PDA

View Full Version : specialty crossbow bolts

Yaitanos
2015-05-15, 02:56 AM
So, are there any special crossbow bolts like there are special arrows? Preferably something that delivers chemicals or something like that.

paranoidbox
2015-05-15, 06:44 AM
I'm currently playing a kind of crossbow sniper so I have looked through a lot of the books to find just that. The problem is I haven't noted down any of the sources, so... at least it might make your google searches a bit easier? :smallcool:

Leaving aside the crossbow bolts that are made out of adamtine or cold iron or whatever, there's the Exploding Bolt (5' radius, 2D12 damage, RefHalf DC 20 for target, DC 15 for adjacent). I think that one is from a Dragon Magazine though, so it might not be allowed.
There's also the Splintering Bolt which inflicts 1D6 damage in a 30' cone (RefHalf DC 15). Again, I think that's Dragon Magazine.
A&E has this thing, IIRC, called a Shatterbolt, which has a crit range of 18-20 and a x3 crit modifier. It's great, I love using that one.
A Sniper's bolt adds some range, but I don't even know where I read about that one. And the Tumbling Bolt only allows the target to use half his Dex modifier to AC (I think it was updated from A&E where it inflicted +2 damage).

Not entirely what you were asking, because you wanted Alchemical Bolts more like, but some of these at the very least could be useful to you, I hope.

Seruvius
2015-05-15, 07:15 AM
Well first of all I would suggest talking to the Gm about just allowing equivalent versions of the arrows in bolt form, failing that here is a little list of ones i can think of/find.

first some interesting ammo enhancements(not a complete list but a nice start):
- the exploding ammo quality mentioned by paranoidbox, Complete Warrior Pg. 134
- Knockback from Complete warrior Pg. 135. basically gives you bullrush attempts on hit enemies, maybe knocking them back. mostly hilarious around cliffs/lava pits etc.
- Exit wounds (again complete warrior, Pg. 134), extra damage and lets you mimic the feat penetrating shot. if the enemies line up nicely you can damage a decent number of them.
- (greater)dispelling (magic item compendium, Pg 33). targeted ranged debufs? yes please.
- Magebane (magic item compendium Pg 38) mentioned for its general usefulness. anything casting arcane spell or that has an arcane spell like ability is affected so always great to have.

Specific bolts, (rather than enhancements):
- Bolt of biting (magic item compendium Pg 46.) expensive for what ti does, with a weak DC on the poison. better to go down crafting poison route imo.
- Fountainhead Bolt (magic item compendium Pg 52). Hit a flat surface and create a geyser of acid with 10 foot radius. Good general use as it lasts for 3 rounds and the acid can eat through a lot of stuff and better if you can keep the enemies stuck in its area.

And one thing i can always suggest for crossbows cause i love it. Gnome sights. yes its 3.0, but for crossbows a lot of the fun stuff wasn't reprinted for 3.5 for one reason or another. costs 150 GP, and is effectively a sniper scope, allowing you to ignore the first 2 range increments. Makes for a great sniping, and as it does work on hand crossbows makes for some decent range on those little babies. 360 ft range with no penalties on a heavy crossbow? and a 90 foot range on hand crossbows? yes please.

Hope that helped =)

Yaitanos
2015-05-15, 10:01 AM
I like a lot of the things you mentioned, but I'm thinking of doing this without magic, at least on the weapon. Hard to prevent sneak attack in an anti magic field.

paranoidbox
2015-05-15, 05:43 PM
And one thing i can always suggest for crossbows cause i love it. Gnome sights. yes its 3.0, but for crossbows a lot of the fun stuff wasn't reprinted for 3.5 for one reason or another. costs 150 GP, and is effectively a sniper scope, allowing you to ignore the first 2 range increments. Makes for a great sniping, and as it does work on hand crossbows makes for some decent range on those little babies. 360 ft range with no penalties on a heavy crossbow? and a 90 foot range on hand crossbows? yes please.

Oh yes, dat gnome crossbow sight. You have to have that, it's the best.

General Sajaru
2015-05-15, 11:27 PM
I like a lot of the things you mentioned, but I'm thinking of doing this without magic, at least on the weapon. Hard to prevent sneak attack in an anti magic field.

Although a crossbow, even at sneak attack distance, should put you outside of most antimagic fields. Also, while the class is pretty terrible, Order of the Bow Initiate doubles your sneak attack range at level 10; I can't recall if there's a better way to get that class feature.

WeaselGuy
2015-05-16, 01:19 AM
Although a crossbow, even at sneak attack distance, should put you outside of most antimagic fields. Also, while the class is pretty terrible, Order of the Bow Initiate doubles your sneak attack range at level 10; I can't recall if there's a better way to get that class feature.

