... kinda... now he's re-dead or truly dead or something...

Assassinfox
2007-04-19, 10:36 PM

Agreed. Fortunately, the 3E Dragonlance version of the Death Knight still gets all the spiffy powers. If I was gonna play a Death Knight, I'd use their version. :smalltongue:

Nathander
2007-04-19, 11:02 PM
I'm fairly certain that Xykon's forces will destroy the gate, though I doubt they'll genuinely take over the city as I don't see Xykon caring enough about it to set up a base of operations in it. Redcloak may attempt to insist on it, seeing as how it would be a good idea at the very least and they would have a stronghold in a territory, seeing as how they have the forces to spare.

Adding to this: while the Death Knight is dead, everyone appears to be forgetting about the Eye of Fear and Flame and his forces, and that Redcloak sent the Heucuva(sp?) with a few thousand troops to reinforce the Eye of Fear and Flame. While I think the Eye may do a few things worthwhile, it seems like it'll probably be fairly worthless compared to the Heucuva. I don't doubt that the OoTS will survive (or, at the very least, the majority of them), I do think they'll lose this round.

Fawkes
2007-04-19, 11:24 PM
Why does everyone root for the bad guys in this comic?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-19, 11:26 PM
same reason that everyone roots for the good guys in everything else

MReav
2007-04-19, 11:32 PM
I mean, seriously, if the DK was going to be unceremoniously killed off, he should have at least said "I AM INVINCIBLE!" beforehand.

jindra34
2007-04-19, 11:34 PM
I mean, seriously, if the DK was going to be unceremoniously killed off, he should have at least said "I AM INVINCIBLE!" beforehand.

Yeah but he was smart enough not to envoke the punishment of the universe on himself... seriously is there any surer way of getting yourself beaten than yelling "I AM INVINCIBLE"....?

MReav
2007-04-19, 11:36 PM
Yeah but he was smart enough not to envoke the punishment of the universe on himself... seriously is there any surer way of getting yourself beaten than yelling "I AM INVINCIBLE"....?

Well, then V should have at least used an illusion to have the DK's voice say that.

K2
2007-04-19, 11:52 PM
Adding to this: while the Death Knight is dead, everyone appears to be forgetting about the Eye of Fear and Flame and his forces, and that Redcloak sent the Heucuva(sp?) with a few thousand troops to reinforce the Eye of Fear and Flame. While I think the Eye may do a few things worthwhile, it seems like it'll probably be fairly worthless compared to the Heucuva. I don't doubt that the OoTS will survive (or, at the very least, the majority of them), I do think they'll lose this round.

To be honest (its almost as painful as thinking) I dont know what an Eye of Fear and Flame is, much less what one is capable of. Thats Ditto on the Heucuva(sounds like a word that my grandmum would use while praying) thingy.

jindra34
2007-04-19, 11:54 PM
Well, then V should have at least used an illusion to have the DK's voice say that.

MAybe she did... we probably will never know...

Assassinfox
2007-04-19, 11:59 PM
To be honest (its almost as painful as thinking) I dont know what an Eye of Fear and Flame is, much less what one is capable of. Thats Ditto on the Heucuva(sounds like a word that my grandmum would use while praying) thingy.

It makes fear. And flames. :smalltongue:

Vale
2007-04-20, 01:29 AM

This is being done from memory, can't quickly a page to back me up on this and I'm going to bed in a few minutes. Might want to double check this with Google (http://www.google.com)

Huecuva's are undead clerics essentially. In life they worshipped a non-evil God, and then switched teams at some point. In the after/unlife they're brought back as a hecuva. Personally, I'm rooting for this huecuva to have abandoned Thor just for the extra fierceness that might add to the inevitable Durkon/Huecuva fight.
I say inevitable because
a) it'd be three different kinds of awesome, and
b) If a hecuva spots a good-aligned cleric, they have to do their best to move in and attack them.

mmm, my pillow just called my name longingly, I must leave it to someone else to explain the Eye of Fear and Flame!

Kreistor
2007-04-20, 02:26 AM
The DK served his purpose. Ghouls are probably pouring through the breach, and one blow from them can stop anyone. The commander is down, and V is getting into resource management issues.

Bilgore
2007-04-20, 03:01 AM
seriously is there any surer way of getting yourself beaten than yelling "I AM INVINCIBLE"....?

"Hey y'all, lookit what ah'm doin'!"

ShiningTed
2007-04-20, 03:57 AM
Ok, I am confused yet again.

