PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How do I reboot a dying campaign?

MonkeySage
2015-05-13, 01:05 PM
I have run this particular campaign for nearly two years, and I've built on the story that entire time. For that entire time, I've pretty much worked with the same group of players. Lately, however, I've been finding it difficult to get even two of those players together, and I fear it may be time to let this group dissolve.

I do not want to put this story down, though, I've put far too much work into it. I'd like to be able to cleanly pick it back up with a new group, while keeping the same continuity up until where my previous group left off, as continuity is very important to me.

How do I do that?

Segev
2015-05-13, 01:18 PM
There are a number of possible techniques. The simplest (but likely least satisfying) would be to simply offer the PCs, with complete backstory up to this point, to new players.

Another option is to try introducing a new player at a time, with whichever of the extant players you can get together present, and slowly build the party up to the point that the loss of the old PCs is not felt so strongly by the plot.

You could also write a ramp-up plot about how a new party cottons on to the mystery, hears about the adventures of hte old, and build a shortish precampaign to cover that investigation to the point where they're able to catch up with the current party's point in the story. Then have them meet this party they've been researching/following into things. Let any players from the old group who can and still want to join up with the new party. Or run the old party as NPCs for the meeting and handing off any important macguffins and clues they new party doesn't yet have.

Then continue running.

CombatBunny
2015-05-13, 01:52 PM
Talk your concern with your players, tell them that you think that it’s time to end this story for the reasons stated above.

Ask them to please assist to one more session (probably two for conclusions and epilogue) to have a final battle and to give each character its conclusion.

The end of a story doesn’t mean the end of your setting or your bigger plot. Make it seem as it is; make your players feel as if this is the grand finale, and dissolve the group.

Then you can use that setting and events to slowly introduce a new party to your plot, were the old heroes will become NPCs or legends. If the new characters are experienced enough, you can create high-level PCs (Maybe one or two levels below the former heroes) and start from there.

--- Edit ---

Speaking from my experience, the conclusion of a story gives you time for a last grand encounter and final conclusions, but nothing more.

Don’t add more puzzles, don’t introduce NPCs, don’t create new mysteries or situations, don’t add more encounters, etc. Go as fast as you can to the climax of your story (ex. You are right at the door where the main villain awaits) and then you can dedicate the rest of the session to give each player a conclusion and let them tell you how does each character retires.

BWR
2015-05-14, 01:02 AM
Talk your concern with your players, tell them that you think that it’s time to end this story for the reasons stated above.

Ask them to please assist to one more session (probably two for conclusions and epilogue) to have a final battle and to give each character its conclusion.

The end of a story doesn’t mean the end of your setting or your bigger plot. Make it seem as it is; make your players feel as if this is the grand finale, and dissolve the group.

Then you can use that setting and events to slowly introduce a new party to your plot, were the old heroes will become NPCs or legends. If the new characters are experienced enough, you can create high-level PCs (Maybe one or two levels below the former heroes) and start from there.

--- Edit ---

Speaking from my experience, the conclusion of a story gives you time for a last grand encounter and final conclusions, but nothing more.

Don’t add more puzzles, don’t introduce NPCs, don’t create new mysteries or situations, don’t add more encounters, etc. Go as fast as you can to the climax of your story (ex. You are right at the door where the main villain awaits) and then you can dedicate the rest of the session to give each player a conclusion and let them tell you how does each character retires.

Pretty much this.

MysticMonkey
2015-05-17, 07:08 AM
I suppose it could depend on where exactly the old party is in their adventure. Continuity, I agree, is important, but players will always unwittingly mess that up anyway.

If they are halfway through the fortess surrounded by enemies hunting them down, you would probably really want to try to get them together for another session or 2 to finish off that part of the story arc.

But if they are not close yet and still working on some other loose ends before heading to the end, as unsatisfying as it sounds, they could just simply give up. A new party could find out about events a few clues and pick up the mantel.

Jay R
2015-05-17, 10:12 AM
One way to rekindle interest is to give each character a new, particular fun magic item, which they will then want to play with. When the Paladin gets her first +5 Holy Avenger, or the Wizard gets his first Staff of Wizardry, they tend to want to use them.

It's cheesy, perhaps, but it works.

Wartex1
2015-05-17, 10:16 AM
If you can't rekindle the game and get new players, then if you can given time constraints in-universe, you could put the plot in stasis. Then, after something renders the original characters unable to complete their goal, they could pass down the torch to a new group.