PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dragonborn elf

Shnigda
2015-05-15, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,
I'm currently making an grey elf character that has gone through the rite of rebirth to become a dragonborn.
However, I'm not 100% sure of what abilities are carried over from being an elf and which ones are lost.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Red Fel
2015-05-15, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,
I'm currently making an grey elf character that has gone through the rite of rebirth to become a dragonborn.
However, I'm not 100% sure of what abilities are carried over from being an elf and which ones are lost.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Alrighty. Well, let's look at the list again. Races of the Dragon, under the Mechanics of Rebirth sidebar, explicitly states what is retained; everything else is lost. What is retained: Type, subtype, and race Racial HD, if any Racial ability modifiers Size Speed and movement modes Languages Favored class LAAnd that's it. Anything not listed is lost.

Now let's look at what a Gray (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#grayElf) Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm) gets: Humanoid (Elf). Keep that, and add (Dragonblood) subtype. Ability modifiers: Keep those, and add Dragonborn modifiers. Size and speed: Keep those. Elven immunities: Lose them. Low-light vision: Lose it. Weapon proficiencies: Lose them. Skill bonuses: Lose them. Concealed door sense: Lose it. Languages: Keep them, and add Draconic. Favored class: Keep it, and add Paladin.Then you add your Dragonborn traits and aspect.

Make sense?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-15, 10:39 AM
See Races of the Dragon page 10, The Mechanics of Rebirth. You basically keep your speed, size, type and subtypes, level adjustment, and ability score adjustments, but lose everything else.

You're a medium-size Dragonborn with a 30 ft. land speed, Str -2, Int +2, and you're a Humanoid (Elf, Dragonblood), plus all the general Dragonborn traits. You have both Fighter and Wizard as favored classes, and you speak Common, Draconic, and Elven, plus bonus languages.

Shnigda
2015-05-15, 10:39 AM
That makes sense, thank you!
(Never dabbled with templates or dragonborn before, so was unsure what exactly to do)

Darrin
2015-05-15, 12:01 PM
Favored class: Keep it, and add Paladin.

Fighter, actually. Dragonborn Paladin is more of a 4E thing.

There's an additional option to pick up another dragonblood-related feat. Check out the "Special" note in Races of the Dragon at the bottom of page 10. It won't work with your elven racial feats, but if you have an existing feat that you got via class levels that isn't doing much for you, you can swap it for either Dragon Tail or Dragon Wings.

Red Fel
2015-05-15, 12:23 PM
Fighter, actually. Dragonborn Paladin is more of a 4E thing.

Whoops, you're right, Fighter. Worth noting, however, that the Dragonborn can freely multiclass to and from Paladin.