THIS (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/pdf/undead/huecuva.pdf) extremely helpful site (posted by someone when the Undead decoys were introduced) rates huecuvas as 2d12HD CR 3 critters - not that tough. Yet now people are assuming its plenty tough and stating it is CR 9, which seems fair enough considering the spells it has cast so far. So whats going on?

Threeshades
2007-04-20, 05:26 AM
I'm not a homanoid of big words so just look at the last line of my signature.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-20, 06:28 AM
Why does everyone root for the bad guys in this comic?

Evil will succeed because good it dumb.

And I don't like being stupid.

Om
2007-04-20, 07:50 AM
Either way his name will live on.What is/was his name?

Jari Kafghan
2007-04-20, 09:22 AM
Deathy.
*strikes pose*

Forrestfire
2007-04-20, 11:07 AM
the stats for a hevuca are in the 3rd ed. fiend folio; they usually have 5+HD and the abilities of a cleric, monk, druid, or blackguard.

the eye of fear and flame is an undead creature from the Book of Vile Darkness; it has 12HD and can cause a fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fear.htm)effect 1/round as a free action and can cast a 10d6 fireball (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fireball.htm) 1/3 rounds, among other things.

Mordaedil
2007-04-20, 12:31 PM
Rooting for villains is so bloody 90's. Just like anti-heroes are bloody 70's.

Personally, I just watch from the sidelines, smiling at whoever wins, by whatever means. An anti-climatic death just means that the DM thought the monster was to hard for the encounter, a common occurrence with unbalanced monsters.

Oxymoron
2007-04-20, 02:44 PM
I wil certainly miss the death knight. He was so evil and awsome. But he had his moment and now he`s dead (again). Lets hope the other two skellies (not counting Xykon) are equally awsome, though I doubt it.

Deathy is my favorite villain so far.

Fawkes
2007-04-20, 11:23 PM
same reason that everyone roots for the good guys in everything else

That makes no sense!

Evil will succeed because good it dumb. And I don't like being stupid.

Your fake logic hurts my brain.

Kreistor
2007-04-20, 11:46 PM
Rooting for villains is so bloody 90's

Really? I guess I was a trend setter. I rooted for villains back in the 80's!

Lemur
2007-04-21, 12:19 AM
Eh, Death Knight was a throw-away villain to start with.

I mean, unlike most characters, permanent or temporary, he didn't really have a sense of comedic timing. He was all, "Murder Death Kill! Murder Death Kill!" except he forgot to try to be funny about it.

Moral of the story: If you're too serious, a zombie dragon head will crush you. Crush you to death.

Fawkes
2007-04-21, 02:09 AM
I'll say one thing about the DK: he was a badass. "Let the reaping begin!"

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-21, 08:53 AM
Ok, I am confused yet again.

THIS (http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/pdf/undead/huecuva.pdf) extremely helpful site (posted by someone when the Undead decoys were introduced) rates huecuvas as 2d12HD CR 3 critters - not that tough. Yet now people are assuming its plenty tough and stating it is CR 9, which seems fair enough considering the spells it has cast so far. So whats going on?

That is an updated version fo the 2nd ed Huecuva rather than the official 3rd edition version which is a template and therefore has the abilities of a Player Character + monster stuff.

BisectedBrioche
2007-04-21, 09:21 AM
Your fake logic hurts my brain.

I'm inclined to wonder how.

ZING!

Dectilon
2007-04-21, 09:32 AM
I only root for the bad guys when they fit into one of these categorys:

1: Witty intellectuals an strategists, like Xykon and Redcloak. Xykon less than Redcloak since he has no interest for strategy :( I'm sure at least some of you here are watching Death Note, in which I favor Kira. He might be the bad guy, but it's gratifying to see him overcome the odds stacked against him with a cold calculation.
2: Madling sworddancers, kinda like Miko I suppose, but yet another step gone. Those too skillful to throw away, and too mad to control. Those among the villains who can do the unexpected and not seldom stupid and get away with it through raw skill.
3: The adorable kind, like thog in his costume : )

It might be prudent to point out that it's not uncommon for a hero to kill more people than the villain before the movie ends. It's also not uncommon for the hero to be much less complex than the villain. Take Gangs of New York as an example. It's the Butcher who is the interesting character in that movie. : P

mikeejimbo
2007-04-21, 11:47 AM
I'm sure at least some of you here are watching Death Note, in which I favor Kira. He might be the bad guy, but it's gratifying to see him overcome the odds stacked against him with a cold calculation.

At least for Light, whether he's the bad guy because he kills people, or the good guy because of who he kills is, I believe a matter of opinion.

And, um, go Death Knight!