PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Rage Mage (PEACH)

Scarce
2015-05-14, 08:19 PM
Please tear up my Rage Mage! I'm concerned that it might be too strong. I modeled the mechanics of the path off the Eldritch Knight (obviously). Major changes include using Strength as a casting stat, limiting the Rage Mage to using evocation and necromancy, and only allowing them to cast spells while in a rage. Hopefully, this keeps it from being too powerful -- what do you think?

Path of the Rage Mage

Few things are more terrifying than being in the path of a rage mage. Those who follow this path unlock something deep within them, a well of arcane power fueled from the depths of their fury. When a rage mage unleashes his rage, he channels his brute strength into primal eldritch might and uses it to devastate his foes in a hail of fire, blades, and blood.

Spell Rage
Beginning at third level, you can cast spells while in a rage, as long as the spell’s casting time is no more than 1 action, the spell does not require concentration, and you are wearing no armor. Your rage damage applies only to damage from spells cast in a rage. If a spell cast damages more than one target, you may only apply extra rage damage to one of the targets. In addition, casting spells during rage counts as attacking for the purposes of ending rage. See chapter 10 for the general rules of spellcasting and chapter 11 for the wizard spell list.
Spell Slots. The Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must be in a rage and expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the evocation and necromancy spells on the wizard spell list. The Spells Known column of the Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows when you learn more wizard spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an evocation or necromancy spell of your choice, and must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Spellcasting Ability. Strength is your spellcasting ability for your wizard spells. You use your Strength whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Strength modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier

Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier.

Spell Fury
Beginning at 6th level, weapons and magic are equally an extension of your rage. When you attack recklessly, you can choose not to take advantage on your attack and attack only once with your attack action to cast a spell as a bonus action. This spell must use a spell slot of the lowest level you have available.

Arcane Resistance
As your rage boils in your blood, it disrupts the flow of magical energy around you. At 10th level, while raging, you have advantage on all saving throws against spells.

Eldritch Storm
You can expel the might of your rage all at once to unleash a devastating storm of eldritch magic. Beginning at fourteenth level, when you can end your rage early as an action, all creatures within 15 feet of you must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 1d6 force damage for each round you've spent in rage, or half as much on a successful one.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-14, 08:38 PM
What was the previous casting stat for the Rage Mage? I feel that Constitution is a bit more evocative, and keeps the Rage Mage from being so SAD.

I think transmutation could be an interesting school to look at as well, as a rage is not only an evocation of emotional power, but a process of transformation into that state. (Fluff-wise, anyway). I think it fits more thematically than Necromancy.

I'm just imagining a goofy state of affairs where a 15th-level (or w/e level barbarians get perma-rage) just stands around raging for a few hours and then nukes everything within 15 feet. Probably should have a cap on that duration.

Wake up at 6 am, enter your rage. You're ambushed around noon, you decide to casually end your rage, rolling... 3600d6? (1d6/round * 10 rounds/minute * 60 minutes/hour * 6 hours) A modest amount of damage to say the least.

Scarce
2015-05-15, 01:03 AM
What was the previous casting stat for the Rage Mage? I feel that Constitution is a bit more evocative, and keeps the Rage Mage from being so SAD.

Really? I considered that pretty heavily, and because barbarians get Con to AC, I decided to go with Strength (but this can be changed, if I'm swayed by an argument). It was a little more clear cut in 3.5, when barbarians also got Con as the duration of their rage, but now I'm not sure which makes them more SAD. I'm open to switching it to a different ability stat for casting.

I think transmutation could be an interesting school to look at as well, as a rage is not only an evocation of emotional power, but a process of transformation into that state. (Fluff-wise, anyway). I think it fits more thematically than Necromancy.

I thought about that, but core 1st level transmutation spells from the Wizard list are Jump, Feather Fall, Longstrider and Expeditious Retreat. Are these more flavorful than the necromancy spells False Life and Ray of Sickness?

Probably should have a cap on that duration.

Totally agree. There are two caps on the 5e barbarian's rage: it ends after 1 minute, and it ends early if you do not attack (or cast a spell, in this case) or take damage for 1 round.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-15, 03:54 AM
Really? I considered that pretty heavily, and because barbarians get Con to AC, I decided to go with Strength (but this can be changed, if I'm swayed by an argument). It was a little more clear cut in 3.5, when barbarians also got Con as the duration of their rage, but now I'm not sure which makes them more SAD. I'm open to switching it to a different ability stat for casting.

