PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way a bard sing really loud?

With a box
2015-05-14, 02:44 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html
is this comic, :elan: sang "really loud" so can be heard and clamed entire battlefield.
is there a way to optimized to a shout (or bardic song) can be heard that far?
(for size of battlefield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html))

2015-05-14, 02:58 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html
is this comic, :elan: sang "really loud" so can be heard and clamed entire battlefield.
is there a way to optimized to a shout (or bardic song) can be heard that far?
(for size of battlefield (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html))

Although both the name of the item and the book it's from escape me ATM, I recall there being some sort of giant magical horn-like instrument that could be heard within a range measured in miles. I think it was supposed to be a D&D version of some giant (like, meters long) horn instrument from some European country that I can't remember at 3 in the morning an alphorn! That's what it's called.

EDIT: Okay, so it looks like there's three options available to you for increasing a Bard's range for bardic music (at least, 3 that I've found):

1. Use an alphorn; those things can be heard for miles through the mountains, and I think there's a magic one hidden in some splatbook.

2. In Stormwrack, there's a magic item called the Admiral's Bicorn that makes it possible for someone to hear you up to a mile away100 ft away (I looked it up; it's less impressive than I remembered, although it does grant all allies within 100 ft a +2 moral bonus to attack rolls).

3. There's a Bard 2/Cleric 2 spell from Heroes of Battle called "Resounding Voice" that makes your voice clearly audible from up to 100 ft/CL away. You could either cast the spell or make a permanent magic item of it.

Hrugner
2015-05-14, 04:33 AM
you could use a signal horn, since it requires a perform check I only assume the effects of the performance would carry as well. It's cheap, non magical, and most people will boost perception enough that 2 miles is a likely outcome.

this is the pathfinder entry for it.

SIGNAL HORN
Price 1 gp; Weight 2 lbs.
Sounding a horn requires a DC 10 Perform (wind instruments) check and can convey concepts such as "Attack!", "Help!", "Advance!", "Retreat!", "Fire!", and "Alarm!" The report of a signal horn can be clearly heard (Perception DC 0) up to a half-mile distant. For each quarter-mile beyond, Perception checks to hear the horn take a –1 penalty

Hiro Quester
2015-05-14, 07:27 AM
Make your inspiring bardic music using Perform (wind instrument) bagpipes. They are designed to be heard very well across a battlefield.

EastbySoutheast
2015-05-14, 07:27 AM
There is a spell called amplify that makes the listen check -20 to hear something. It lasts a minute per level and is a bard spell which can be centred on yourself...

It becomes a little bit of DM's discression on how much difference this would make to affect a range but... Due to the ruling with a DC 0 Listen check you could hear the bard 'talking' from 200 feet away, if he's shouting you're gonna be able to reach a much greater range
Hope that helps

Saintheart
2015-05-14, 06:40 PM
Make your inspiring bardic music using Perform (wind instrument) bagpipes. They are designed to be heard very well across a battlefield.

Or Perform (drums). War drums can be heard a long way off too.

Optimator
2015-05-14, 08:18 PM
There is a spell in Heroes of Battle that makes one's voice heard for some huge radius. Something like 100 feet per level. That should make Inspire Courage effect entire armies quite easily.

Jack_Simth
2015-05-14, 08:50 PM
There is a spell called amplify that makes the listen check -20 to hear something. It lasts a minute per level and is a bard spell which can be centred on yourself...

It becomes a little bit of DM's discression on how much difference this would make to affect a range but... Due to the ruling with a DC 0 Listen check you could hear the bard 'talking' from 200 feet away, if he's shouting you're gonna be able to reach a much greater range
Hope that helps

Amplify, Magic of Faerun, Bard-1.

Blackhawk748
2015-05-14, 10:51 PM

Seconding the Bagpipes, as a bonus they sound awesome