PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Price Check (custom item)

Thurbane
2015-05-14, 03:42 PM
Hey all,

I need a price check on a custom magic item (I'm the DM, so I'm just confirming if I'm using the following guidelines correctly).

FIGHTING TROUSERS
Slotless item.
+1 deflection bonus to AC (constant).
Use the Heroics spell 1/day on self (CL 3rd).

I calculate that as 4000gp (slotless +1 deflection to AC) plus (3 * 2 * 1800 / 5) 2160gp = 6160gp.

If the Heroics was usable 3/day it would be 10480gp.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that for items with multiple effects, the cheaper effect is at a reduced rate?

Cheers - T

Flickerdart
2015-05-14, 03:48 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that for items with multiple effects, the cheaper effect is at a reduced rate?
It's the opposite - stacking multiple effects into one slot costs 50% more for all but the most expensive effect. Since the item you are making is slotless, there is no reason to have it be the same item.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-14, 04:33 PM
Sort of. For items that occupy a space on a character's body the price of multiple effects is increased. For items that do not occupy a space the price of multiple similar abilities may be reduced. The sidebar on DMG page 282 explains this, the most expensive ability is at full price, the next most expensive ability is at 75%, and all other effects are at 50% cost.

However, every effect on that item is at double cost from the start for it being slotless, so the Heroics effect is actually (3 * 2 * 2 * 1800/5) * 0.75 = 3240 gp, for a total cost of 7240 gp.

Edit: That's assuming you can justify counting a +1 Deflection and a 1/day Heroics to be similar effects, of course.

Edit 2: According to MIC p234, you can add a Deflection bonus to AC to an existing ring, shoulder, or body (armor) slot item for the same price as buying a Ring of Protection of the same bonus, bypassing the 50% markup for additional effects on a slotted item.

Douglas
2015-05-14, 04:43 PM
Edit: That's assuming you can justify counting a +1 Deflection and a 1/day Heroics to be similar effects, of course.
The book doesn't explicitly define "similar", but looking at the examples and reasoning I think it's pretty clear that what they really meant was "mutually exclusive". Two abilities count as similar and get a price reduction if it's not possible to get full benefit from both abilities at once, with the most common way to qualify being charged abilities that use the same pool of charges.

gorfnab
2015-05-15, 01:28 AM
Now all you need is a Shirt with +1 Natural Armor and Cure Moderate Wounds 1/day. That way you can have your red shirt and your brown pants. :smalltongue:

Although now your item does give me ideas for where to put spotless items since pants/legs are not really considered a magic item slot.

Thurbane
2015-07-10, 07:41 PM
I hope this isn't old enough to be considered necromancy...

Need a price check on another item. This one is a little harder to define than the last one.

Goblet of Glory

Once/day, when this goblet is filled with a non-magical liquid a drunk from, it grants a +6 enhancement bonus to one of the users abilitiy scores, determined randomly: 1. Strength, 2. Dexterity, 3. Constitution, 4. Intelligence, 5. Wisdom and 6. Charisma. The effect lasts for 1 hour.

Morcleon
2015-07-11, 10:41 AM
Goblet of Glory

Once/day, when this goblet is filled with a non-magical liquid a drunk from, it grants a +6 enhancement bonus to one of the users abilitiy scores, determined randomly: 1. Strength, 2. Dexterity, 3. Constitution, 4. Intelligence, 5. Wisdom and 6. Charisma. The effect lasts for 1 hour.

The base price for a +6 enhancement bonus to a stat is 36000. 1/day instead of continuous is 20% of the price, for 7200. And since it's random (and only for 1 hour) and thus not always guaranteed to be useful for a given character, I'd drop it down to about 4000.

Thurbane
2015-07-11, 06:45 PM
The base price for a +6 enhancement bonus to a stat is 36000. 1/day instead of continuous is 20% of the price, for 7200. And since it's random (and only for 1 hour) and thus not always guaranteed to be useful for a given character, I'd drop it down to about 4000.

Sounds good, I'll run with that. Many thanks. :smallsmile:

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-12, 12:45 AM
Any chance the name was inspired by this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk)?

Thurbane
2015-07-13, 02:32 AM
Any chance the name was inspired by this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk)?

Indeed :smallwink: