PDA

View Full Version : Favored soul vs other classes

The Shadowdove
2015-05-13, 02:36 PM
Hey peeps,

I'm curious as to why someone may choose flavored soul (mmmm) over another class of similar capabilities or role.

Aesthetic and flavor/play style value aside.

It seems like any other divine class has higher health.

Cleric can fill the same role, whether blasty, Healy, or melee with more hp.

Paladin does the tanky melee divine caster better imo, with less healing potential.

Warlock can be a blasty meleer, emphasis on the blasty.

And eldritch knight does the arcane swordsman thing with more health and melee power+hp.

I am just now considering the class, and just want to hear what people have done with this class to make it shine.

What am I missing that might put the favored soul on equal footing?

what does it excel at?

What it it's role?

Thank you all in advance. Your superior expertise is always appreciated.

-dove

Easy_Lee
2015-05-13, 02:40 PM
Twinned healing spells and resurrection from life or subtle control spells from trickery, and so on; medium armor and a shield so you only need 14 DEX; free flight and more spells than dragon; can choose to melee...there are reasons.

Madfellow
2015-05-13, 03:10 PM
If you take the favored soul over similar options, it's because of what you get from the sorcerer base class, namely:
1) Sorcery points; buy back spell slots without needing to stop for a rest like the warlock and wizard.
2) Metamagic; like magic? Make it better.
3) Proficiency with constitution saves, unique among full caster classes and vital to maintaining concentration.

The sorcerer seems to be the redheaded stepchild among spellcasters, but it actually has a lot going for it.

SharkForce
2015-05-13, 03:16 PM
you think cleric can be more blasty than a sorcerer?

ummm... ok. sure. you go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

because clerics can totally quicken a spell then add on a twinned cantrip, or drop a call lightning and a quickened fireball in the same round, right?

Easy_Lee
2015-05-13, 03:25 PM
drop a call lightning and a quickened fireball in the same round, right?

Minor correction: can't cast a leveled spell in the same round as you bonus cast a spell, for some reason. It's in the spellcasting chapter.

SharkForce
2015-05-13, 03:30 PM
Minor correction: can't cast a leveled spell in the same round as you bonus cast a spell, for some reason. It's in the spellcasting chapter.

conveniently, call lightning lasts for quite a while, and activating it is not casting a spell.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-13, 03:37 PM
conveniently, call lightning lasts for quite a while, and activating it is not casting a spell.

Ah, yes you can certainly quicken a spell while spending your action to maintain another.

Ashrym
2015-05-13, 03:46 PM
The issue with call lightning is the area requirement. It's great when that requirement is met and completely useless if the caster cannot cast the spell.

The Shadowdove
2015-05-13, 03:58 PM
you think cleric can be more blasty than a sorcerer?

ummm... ok. sure. you go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

because clerics can totally quicken a spell then add on a twinned cantrip, or drop a call lightning and a quickened fireball in the same round, right?

Ouch, you're right, but did you have to have so much attitude? I am in no way an expert at this and was hoping for advise seeing as I have no dispute in the matter, not criticism on my vague understanding.

I am undoubtedly a novice when it comes to sorcerer, and appreciate the input nontheless. I know not the tricks up the sorcerer's sleeve and am getting a better picture now.

If you take the favored soul over similar options, it's because of what you get from the sorcerer base class, namely:
1) Sorcery points; buy back spell slots without needing to stop for a rest like the warlock and wizard.
2) Metamagic; like magic? Make it better.
3) Proficiency with constitution saves, unique among full caster classes and vital to maintaining concentration.

The sorcerer seems to be the redheaded stepchild among spellcasters, but it actually has a lot going for it.

Ah, this is what I was hoping for. Very specific and clear. Now I see why the favored soul has/had so much going for it. It's not the favored soul part alone that makes it so efficient, it's the fact that it benefits from all of the sorcerer bits and pieces (which, again, i didn't know very well) as well as the domain of a cleric!

Thanks to everyone.

also, am I right in assuming that the favored soul gains the cleric domain abilities as they level too?

much appreciated!

Easy_Lee
2015-05-13, 04:01 PM
also, am I right in assuming that the favored soul gains the cleric domain abilities as they level too?

Just the spells, I believe.

SharkForce
2015-05-13, 04:25 PM
Just the spells, I believe.

yup. which is a bit of a shame, would've been way cooler if they gained some of the domain abilities instead... but honestly, probably necessary that they either get all the domain abilities or none (afaict, the domains are fairly well balanced when you take the full thing into account, but not all the abilities at the same level are balanced against each other quite as well), and i don't think they felt there was room for all.

The Shadowdove
2015-05-13, 04:40 PM
yup. which is a bit of a shame, would've been way cooler if they gained some of the domain abilities instead... but honestly, probably necessary that they either get all the domain abilities or none (afaict, the domains are fairly well balanced when you take the full thing into account, but not all the abilities at the same level are balanced against each other quite as well), and i don't think they felt there was room for all.

Yeah domain abilities would have rocked too.

Guess you're right, there probably were balance concerns.