PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Auspicious Mark vs a rolled 1

Draco_Lord
2015-05-15, 10:38 AM
This is a quick question, and one made more out of curiosity. But if a barbarian rolls a 1, can they then use auspicious mark to make that 1 not be a 1 anymore?

As a DM, I would personally say no. As a player, I obviously want the answer to be yes. So just thought I would ask more people about what they think.

Ilorin Lorati
2015-05-15, 10:45 AM
If you're talking about the natural roll, no - the d20 will still be 1.

Draco_Lord
2015-05-15, 10:49 AM
If you're talking about the natural roll, no - the d20 will still be 1.

I am, and my argument against that would because of this.

Benefit: The barbarian has been marked by the spirits, as indicated by an impressive tattoo, scar, or birthmark she possesses. Once per rage, as a swift action that costs 2 rounds of rage, the barbarian can call upon the spirits’ favor. Using auspicious mark grants her a +1d6 bonus on one d20 roll she has just made. She can call on the auspicious mark after seeing the result of the d20 roll.

It adds to it, and thus alters the effect of the dice, and can use it after seeing the results of the d20. Nothing about calling before the results are decided.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-05-15, 10:55 AM
No matter how high your bonus is, you still rolled a 1, and that supersedes any bonuses you might have. Unless you have that mythic ability where you don't auto-miss on a 1.

Red Fel
2015-05-15, 11:24 AM
No matter how high your bonus is, you still rolled a 1, and that supersedes any bonuses you might have. Unless you have that mythic ability where you don't auto-miss on a 1.

This. According to Pathfinder rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Attack-Roll), "A natural 1 (the d20 comes up 1) on an attack roll is always a miss." The fact that you add a subsequent 1d6 to the roll doesn't change the fact that the die, when it rolled, came up a 1. It is an automatic miss, even though you later increased it.

Save the 1d6 for the near-misses, not the auto-misses.