PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Class for a Non-Magic Pulp Adventure D&D 5e Campaign

MadGrady
2015-05-13, 03:39 PM
So I am currently in process of desigining a new campaign for D&D 5e that will be a 1920s Pulp Adventure series (think Mummy/Indiana Jones).

Players will NOT have access to magic, and so I am currently building out 4-5 new classes to supplement those classes that are no longer available.

My first class is the Explorer class (your Laura Croft/Alan Quartermain/Indiana Jones) type character. The intention with this class was to fill the role normally filled by the Bard - a skill monkey with some various knowledge/defense/combat options dependent on Path chosen (yes I built out three sub-classes to choose from).

The biggest hurdle I had was obviously trying to replace Spell casting , as this is a major piece of the Bard's abilities - so my concern is that this class might be too weak.

This is why I have brought it to you - my fellow forum members, to have you guys see if this class is on par with the other classes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

With nervous anticipation, an American scrapes the dirt and cobwebs off an ancient inscription found on a stone in a steamy jungle,and silently mouths the translation. With a cry of excitement he now knows the location of the ancient city he has sought for so long. Armed to the teeth, an German ex-soldier crouches down behind the overturned table in some hot bar in the ghettos of Egypt, as the bullets fly overhead. He mutters a curse that they finally found him, tucks the ancient golden scepter he had stolen from them three days before, pulls back the hammers on his two pistols, and jumps up, both barrels blazing. Sitting down, his legs crossed, an old English gentlemen, his long rifle laying across his legs, takes the offered bowl with the strange brew, and gulps it down, fearful of offending the native chief. He is has heard that there is a tiger in this part of the jungle that has killed many hunters before him, and he wishes to test his own mettle against the great beast, but first he must obtain the permission of the chief.

The world is full of those seeking adventure, but not all who travel the world are true Explorers. A true Explorer seeks to further knowledge by uncovering relics of the past, or discovering new lands and untamed wildlife. Wealth can be a goal, but it is often secondary to the pursuit of the unknown. They come from a variety of backgrounds, and from all countries of the world. Often competative with each other, they are distrustful of others of their kind, but they can be fast friends and those of specific note are often sought out for their particular skills. Whether acting on their own, or as guides for a wealthy backer's expedition, they are seen as the ultimate authority for their domain, and foolish is the man who does not heed their advice. Branded as mavericks, thieves, foolhardy adventurers, or worse, one still cannot deny their skills and tenacity for getting out of the stickiest situations.

Whether they are a scholar searching the jungles for the answers to an ancient mystery, relic hunters delving into ancient tombs to abscond with the treasures found within, or a hunter wishing to simply pit their wits and skills against all that nature might throw at them, an Explorer is above all categorized as being a curious person. They have an innate knack for knowing the answers to many obscure questions due to their extensive studies and travels. They know many languages, and can blend into the cultures of the lands they explore. Knowledge and prestige are the true goals of an Explorer, but if they make some money as a result, that isn't such a bad thing.

Hit Dice: 1d8 per Explorer level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Explorer level after 1st

Armor: None
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tools: Theives' Tools plus 2 additional tools of your choice
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose three skills from Acrobatics, Athletics, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth, Survival

****EDITED WITH SUGGESTED CHANGES MADE SO FAR

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Feature

+2
Explorer's Knack (d6), Intelligent Combat, Worldwide Traveler

+2
Disarming Expert, Advantageous Recall, Biting Wit (1d6)

+2
Explorer Archetype

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Biting Wit (2d6), Font of Knowledge, Explorer's Knack (d8)

+3
Explorer Archetype Feature

+3
Trap Evasion

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Uncanny Dodge, Advantageous Recall (+1)

+4
Explorer's Knack (d10)

+4
Biting Wit (3d6), Expertise

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Learned Defense, Advantageous Recall (+1)

+5
Explorer Archetype Feature

+5
Explorer's Knack (d12)