Pretty sure the Crossbow Sniper (PHBII) feat lets you sneak attack at 60ft (along with adding half dex-mod to damage) with a crossbow. Combine with Hand Crossbow Focus (gives Weapon Focus and Rapid Reload for Hand Crossbows) and a Hand Crossbow with Gnomish Crossbow Sights, and you can plink away with reckless abandon.

Yaitanos
2015-05-16, 02:54 AM
I know all the ways to get more range on a crossbow, I'm looking for more things to load into my crossbow. Like a stone bolt filled with green slime. That would be hilarious.

Seruvius
2015-05-16, 04:40 PM
Well most of the fancy ammunition is bow specific, but as I said earlier you could just ask the Dm to houserule that equivalent versions of mundane special arrows exist in bolt form. My favourite recommendations then would be Razorfeather ammunition.
These are not acutally sold anywhere per se but the feathers to make thema re each worth 50Gp and applying standard crafting rules you end up with 150gp per arrow. They are made from the feathers of Steelwing's, CR 14 Extraplanar birds from Acheron (MM5, pg 168). The arrows crafted from its feathers are considered Keen, Masterwork and Adamantine, but are non-magical.

Slightly less exciting, but also not requiring a quest to another plane to get are these guys (all originally arrows, but as i said, just have them refluffed):
- Alchemists arrow fire (arms and equipment guide) and frost (dragon magazine). Both cost 1500 Gp for 20. The fire ones are basic arrows(or in your case bolts) that also deal 1d4 fire damage every turn as the target is on fire, unless they take a full round action and pass a dc 15 reflex save to put themselves out. Pricy, but nice.
The ice ones are a bit of a let down. they deal damage as icf they were a weapon 2 size categories smaller, an extra d4 frost and then that's it, but nice for the damage type i guess.
- Blunt arrows (races of the wild). these arrows deal bludgeoning and subdual damage, so good for taking prisoners. I persoannly like to pretend they are a big boxing glove on a stick =P.
-Dragonsbreath arrow (Races of the wild) 50gold for 20, deal 1 size category less damage and enemy is set on fire if they fail a dc15 reflex save. a downgraded version of the alchemists arrows but affordable for a low level character.
-Flight arrow ( arms and equipment guide). increases ther ange increment of your weapon by 25 feet. nice for longe range,e specially if you use this in bolt form with the gnome sights.
- Serpentstongue arrow (Races of the wild) 3gold for 20 and it lets you sunder from ranged and ignore hardness of 5 or less. also deals piercing and slashing damage for some reason. cool for say cutting ropes i guess.
- Thundering arrow (40gp for 20, Arms and equipment) deals 0 damage but functions as a Thunderstone on a hit.
There are more but this along with the others i listed should help =)

Ettina
2015-05-16, 06:56 PM
Can't you just coat your bolts in poison? There is a rather nice selection of poisons out there.

Yaitanos
2015-06-14, 01:37 PM
Can't you just coat your bolts in poison? There is a rather nice selection of poisons out there.
Poison is nice, but not what I'm looking for. Poison isn't a sure thing and there are lots of ways to protect yourself from it. Not many people expect a crossbow bolts to be filled with shrunken flasks of alchemical boom.

Dunsparce
2015-06-14, 02:06 PM
I'm currently playing a kind of crossbow sniper so I have looked through a lot of the books to find just that. The problem is I haven't noted down any of the sources, so... at least it might make your google searches a bit easier? :smallcool:

Leaving aside the crossbow bolts that are made out of adamtine or cold iron or whatever, there's the Exploding Bolt (5' radius, 2D12 damage, RefHalf DC 20 for target, DC 15 for adjacent). I think that one is from a Dragon Magazine though, so it might not be allowed.
There's also the Splintering Bolt which inflicts 1D6 damage in a 30' cone (RefHalf DC 15). Again, I think that's Dragon Magazine.
A&E has this thing, IIRC, called a Shatterbolt, which has a crit range of 18-20 and a x3 crit modifier. It's great, I love using that one.
A Sniper's bolt adds some range, but I don't even know where I read about that one. And the Tumbling Bolt only allows the target to use half his Dex modifier to AC (I think it was updated from A&E where it inflicted +2 damage).

Not entirely what you were asking, because you wanted Alchemical Bolts more like, but some of these at the very least could be useful to you, I hope.

May I ask what issue(s) the exploding and splintering bolts are from?

paranoidbox
2015-06-14, 04:28 PM
May I ask what issue(s) the exploding and splintering bolts are from?

Sure! I looked them up again, the exploding bolt is from Dragon Magazine 348 (p.87) and the splintering bolt is from issue 349 (p.22).