PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Variants [Updated 4/22]

Necromas
2007-04-19, 10:01 PM
Duskbow

-Lose: Armored Mage (medium, heavy shields), d8 HD, spells.

+Gain: Arcane channeling works with ranged attacks instead but is otherwise unchanged, d6 HD, spells.

Spells Lost: 1; blade of blood, 2; bulls strength, stretch weapon, 3; crown of might, keen edge.

Spells Gained: 1; arrow mind, 2; curse of arrow attraction, cats grace, 3; arrow storm, mark of the hunter.

Dusknife

-Lose: Armored Mage (medium, heavy shields), d8 HD, Full BAB, 2+int class skills, spells.

+Gain: d6 HD, Medium BAB, Sneak Attack (+1d6 at levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20), 6+int class skills, add hide, move silently, tumble, sense motive, bluff, and sleight of hand to class skills list, spells.

Spells Lost: 2; bulls strength, animalistic power, 3; crown of might, 4; fire shield.

Spells Gained: 2; crown of veils, cats grace, 3; phantom battle, 4; greater invisibility.

Dawnblade

-Lose: Armored Mage, Spell Power, Arcane Spells.

+Gain: Replace arcane spells with paladin spells, spellcasting is still spontaneous and the Dawnblade must still learn spells at the rate of a Duskblade, add 5th level spells to the paladin spell list. Add the inflict spells at the level a cleric would normally get them. Wisdom becomes your casting stat.

*Level 5 Paladin Spells: atonement, break enchantment, commune, righteous might, bolt of glory (spell compendium), lucent lance (spell compendium), raise dead, flame strike, disrupting weapon, mass cure light wounds, mass bulls strength, mass bears endurance.

Twilightblade

-Lose: Arcane Spells, Arcane Channeling, Arcane Channeling (full attack).

+Gain: Eldrich Blast and Invocations from the warlock invocation list, Blast Channeling, Blast Channeling (full attack), You may use quick cast on your eldrich blast or an invocation. Charisma becomes your casting stat.

Blast Channeling: Once a Twilightblade reaches third level, as a standard action you can make a single melee attack and also deal your eldrich blast damage. You can apply an eldrich essence invocation to the blast as long as it is not of the highest invocation level you can currently cast.

Blast Channeling (full attack): Once a Twilightblade reaches thirteenth level, as part of a full attack action, you can channel your eldrich blast into your weapon as part of a full action attack and deal your eldrich blast damage once to each enemy hit during the full attack. You can apply an eldrich essence invocation to the blast as long as it is not of the highest invocation level you can currently cast.

Eldrich Blast and Invocation Progression.
{table=head] Level|Eldrich Blast Damage|Max Invocation Level|Invocations Known
1|
1d6
|
Least
|

2|
1d6
|
Least
|

3|
1d6
|
Least
|

4|
2d6
|
Least
|

5|
2d6
|
Least
|

6|
2d6
|
Least
|

7|
2d6
|
Least
|

8|
3d6
|
Least
|

9|
3d6
|
Lesser
|

10|
3d6
|
Lesser
|

11|
3d6
|
Lesser
|

12|
4d6
|
Lesser
|

13|
4d6
|
Lesser
|

14|
4d6
|
Lesser
|

15|
4d6
|
Lesser
|

16|
5d6
|
Greater
|

17|
5d6
|
Greater
|

18|
5d6
|
Greater
|

19|
5d6
|
Greater
|

20|
6d6
|
Greater
|

[/table]

Note: You may combine a prefix variant with a suffix variant, such as making a Dawnbow or a Twilightknife, but the spell list changes would not apply (though you are free to make your own changes to the paladin and warlock lists for different variants).

Nebo_
2007-04-20, 02:30 AM
I really like the Twilightblade. I wouldn't get rid of full attack channeling all together though, maybe if you moved it to level 20 or made it Arcane Channeling: 2 Attacks.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-04-20, 03:26 AM
I'm very fond of the twilightblade, I may have to play one in the near future.

Necromas
2007-04-22, 07:36 PM
Added Duskbow and Dusknife.

Necromas
2007-08-22, 11:40 AM
I hate to bump such an old thread, but I'm looking to join a new campaign and need some more opinions on these variants before I pitch them to my DM, the Duskbow in particular being the one I am considering playing.

blue_fenix
2007-08-22, 12:33 PM
I hate to bump such an old thread, but I'm looking to join a new campaign and need some more opinions on these variants before I pitch them to my DM, the Duskbow in particular being the one I am considering playing.

Well, they are certainly not broken, if that's what you're worried about. Dusknife may have a tad too much damage output available when you combine sneak attack with channeling, but overall these seem just as "balanced" as Duskblade, whatever that means.

Korias
2007-08-22, 02:12 PM
The Duskbow is completely balanced. It replaces abilities with abilities of equal value, along with a reduction of HD, is perfectly fine.

The Dusknife is a great way to go into Arcane Trickster, and very cool looking. I like it. It has lots of ways to deal damage.

The Dawnblade is a good variant to having a paladin esque character.
The Twilightblade is very well done. Giving the character the powers of a duskblade and warlock is a powerful combonation indeed.

Necromas
2007-08-22, 03:54 PM
What about arcane channeling: full attack on the bow? I figure it'd be much easier to get the same spell to hit multiple opponents than with a melee weapon full attack.

Maybe make it only affect the first arrow loosed, and with manyshot have it affect all the arrows since you fire them all at once (this would make manyshot a full round action).