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Advantageous Recall (+1), Biting Wit (4d6)

+6
Learned Defense

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Superior Knack

CLASS FEATURE DESCRIPTIONS

Explorer's Knack As an Explorer, your travels have gifted you with a wealth of knowledge that you can use to your advantage. At 1st level, you can use your bonus action to recall a bit of knowledge useful to you or an ally within 60 feet of you. That creature gains one Knack die, a d6. Once, within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw it makes. Once the Knack die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can only have one Knack die at a time. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest. Your Knack die changed when you reach certain levels in this class. This die becomes a d8 at 5th level, a d10 at 10th level, and a d12 at 15th level.

Intelligent Combat You are not proficient in any armor, but the locations you visit often make wearing armor more of a hinderance. As such, you have learned to use your wits to help you survive. When you are not wearing any armor, you AC is equal to 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Intelligence modifier. In addition, you have learned to pinpoint the weak spots on an enemy, allowing you to exploit such weaknesses. You may add your Intelligence modifier to any damage dealt by a melee or ranged weapon, in addition to the regular modifiers.

Worldwide Traveler Over the course of their travels, an Explorer visits many places around the world and meets lots of new people. As such, they have learned to communicate with those cultures, and have built lasting friendships all over the globe. You know a number of languages, in addition to those granted by your race and background, equal to 1 + your Intelligence Modifier. If your Intelligence modifier increases, you may add additional languages. In addition, you also are able to locate one of your friends (a contact) in all major cities you visit. The DM has the final say if a location is large enough to house one of your contacts. Your contact may provide you with shelter, food and drink, small supplies, and can even act as a local translator if needed.

Disarming Expert At 2nd level, you may double your proficiency bonus when setting or disarming traps. You can also disarm magical traps. In addition, you may add your proficiency bonus to Wisdom (Perception) checks made to locate traps, even if you do not have proficiency in the Wisdom (Perception) skill. If you already have proficiency in Wisdom (Perception), you may double to bonus when attempting to locate traps.

Advantageous Recall At 2nd level, your obscure knowledge allows you to accomplish tasks others would fail. When making an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you may roll with advantage. This ability can combine with your Explorer's Knack ability. You can use this ability once per day. You gain additional uses of this ability at 9th, 13th, and 17th level.

Biting Wit As you observe your enemies, you gain a brief insight into something that might potentially rattle them. At 2nd level, as an action, you can observe an enemy within 60ft of you, and then make a biting insult directed at them. The target must be able to understand your speech for this effect to work. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Intelligence Modifier). On a success, the target suffers no ill effects. If the target fails their save, they take 1d6 psychic damage, and have disadvantage on any attack rolls or ability checks on their next turn. This damage increases to 2d6 at 5th level, 3d6 at 11th level, and 4d6 at 17th level.

Explorer Archetype At 3rd level, your path as an Explorer takes a specific turn, and you may choose to follow an archetype of your choice: Archaeologist, Tomb Raider, or Hunter. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level, and again at 6th and 14th level.

Ability Score Increase When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. Alternatively, you may select one feat of your choice in lieu of an ability score increase.

Font of Knowledge Beginning when you reach 5th level, you regain all uses of Explorer's Knack when you finish a short or long rest.

Trap Evasion At 7th level, if you are supposed to take half damage from a trap on a successful save, you instead take no damage on a successful save.

Uncanny Dodge At 9th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attacks damage against you

Expertise The saying was wrong, you can teach old dogs new tricks. Or at least to perform old tricks with more success. At 11th level, select three of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for those skills. This ability does not stack with Expertise gained from other sources.

Learned Defense At 13th level, your journies have taken you through all the elements Nature, man or beast can throw at you. Select two elemental damage types, you gain resistance to those damage types. At 18th level, you may select an additional two elemental damage types.

Superior Knack At 20th level, whenever you roll a Knack die, you may roll it twice, and take the higher roll

SUBCLASS FEATURES

ARCHAEOLOGIST ARCHETYPE

Cultural Blend At 3rd level, your specialized training and experience with other cultures allows you to blend in with the locals. You can spend 1 minute to craft a disguise that will render you virtually indistinguishable from the local populace. You also gain one additional language of your choice

Increased Knowledge At 3rd level, choose two skills of your choice, you gain proficiency in those skills

Tool for Every Job At 6th level, you have accumulated a plethora of random items over the course of your travels. Your pack, or pockets, or whatever you use to carry your gear always seems to contain the right tool for the situation at hand. 3x per day, you can reach into your gear and pull out any single item found in the Adventuring Gear section of the Player's Handbook. The item must be non-damaging. This ability effectively allows you to carry gear not listed on your character, and you are not required to purchase these items. Once the situation has been resolved, the item is returned to your pack, and the use of that item expires. You may use the same item again, but it requires you to spend another one of your uses. Examples of items available include, but are not limited to: flashlights, pen, paper, bag of sand, rope, fishing gear, etc. You regain all uses of this ability when you complete a long rest.

Lucky Break At 14th level, you gain the Lucky feat

Tomb Raider Archetype

Knack for Combat Beginning at 3rd level, you can add your Knack die to the damage roll of a melee or ranged weapon.

Improvised Weapon User At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with improvised weapons

Extra Attack At 6th level, you may make an additional attack whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Clear the Room At 14th level, whenever you drop an enemy to 0 hit points, you may make a free attack against another enemy within 60 feet of you.

Hunter Archetype

Sharpshooter At 3rd level, you gain the Sharpshooter feet

Devastating Aim At 6th level, whenever you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll, you roll the damage dice 3x, instead of 2x.

Stopping Power At 14th level, whenever you hit a creature with an attack, it must make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 10 + your Intelligence modifier) or it's speed drops to 0, and it cannot make reaction attacks.

Steampunkette
2015-05-14, 01:39 AM
Disarming expertise isn't explained. I have a few suggestions for it.

1. Expertise with thieves tools.
2. Expertise withe persuasion or deception. Socially disarming with erudition type thing where you are knowledgeable enough that people let you talk longer than they should, just to see what your point is.
3. Use of Knowledge Skills in place of Social Skills. Intimidate people by recalling the torture of some minor noble in excrutiating detail. Seduce the Prince with your braininess and repartee. Drop just enough historical fact into a lie to convince people it is truth.

Personally I prefer the fourth option, both 1 and 3 combined because that would be awesome!

Flashy
2015-05-14, 03:50 AM
Tool for Every Job At 6th level, your gear always seems to include the right tool for the right job. You gain the use of three widgets that will aid you in some way for the situation you are in. You may choose any non-damaging item from the list of Adventuring Equipment from the PHB. The DM has the final say in whether the specific item can be used. You regain all widgets after you finish a long rest.

I'm quite confused by this ability. Do you have three charges of an ability that will allow you to replicate any mundane adventuring equipment or do you just get three items that for some reason can only be used once a long rest. If the former what happens to the gear after its used? Does it just vanish back into the ether?

MadGrady
2015-05-14, 08:35 AM
Disarming expertise isn't explained. I have a few suggestions for it.

1. Expertise with thieves tools.
2. Expertise withe persuasion or deception. Socially disarming with erudition type thing where you are knowledgeable enough that people let you talk longer than they should, just to see what your point is.
3. Use of Knowledge Skills in place of Social Skills. Intimidate people by recalling the torture of some minor noble in excrutiating detail. Seduce the Prince with your braininess and repartee. Drop just enough historical fact into a lie to convince people it is truth.

Personally I prefer the fourth option, both 1 and 3 combined because that would be awesome!

Good catch - the actual thought I had was to give double proficiency for disarming traps or to spot them. They already get thieves tool proficiency with the base class. However, I really like the suggestion for #3, so that is going into a potential add list I am making. I wanted this class to be INT based, and Im also looking into adding an INT based attack or something of that nature. This would definitely fit that motif.

