PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is this broken by RAW?

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-15, 12:19 AM
I recently stumbled upon the Goz Mask (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Goz%20Mask), and had to do a double take. I realise that RAI it is supposed to grant bonuses against wind effects, but reading this it seems that RAW it treats you as one size category larger for everything, not just wind.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-15, 12:22 AM
Relevant text:

Additionally, you are treated as one size category larger than you are and gain a +4 bonus on all saving throws made to resist the effects of wind while wearing a goz mask.
I parse that as [you are treated as one size category larger than you are (and gain a +4 bonus on all saving throws made) to resist the effects of wind while wearing a goz mask]. To me, it reads as if the size increase is for wind effects only; it would be better written as "You gain a +4 bonus on all saving throws, and are treated as one size larger than you are, for the purposes of resisting the effects of wind".

Eldaran
2015-05-15, 01:20 AM
Yeah, the size category thing is all part of the same sentence.

The item is still amazingly good/possibly broken for using in fog clouds, smoke bombs, and the like for unbeatable invisibility basically.

Necroticplague
2015-05-15, 01:34 AM
Things like this are why I think the english language needs an equivalent to the mathematical use of parenthesis to group objects. Because how exactly it works depends on which of these you think of it as:

Additionally, you [are treated as one size category larger than you are] and gain a [+4 bonus on all saving throws made to resist the effects of wind] while wearing a goz mask.
vs.
Additionally, you [are treated as one size category larger than you are and gain a +4 bonus on all saving throws made] to resist the effects of wind while wearing a goz mask.

Though, I would say that the fluff justification for it essentially being Powerful Build is readily available: the item renders you more stable, thus helping you avoid being moved in all its myriad forms (whether tripped, shoved, grabbbed, ect.), which has a side effect of making it easier to move others in similar ways, while also letting you leverage yourself to hold a larger weapon.