PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Lvl 20 Party against Cuthulu

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-13, 11:31 PM
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

But the big guy isn't sleeping for long. I'm coming to you all because while I'm decently up on my 3.5 higher end spellcaster shenanigans, I am at sea with a lot of the Pathfinder stuff.

The challenge. Given this ugly beheamoth http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu how would you build a level 20 wizard in pathfinder to counter or at least contribute to shutting him down.

I've got the DC40 will save figured out with gear, but for the sake of argument, you have the full 880k to spend as well.

Tactics? Build ideas? Anything would be helpful

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-13, 11:39 PM
If you already have a way to get around/through its Will save, just optimize for SR penetration (here's a post (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q2c3?Overcoming-Demonic-Spell-Resistance#18) explaining a few good methods) and cast Imprisonment. Doesn't make for an epic battle, so your DM will probably be annoyed, but at least you win.

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-14, 05:46 AM
optimize for SR penetration and cast Imprisonment. Doesn't make for an epic battle, so your DM will probably be annoyed, but at least you win.

Well alright. that's one method, though a risky one since I still have to get in touch range of Cuthulu. Does Pathfinder have something that will let me deliver a touch spell from a LONG ways away?

Any other ideas?

Prime32
2015-05-14, 07:00 AM
Build a steamboat.

2015-05-14, 07:05 AM
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

But the big guy isn't sleeping for long. I'm coming to you all because while I'm decently up on my 3.5 higher end spellcaster shenanigans, I am at sea with a lot of the Pathfinder stuff.

The challenge. Given this ugly beheamoth http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/great-old-ones/great-old-one-cthulhu how would you build a level 20 wizard in pathfinder to counter or at least contribute to shutting him down.

I've got the DC40 will save figured out with gear, but for the sake of argument, you have the full 880k to spend as well.

Tactics? Build ideas? Anything would be helpful

I've built a 20 level non-gestalt gunslinger-based build that could reliably One Round Kill every monster published in the PFSRD Bestiary (except for Demogorgon, Orcus, and Satan), although for most things above CR 25 I need to get the drop on them (via scroll of Teleport/Plane Shift/whatever). There's got to be a way to do it with a mage, likely through some combination of Gate and Wish abuse.

atemu1234
2015-05-14, 07:07 AM
Build a steamboat.

Actually, if you can build a boat and put a weapon on it, you might stand a half-decent chance. Invest the money into making the boat a continuous item of Magic Circle Against Evil (which the DM may or may not allow, since those rules are suggestions). Then, fire at will, and stay out of range. Also, see if your DM allows you to use 3.5 content, such as Stormwrack, which is my favourite supplement for water adventures.

Ettina
2015-05-14, 08:08 AM
Well alright. that's one method, though a risky one since I still have to get in touch range of Cuthulu. Does Pathfinder have something that will let me deliver a touch spell from a LONG ways away?

Any other ideas?

Spectral hand (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spectral_Hand) allows you to deliver touch spells from medium range. Reach spell (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Reach_Spell) is another option.

Psyren
2015-05-14, 08:52 AM
Actually, now I wonder what's the lowest level PF-only party that could take on the big C - both with high cheese (Sacred Geometry abuse, chain-gating etc) and moderate.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-14, 10:38 AM
Actually, now I wonder what's the lowest level PF-only party that could take on the big C - both with high cheese (Sacred Geometry abuse, chain-gating etc) and moderate.

Oooh, yeah. We should start a thread, it could be like that one a while ago where an E6 party had to take down a Balor.

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-14, 10:58 AM
Well another issue with imprisonment is the will save. FORT & Reflex are a bit better to tag, so I'm currently looking at turning him into a CR1 aberration, (Reach Polymorph Any Object).

Regardless, that only helps slightly with the challenge of bypassing his saves.

Other than +6 Enhancement bonus, the +5 Inherent from the tome, the + 1 from Stone of Good luck and the competence bonus from an ioun stone, how else in pathfinder can I send my int through the ceiling so I don't have to try to play debuff tag with something that can outfly ANYTHING published and has a 40ft reach, and could turn my wiz into raspberry jelly

EDIT: Obviously old age as well.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-14, 11:01 AM
Well another issue with imprisonment is the will save. FORT & Reflex are a bit better to tag, so I'm currently looking at turning him into a CR1 aberration, (Reach Polymorph Any Object).

Regardless, that only helps slightly with the challenge of bypassing his saves.

I thought you'd already dealt with getting past his saves?

Just pump your Int, grab Spell Focus, and maybe pick up Spell Perfection (Imprisonment). It's a tagless save-or-lose, so unless there's one of a lower spell level it's your best option.

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-14, 11:08 AM
I thought you'd already dealt with getting past his saves?.

On the DEFENSIVE side I can hit Will 40 without rolling, and am working on getting the rest where his SLAs won't matter.

On the OFFENSIVE side, that's where I'm running into issues, even with spell focus, greater spell focus, and spell perfection. How would you suggest I boost my INT. I'm currently at 38 INT.

With a box
2015-05-14, 11:20 AM
Can we break action economy and take 20 (or take 320) on imprisonment?

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-14, 11:20 AM
Can we break action economy and take 20 (or take 320) on imprisonment?

I'm pretty certain going in against Cuthulu counts as being threatened.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-14, 11:24 AM
I'm pretty certain going in against Cuthulu counts as being threatened.

You also don't make any skill checks to cast Imprisonment, so you can't take 20 on it. If this were 3.5, you could easily just apply metamagic cheese to get an Irresistible Imprisonment, but alas that metamagic feat is not in pathfinder.

AWiz_Abroad
2015-05-14, 11:29 AM
I've built a 20 level non-gestalt gunslinger-based build that could reliably One Round Kill every monster published in the PFSRD Bestiary (except for Demogorgon, Orcus, and Satan), although for most things above CR 25 I need to get the drop on them (via scroll of Teleport/Plane Shift/whatever). There's got to be a way to do it with a mage, likely through some combination of Gate and Wish abuse.

Care to share?

Zubrowka74
2015-05-14, 11:32 AM
And I guess Time Stop won't help, tough I would place myself behind him, go for Imprisonment and DD out.

With a box
2015-05-14, 11:48 AM
what I mean was
1.1. cheese time and get boatload of action
1.2 spam imprisonment (make few staffs and emtpy it)
or
2.1.get 50 solars or Planetar and ready a SoL(PAO/imprisonment, etc...) and
2.2.you cast gate(interplanner door version) to in front of him. and angels spam it on him, and cease concentration.

3. I think one of them will work. (even if they need natural 1 to succeed, it's 92% of succed rate if we get 50 of them)
that's why I called it "take 20", because you repeat them until succeed.