I'm quite confused by this ability. Do you have three charges of an ability that will allow you to replicate any mundane adventuring equipment or do you just get three items that for some reason can only be used once a long rest. If the former what happens to the gear after its used? Does it just vanish back into the ether?

Yeah this one was hard for me to explain. If you have ever played GURPS this is the Serendipity ability found in that game. I guess it could also be like a Kender pockets.

The idea is this:

You have ALL kinds of strange crap and knick knacks in your bag. So 3x per day, you can reach into your pack/pocket/whatever and pull out just the right tool for the job - basically allowing you to "carry" items not listed in your normal gear.

Yes, after they are used, they "disappear". But you could pull out the same item 3x per day if wished. The 3x per day is a limitation so it's not always active, but I liked the flavor of the ability.

"Oh you need a pen - here I have one." "Oh we need flashlight? here you go"

that sort of thing.

Steampunkette
2015-05-14, 10:14 AM
To shore up their damage a bit you could give them int mod to weapon damage. Or the ability to use their Int mod in place of str/dex for attack and damage. Call it their knowledge of anatomy, rogue-style, without giving them straight up sneak attack.

Alternatively you could give them an ability to make a more damaging attack a number of times per short rest equal to their intelligence modifier.

Personally I like int mod to damage as a constant ability. It'd be a lower damage ability, overall, than Sneak Attack but it would be more constant.

Though now that I think about it, I'd suggest taking away the class's first two resistances so they can get Uncanny Dodge at 9 and pick up elemental resistances at 13 and 18. It would give them a more "Roll with the punches" ability.

MadGrady
2015-05-14, 10:38 AM
To shore up their damage a bit you could give them int mod to weapon damage. Or the ability to use their Int mod in place of str/dex for attack and damage. Call it their knowledge of anatomy, rogue-style, without giving them straight up sneak attack.

Alternatively you could give them an ability to make a more damaging attack a number of times per short rest equal to their intelligence modifier.

Personally I like int mod to damage as a constant ability. It'd be a lower damage ability, overall, than Sneak Attack but it would be more constant.

Though now that I think about it, I'd suggest taking away the class's first two resistances so they can get Uncanny Dodge at 9 and pick up elemental resistances at 13 and 18. It would give them a more "Roll with the punches" ability.

I love the idea of adding Int to damage. I'm ok with making it a straight up bonus to ranged/melee attacks (on top of STR/DEX mods) to help balance them out in the damage section. Thoughts about what level to add this? I could add it in at level 7 along with the trap evasion.

Nice suggestion for Uncanny Dodge as well. My one concern (and its not major) is that I don't want to step too much on the rogue's toes. I do want the classes to be separate (which is why i DIDN'T give them sneak - though that was definitely on the table)

But it's definitely a good fit flavor wise - so will add it to the list im making of potential updates.

Thanks for the feedback!

Flashy
2015-05-14, 10:49 AM
You have ALL kinds of strange crap and knick knacks in your bag. So 3x per day, you can reach into your pack/pocket/whatever and pull out just the right tool for the job - basically allowing you to "carry" items not listed in your normal gear.

Yes, after they are used, they "disappear". But you could pull out the same item 3x per day if wished. The 3x per day is a limitation so it's not always active, but I liked the flavor of the ability.

"Oh you need a pen - here I have one." "Oh we need flashlight? here you go"

that sort of thing.

Gotcha. I actually quite like this as a concept, I was just worried it was the alternative where you basically had three pieces of really cheap equipment that for some confusing reason you could only use once a day.

Steampunkette
2015-05-14, 11:11 AM
I can definitely understand not wanting to step on the Rogue's toes.

For my part I'm more or less seeing this as a Rogue-Replacement class. Not in the strict "Does whatever a Rogue does" sense, but more of a role-filling equivalent. Even with Uncanny Dodge, though, I don't think it'd stand next to a Rogue as near equivalence.