Oh true, I completely missed that -x- However, I think Constitution is a safer choice because although it adds to their defensive abilities as well, it doesn't help them re:concentration (currently with how the path is at any rate), and it doesn't improve the output of their physical attacks as well. I also like Wisdom as a Barbarian score for casting.

I thought about that, but core 1st level transmutation spells from the Wizard list are Jump, Feather Fall, Longstrider and Expeditious Retreat. Are these more flavorful than the necromancy spells False Life and Ray of Sickness?

Possibly a knock against Transmutation, but currently the Rage Mage can only cast two of those (Jump and Longstrider, the first of which is kinda awesome on a barbarian tbh). And since it exists, I think it's worth noting the EE additions as well... Catapault and nothing for necromancy ;D

Though this also brings me to wonder if it's not just better to have access to the Druid spell list? Or just possibly choose spells differently? I dunno, the necromancy just doesn't seem appropriate. However, a significant portion of the best transmutation spells require concentration, so. :\

Totally agree. There are two caps on the 5e barbarian's rage: it ends after 1 minute, and it ends early if you do not attack (or cast a spell, in this case) or take damage for 1 round.
Until you reach 15th level, when the two conditions become "unconscious" and "when you feel like it."

Persistent Rage
Beginning at 15th level, your rage is so fierce that it ends early only if you fall unconscious or if you choose to end it.

Scarce
2015-05-15, 04:44 AM
Oh true, I completely missed that -x- However, I think Constitution is a safer choice because although it adds to their defensive abilities as well, it doesn't help them re:concentration (currently with how the path is at any rate), and it doesn't improve the output of their physical attacks as well. I also like Wisdom as a Barbarian score for casting.

I could be persuaded to go with wisdom. It adds a bit of shaman to the class, which I like.

Though this also brings me to wonder if it's not just better to have access to the Druid spell list? Or just possibly choose spells differently? I dunno, the necromancy just doesn't seem appropriate. However, a significant portion of the best transmutation spells require concentration, so. :\

Yeah, it's a tough decision. I went with evocation and necromancy from the wizard list so as to keep it close to the eldritch knight, and thus limit my silly mistakes. I also considered using druid spells, but I never really fell in love with the 1st level spells for this class. I imagine the Rage Mage throwing fire and lightning around like a pumped-up Dragonball Z character in a terrifying eldritch frenzy. Not.. entangling people or eating goodberries. I suppose there's faerie fire and thunderwave, but I'm only losing faerie fire by going with the wizard list.

Until you reach 15th level, when the two conditions become "unconscious" and "when you feel like it."

Drat, I'm a total dummy for missing that ability. But that ability doesn't make the rage last forever, right? I read it to mean, rages still last 1 minute, but don't end earlier than that unless you choose to end them. Theoretically, one could still wander around the countryside, exploding all over the place every 60 seconds when you reach 20th level, however. I'll amend that to once per short or long rest.

SonsOfSauron
2015-05-15, 04:58 AM
Yeah, it's a tough decision. I went with evocation and necromancy from the wizard list so as to keep it close to the eldritch knight, and thus limit my silly mistakes. I also considered using druid spells, but I never really fell in love with the 1st level spells for this class. I imagine the Rage Mage throwing fire and lightning around like a pumped-up Dragonball Z character in a terrifying eldritch frenzy. Not.. entangling people or eating goodberries. I suppose there's faerie fire and thunderwave, but I'm only losing faerie fire by going with the wizard list.

True, true. If we wanted to make some of the concentration-requiring transmutation spells at least possible, could a cumulative chance of falling out of the rage early work for any concentration spells you cast? like 10% chance every round you maintain concentration that your rage and spell just ends, idk.

Drat, I'm a total dummy for missing that ability. But that ability doesn't make the rage last forever, right? I read it to mean, rages still last 1 minute, but don't end earlier than that unless you choose to end them. Theoretically, one could still wander around the countryside, exploding all over the place every 60 seconds when you reach 20th level, however. I'll amend that to once per short or long rest.

Oh yeah, I guess it is worded "ends early." Okay that makes things a lot less ridiculous lmao, but yeah, you could make a lot of craters in your down time if you wanted as worded ;D

Scarce
2015-05-16, 08:32 PM
PDF of this class is up!

Find it here (http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/05/rage-mage.html).