PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Lich builds

Yogel
2015-05-14, 02:30 PM
Hey there, Need help on a badass build for a lich boss I'm planning on having the party fight.

This guy is a drow who is an acolyte to a new upcoming god. I'll need him to be level 20. Themed spells/abilities would need to be based around laughter/insanity/confusion/control. Lets stay away from the dragon magazine material, other than that I've got no issue with most splat books. Let's see what you can do!

Ellowryn
2015-05-14, 04:30 PM
Sounds like an enchanter wizard (i assume by control you mean like dominate person) or a cleric with some domains that give the equivalent.

Question though before launching into a build, are your players going to have Mind Blank up on everyone or be immune to mind-affecting abilities due to class/race/etc? If so you might have to invest in some dispelling for your BBEG or have a minion do it, otherwise all he is going to do is dance and wave his hands around without being much of a threat.

Galvin
2015-05-14, 05:05 PM
Sounds like an enchanter wizard (i assume by control you mean like dominate person) or a cleric with some domains that give the equivalent.

Question though before launching into a build, are your players going to have Mind Blank up on everyone or be immune to mind-affecting abilities due to class/race/etc? If so you might have to invest in some dispelling for your BBEG or have a minion do it, otherwise all he is going to do is dance and wave his hands around without being much of a threat.

The issue with an enchanter wizard would be that any level 20 party worth their salt could easily have/produce immunity to mind-effecting spells and effects (Mind Blank, etc.), making the entire specialization of the lich null when fighting his primary adversaries, the PCs.

I would definitely look into the Book of Vile Darkness for character ideas.

Alternatively, you could make a level 20 pure Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) because the capstone of that class is becoming a lich, which would allow you to circumnavigate the level adjustment of the Lich template and get more class levels than you could with other classes.

Hope that helped.

Chester
2015-05-14, 06:14 PM
Dread Necromancer 20 with plenty of Awakened Undead at his disposal?

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-14, 07:16 PM
There is a suggested adaptation for Nightmare Spinner, which changes the class to be about enchantments, with suggested abilities "to allow him to charm or dominate creatures that are usually immune to such spells."

That's the closest thing I know of, of a way to overcome the enchantment problem. But I don't know very much about that, so yeah. Either way, a lich with nightmare spinner and dread witch is pretty nice, add Imperious Command and some other fear stuff, and go to town. Maybe buff the fear aura a bit (after all, you are the DM, and if you decide that a lich's fear aura is different than the MM says, it is).

Andezzar
2015-05-15, 12:47 AM
Alternatively, you could make a level 20 pure Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) because the capstone of that class is becoming a lich, which would allow you to circumnavigate the level adjustment of the Lich template and get more class levels than you could with other classes.There is no such rule that LA can be ignored if a template is gained through a class, but whether or not such a waiver exists is irrelevant because LA is a property that only applies to PCs. For an NPC lich you only have to take the CR adjustment into account.

Why must the character be a lich? Lichdom does not immediately spring to mind as a goal for a character focusing on laughter/insanity/confusion/control. He could also take another route to become effectively immortal.

EugeneVoid
2015-05-15, 01:24 AM
Dry lich es mi favorito, jaja.

Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm is only for divines tho (Or Alternate Source Spell Metamagic Spell thing from Dragon something?)