The lack of bonus action versatility, for example, and movement options. The lack of sneak attack positioning focus. No poison use or spellcasting... This class looks a lot more like the Thief archetype than the others, but doesn't stand up to the same rigors for trap disarming speed and pickpocketing and the like.

I feel like it's got enough differences to be a strong contender without being the superior rogue.

Plus 3 attacks per round (Main, Main, Offhand) is gonna make the Tomb Raider archetype my favorite in play... Assuming I can find a DM who'd let me use this class.

Oh. The wording on Old Dog, New Tricks should be changed to straight up Expertise. Otherwise it looks like it could stack with Expertise.

MadGrady
2015-05-14, 11:24 AM
Oh. The wording on Old Dog, New Tricks should be changed to straight up Expertise. Otherwise it looks like it could stack with Expertise.

Good catch - changing now.

MadGrady
2015-05-14, 11:36 AM
I edited the original post with some of the updates I have made. Definitely appreciate all your suggestions so far.

Updated Worldwide Contacts to be a bit more expansive to fit original intent

Added a couple new abilities: Biting Wit (Level 2), Deadly Knowledge (Level 6), and Uncanny Dodge (Level 9)

Biting Wit is to help fill the gap left by vicious mockery. The damage was increased from what VM normally provides - but that should help balance out the damage at the later levels. (at least that was the intent lol).

Deadly knowledge allows them to add INT to their weapon attacks as a bonus modifier

Uncanny dodge: Steampunkette made an excellent suggestion, so took it wholesale, and updated Learned Defense with the additional changes suggested.

Steampunkette
2015-05-14, 01:27 PM
How about making "Unarmored Defense" into "Unarmored Combat" and putting in the int bonus to damage, there, so long as they're not wearing armor?

MadGrady
2015-05-15, 08:52 AM
How about making "Unarmored Defense" into "Unarmored Combat" and putting in the int bonus to damage, there, so long as they're not wearing armor?

Just clarifying - are you suggesting that it does both? Add INT to AC and Damage?

Definitely not opposed to this idea

Steampunkette
2015-05-15, 12:02 PM
That is the thought, yup!

MadGrady
2015-05-15, 12:09 PM
I like it.

I called it "Intelligent Combat"

Here's the write up for it

You are not proficient in any armor, but the locations you visit often make wearing armor more of a hinderance. As such, you have learned to use your wits to help you survive. When you are not wearing any armor, you AC is equal to 10 + your Dexterity modifier + your Intelligence modifier. In addition, you have learned to pinpoint the weak spots on an enemy, allowing you to exploit such weaknesses. You may add your Intelligence modifier to any damage dealt by a melee or ranged weapon, in addition to the regular modifiers.

Steampunkette
2015-05-18, 03:34 PM
Oh! One more thing: Clear the Room should use either the Bonus Action or Reaction of the Tomb Raider subclass.

It's not fair to give them a "free" third attack just for killing someone. Even the Great Weapon feat eats your bonus action.

That said, giving them the ability to use their Reaction for it would synergize with their abilities well and give them the hard choice of attacking now or saving their Reaction for Uncanny Dodge when the enemies retaliate.

Galloca
2016-01-10, 04:03 AM
Thanks for putting this together and sharing! I've been trying to build and Indy character and have been struggling not to excessively multiclass. This single class might just fit the bill (if my DM allows me to use it.) So much great stuff here. A great combination of original ideas (Knack!) and pulling useful things from other classes (Uncanny Dodge!).

That being said, there are some Indy aspects that seem essential that might be fun to integrate into either the class or an archetype (it seems that the Archaeologist Archetype is the "Indy" Archetype, correct?) to make it more possible for someone to build the spot-on Indy!

Indy’s Chosen “Terrain”: Adapting the Natural Explorer feature from Ranger might be a great addition. Just make the "terrain" selection default to "temples/ancientruins/dungeons" and most of the features just falls into place as great Indy flavor.

