PDA

View Full Version : Is it against the rules to say "please read my previous post in this thread"?

Lheticus
2015-05-13, 02:02 PM
I could swear someone called me out for this exact reason before, but I just looked at them and I don't seem to see where it says that. And in a gaming thread that I started, there are now 2 maybe 3 different people who are asking a question that I have definitely already answered before the post in the thread in which they ask. Is it REALLY not allowed to tell them to RTFP?

Roland St. Jude
2015-05-13, 02:30 PM
Sheriff: Correct. You really cannot say that here. Just tell them again, perhaps in a different way given that it didn't seem to register the first time. Too often, "read what I wrote" or "I answered that above" is just being used as a way of suggesting the person didn't read, cant' read, or could only disagree because they didn't read/understand your prior post.

It's possible to tell someone the answer is in a prior post in a closed PbP setting in a way that doesn't upset the other readers, doesn't get reported, and so we'll never know about it. But I, personally, wouldn't want to rely on that. As in any other discussion, you're better off just telling them again.

Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

Flaming

Tell a poster that they clearly didn't read what you or others wrote upthread. Alternately, any statement that implies that the only way someone could disagree with you is because they don't understand/can't read properly is likewise not allowed.