PDA

View Full Version : Scout Skirmish Question

Galvin
2015-05-14, 02:27 PM
Hey GITP

Does anyone happen to know if the the Scout's skirmish ability (extra damage if the Scout moves 10 or more feet in a round) applies if the Scout is mounted? The text for skirmish only says "[the scout] deals an extra xd6 points of damage on all attacks the scout makes during any round in which they moves at least 10 feet."

My interpretation is if the scout physically moves from two points 10 or more feet apart, evening if they weren't using their own legs to do it, it would still count. Is my interpretation correct, or does the movement have to come from the Scout's own pool?

Troacctid
2015-05-14, 02:29 PM
The errata for Complete Adventurer adds that skirmish does not count your mount's movement.

TIPOT
2015-05-14, 02:38 PM
By the errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) while you can't use it while mounted, nothing states that the movement wouldn't count so if you dismount after moving you should technically be able to skirmish.

Or you could just ask the DM for leniency, it's not exactly game breaking to allow it. There's a scout variant in dragon which is more cavalry oriented as well.

Flickerdart
2015-05-14, 03:24 PM
The scout has to move under his own power, but there are no rules that this movement must come from his "pool" of anything. If you have a mount, you could fast-mount on one side and fast-dismount on the other side, thereby moving 15 feet as a free action by vaulting your horse.

Curmudgeon
2015-05-14, 08:32 PM
If you have a mount, you could fast-mount on one side and fast-dismount on the other side, thereby moving 15 feet as a free action by vaulting your horse.
Your main point is fine, but this is actually two actions with a Ride check each time, giving two chances to fail.
If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action.

WeaselGuy
2015-05-14, 08:42 PM
Your main point is fine, but this is actually two actions with a Ride check each time, giving two chances to fail.

Halfling Outrider has a Leap from the Saddle ability. Might help you out.

Flickerdart
2015-05-14, 10:15 PM
It's my assumption that anyone trying this has done the utterly trivial Ride check optimization necessary to never fail.

Halfling Outrider has a Leap from the Saddle ability. Might help you out.
Infinite attacks per round, always fun.

WeaselGuy
2015-05-14, 10:19 PM
Infinite attacks per round, always fun.

So, I'll be honest, I was too lazy to actually open Complete Warrior. Elaborate on this "infinite attacks per round" you mention....

dextercorvia
2015-05-14, 10:38 PM
So, I'll be honest, I was too lazy to actually open Complete Warrior. Elaborate on this "infinite attacks per round" you mention....

They get a free attack on a dismount.

Twurps
2015-05-15, 02:01 AM
They get a free attack on a dismount.

That's only half the explanation. So dismount is a free action, halfling outrider gives an attack from a free action. But for an infinite (Or, as I've recently learned: Arbitrarily high, but finite) number of attacks, that would mean the mounting has to be free to. I would expect mounting to be a move action but admittedly haven't done the book-delving to be sure.

dextercorvia
2015-05-15, 02:07 AM
That's only half the explanation. So dismount is a free action, halfling outrider gives an attack from a free action. But for an infinite (Or, as I've recently learned: Arbitrarily high, but finite) number of attacks, that would mean the mounting has to be free to. I would expect mounting to be a move action but admittedly haven't done the book-delving to be sure.

I understand. It's a pretty obscure source. :smallbiggrin:

Fast Mount or Dismount

You can attempt to mount or dismount from a mount of up to one size category larger than yourself as a free action, provided that you still have a move action available that round. If you fail the Ride check, mounting or dismounting is a move action. You can’t use fast mount or dismount on a mount more than one size category larger than yourself.

Twurps
2015-05-15, 07:08 AM
I understand. It's a pretty obscure source. :smallbiggrin:

*note to self: don't post without at least a little bit of book delving :D*

So mounting and riding dog multiple times in a round is free, but getting up from prone takes a move action. Who would've guessed. Well, that's 3.5 for you.. Still a neat trick. though it's never going to fly with my DM, even without the free attack.

dextercorvia
2015-05-15, 08:14 AM
*note to self: don't post without at least a little bit of book delving :D*

So mounting and riding dog multiple times in a round is free, but getting up from prone takes a move action. Who would've guessed. Well, that's 3.5 for you.. Still a neat trick. though it's never going to fly with my DM, even without the free attack.

Well, you might be able to get from prone to on a mount as free action. You might still be prone on the mount, then. Same when you dismount.

Andezzar
2015-05-15, 08:49 AM
Your main point is fine, but this is actually two actions with a Ride check each time, giving two chances to fail.DC 20 with ACP is not that low but it's definitely possible to get an autosuccess on that.

The number of attacks however is not arbitrarily high per se. It is only arbitrarily high if the DM does not impose a limit on the number of Free Actions per turn, which he is explicitly allowed to do.