Indy’s Strikes: What's Indy's favorite weapon? Not the revolver, nor the machete, and not even the whip. It's his fists! (Along with some well placed kicks and other jabs.) Proficiency with unarmed strikes, and 1d4 damage would seem essential. The Tavern Brawler Feat does grant these, but is it enough? Monk has progression with the die, plus bonus action unarmed strikes. Should Indy get some of that kind of love too in this department?

Indy’s Whip: Still the iconic Indy weapon/tool. However, only the Fighter Battlemaster Archetype gives access to those essential Disarm and Trip maneuvers. But the Martial Adept Feat would only give the Explorer class Indy one Superiority Die. Plus neither accounts for fun stunts like swinging or climbing with it. Perhaps the could be added, maybe using the Knack Die?

Indy’s Athleticism: He is always jumping, climbing, swimming, and running his way in and out of trouble. Any bonuses to these areas would seem appropriate. Many examples abound that could be ported over. Rogues have Second Story Work for climbing and jumping; Monks have running bonuses (that also helps jumping); Barbarians also have a running bonus plus Rage Advantage to STR checks; Rangers have access to Jump and Longstrider spells (though I know you don't have magic it does give an idea of appropriate bonuses); Rogues, Monks, and Fighters all have Dex Save Proficiency, and Barbs have Dex Save Advantage. The Mariner Fighting Style has climbing and swimming bonuses. Otherwise, maybe a Knack die could be used to boost these at just the right moment? Or perhaps an INT proficiency bonus (since Indy uses his smarts to his advantage in his physical feats)?

Indy’s Toughness: He takes a licking, and keeps on ticking. He does get hit. A LOT. So does this mean he has a relatively low AC, but really high HP? Should this be represented (or should it just be left to appropriate Ability Scores?)? The INT bonus to AC is good, but might improved resistance to damage (as the Barbarian has) be even more appropriate? I recognize that you have Learned Defense, but that doesn’t kick in until 13th, while the Barbarian gets it, with Rage, at 1st, with a potential bonus at 3rd. (A bonus to HP or a CON Save proficiency pickup might be good too, but those can be easy Feat pickup with Tough or Resilient)

Indy’s Luck: I originally came up with the following ideas for an Adventuring Archaeologist Background Feature, but any of it could be used with your new class:

1. You have a lucky memory for maps and layouts of tombs, ruins, and temples and you can always recall the general layout of their terrain, environment, and features around you. (This adapted from the Wanderer Aspect of the Outlander Background.)

2. You can always seem to find an improvised weapon when you need it (with which to ward off tomb raiders, fascists, and cultists, of course).

3. Once a day, seemingly at random (DM’s discretion?), something must go horribly wrong (possibly an automatic roll of “1), representing everything from falling short on a swing on a rope, to a surprise betrayal, to accidentally setting off a trap, to encounters with feared animals, to stumbling into fascist leaders. Afterwards, however, at some point (your or DM’s discretion?) you get extremely lucky (possibly an automatic roll of “20”), perhaps in immediate response to the unlucky event, representing anything from a vine being conveniently available to grab after falling short on a jump, to unexpected assistance from someone, to an enemy setting off a deadly trap for you, to stumbling upon a helpful item, to fascist leaders signing your journal instead of seeing through your disguise.

(I recognize that this last bit could be difficult to implement, but I like the idea of some kind of a special unlucky/lucky dynamic for Indy. This is inspired in part by the idea of a Bennie from the Savage Worlds RPG, that flips back and forth from being available to use by the PC to the GM.)

I know this is a lot of possible ideas, which might be difficult to add without overpowering the class, or taking other (important) features away. In order to add, if necessary I might suggest taking away Increased Knowledge, Lucky Break, or Language bonuses since those all can be easily picked up as Feats if you want them, while some of these other suggested features would require multiclassing (or simply don’t exist.)

I'm new to 5e and these boards, but I hope you might find some of these ideas helpful!