PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Why are weapon enchantments priced this way?

Sparklepaws
2015-05-14, 09:53 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for the intrusion, but I'm not fully comprehending the weapon pricing system for Pathfinder enchantments and was wondering if you gentlemen could help.

So when enchanting a weapon use this formula for pricing: (Current weapon bonus + new weapon bonus) - Value of existing bonus.

For example, if I wanted to add "Keen" to a +1 Defending Short Sword it would go like this: The current bonus is +2, plus the new bonus I want to add which is +1 for a total of +3. The value of a +3 enchantment is 18,000, so now I subtract the current bonus value which is 8,000. The cost for applying the enchantment is therefor 10,000 GP.

Here's my question: WHY is it like this, and WHERE in the book does it ever explain how this works? I know how to apply the enchantments now but I don't understand it, perhaps it's just me. An explanation on why I need to do math for this would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, I do have one more question. In the book it says: "Magic weapons have an enchantment bonus of +1 to +5. They apply these bonuses to both attack and damage rolls in combat, but their masterwork bonuses do not stack with enchantment bonuses."

So if I create a +3 Vorpal Longsword, that's technically a +8 weapon right? But those values aren't supposed to stack? I'm confused xD

Dgrin
2015-05-14, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone, sorry for the intrusion, but I'm not fully comprehending the weapon pricing system for Pathfinder enchantments and was wondering if you gentlemen could help.

So when enchanting a weapon use this formula for pricing: (Current weapon bonus + new weapon bonus) - Value of existing bonus.

For example, if I wanted to add "Keen" to a +1 Defending Short Sword it would go like this: The current bonus is +2, plus the new bonus I want to add which is +1 for a total of +3. The value of a +3 enchantment is 18,000, so now I subtract the current bonus value which is 8,000. The cost for applying the enchantment is therefor 10,000 GP.

Here's my question: WHY is it like this, and WHERE in the book does it ever explain how this works? I know how to apply the enchantments now but I don't understand it, perhaps it's just me. An explanation on why I need to do math for this would be greatly appreciated.

The price for weapon enchantment is 2000*(total bonus)^2, so +1 weapon would cost 2000*1^2 = 2000, +2 weapon would cost 2000*2^2 = 8000 and so on.

The price for adding enchantments is simply a difference between old version and new version of weapon: if you want to add +1 special quality on +2 weapon, it becomes +3 weapon, so you need to pay the price of +3 weapon (18000) minus the price of +2 weapon you already had (8000) for a result of 10000. The formula you listed is simply another way to say it. And it makes sense - it costs you the same to sell your old weapon for full price and buy new weapon.

While I'm at it, I do have one more question. In the book it says: "Magic weapons have an enchantment bonus of +1 to +5. They apply these bonuses to both attack and damage rolls in combat, but their masterwork bonuses do not stack with enchantment bonuses."

So if I create a +3 Vorpal Longsword, that's technically a +8 weapon right? But those values aren't supposed to stack? I'm confused xD

About stacking values - all masterwork weapons add +1 to attack rolls. Every magical weapon is masterwork. But +1 weapon adds +1 total to attack rolls, not +1 from being magical and +1 for being masterwork, that's what is clarified here.

And +3 Vorpal longsword adds only +3 to attack and damage rolls - Vorpal is +5 equivalent enchantment which has its effect instead of giving you +5 on these rolls

Sparklepaws
2015-05-14, 10:19 AM
The price for adding enchantments is simply a difference between old version and new version of weapon: if you want to add +1 special quality on +2 weapon, it becomes +3 weapon, so you need to pay the price of +3 weapon (18000) minus the price of +2 weapon you already had (8000) for a result of 10000. The formula you listed is simply another way to say it. And it makes sense - it costs you the same to sell your old weapon for full price and buy new weapon.

This was SO HELPFUL, it put things into perspective. I didn't think of it that way but it makes perfect sense now.

And +3 Vorpal longsword adds only +3 to attack and damage rolls - Vorpal is +5 equivalent enchantment which has its effect instead of giving you +5 on these rolls

Again, this also makes a lot of sense. I wasn't thinking of the bonuses as representations of values. I expected them to be actual values, and I also misread the book when it was talking about this particular thing ("Enchantment" and "Enhancement" look so much alike when you're speed reading...)

I still feel like this should have been clarified a little more in the book, it's easy to look at table 15-8 and say, "Oh, I have 10,000 GP so I can afford 5 +1 enchantments!"

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some players' day to ruin (They're going to miss that +2 Keen Dagger of Flaming Frost Returning)

Dgrin
2015-05-14, 10:29 AM
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of this

You are welcome! By the way, if you have more rules relevant questions, I highly recommend this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414719-Simple-Q-amp-A-by-RAW-for-Pathfinder-4) in 3e subforum - it was created just for such questions and you can receive answers from more competent folk than I am :smallwink:

Have fun with your game!