PDA

View Full Version : Mouthing Off Spells

squab
2015-05-14, 03:10 AM
Could I cast spells with my mouth? Specifically, could I cast firebolt with my mouth and run around pretending to be breathing fire?

Yuki Akuma
2015-05-14, 05:51 AM
As long as you have the required amount of free hands (and therefore aren't holding a weapon or shield or whatever in said hands) I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't allow you to refluff spells as coming out of your mouth.

Kane0
2015-05-14, 07:07 AM
Then do eldritch blast, firin mah lazor!

holygroundj
2015-05-14, 07:43 AM
"You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object in range"

Absolutely does not say where it comes from.

Joe the Rat
2015-05-14, 08:17 AM
The Verbal Component requires an accessible mouth, so if you have hands free (or sorcery points to burn), go for it.

Clearly, you need to use magic missle, with the bolts taking the form of bees made of force.

Just beware of backfires.

Slipperychicken
2015-05-14, 10:32 AM
Could I cast spells with my mouth? Specifically, could I cast firebolt with my mouth and run around pretending to be breathing fire?

Sounds like a good way to fluff it. As long as you're adhering to the normal restrictions of the spell (i.e. free hand, components, arcane foci, etc) it should be fine.

Chronos
2015-05-14, 02:01 PM
I once heard of a rather immature player playing a sorceress, who decided that high Charisma meant an ample bosom, and then extrapolated from that that she must be shooting Fireballs from out of her nipples. Silly, yes, but not inconsistent with the rules.

coredump
2015-05-14, 06:22 PM
Forget fireball... changing Burning Hands to Burning Mouth.

Godzilla!!

goto124
2015-05-14, 10:22 PM
This thread is great.

As long as you don't LARP it out and breathe fire in RL. Might set the house on fire.

squab
2015-05-14, 10:34 PM
Or the rulebooks.

Slipperychicken
2015-05-14, 11:08 PM
As long as you don't LARP it out and breathe fire in RL. Might set the house on fire.

You say that like that breathing fire during a dnd game wouldn't automatically top 99.99% of gaming stories.

TurboGhast
2015-05-16, 09:59 PM
You say that like that breathing fire during a dnd game wouldn't automatically top 99.99% of gaming stories.

Most stories would be topped by that, but you would need to be good at safe firebreathing IRL in order to pull this off, and probably make sure both your DM and play area are prepared for fire. Also keep a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.

Steampunkette
2015-05-17, 12:50 AM
"You hurl a mote of fire at a creature or object in range"

Absolutely does not say where it comes from.

Actually it demands that it comes out of your mouth. Why else would they use hurl as the verb in the sentence?

When it involves hurling something in your hands that item is big and requires force and often momentum. Hurling Cabers for example.

Tiny bit of fire? Puke it.