PDA

View Full Version : Could this work?

TheTacoBandit
2015-05-15, 03:42 PM
My D&D group includes Me, my brother, and my two friends. Because of the small size of our group we only ever have 3 people playing because someone has to DM. Sometime in the distant future we want to challenge the Tarrasque once we are all high level but its possible that since we only have 3 people playing at any given time we will be short handed. The party consists of Me, A damage based Half-Orc Barbarian who can hit very hard, My brother who is a Elf Ranger who got very good rolls but my brother is 11 and also terrible at D&D, and my two friends, one of which is a try-hard with 5 different characters. Three of which he cast aside after discovering Mountain Dwarf Warlocks and Mountain Dwarf Paladins he then proceeded to Meta-Build. My second friend is a Human Monk and is also very try-hardy at the game. So my point being with 3 of us playing would we be able to defeat a Tarrasque, at if so at what level would we have to be?

Ardantis
2015-05-15, 04:25 PM
I have no idea.

Help?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-15, 04:54 PM
Purely based on the challenge rating guidelines in the DMG*, a Tarrasque (155,000XP) would be a 'deadly' challenge for 3 PCs at any level. You would need 7no level 20 PCs or 8no level 19 PCs before it drops to a 'hard' challenge. Note that 'deadly' does not mean 'impossible'; I would fully expect 6no level 20 PCs to win 9 times out of 10, based on the DMG guidelines.

* Which should be calibrated to players of average skill level.

In practice, I have heard several people claim the Tarrasque is over-CR'd and that they could beat it with 4 PCs at around level 13. I have no personal experience of this.

Easy_Lee
2015-05-15, 04:59 PM
The tarrasque has a crippling weakness to flyers, so a BM ranger with a pteranodon could conceivably plink the thing into submission as early as level 3, given enough time and arrows. Beating a tarrasque is more about planning than class levels.

A lot of DMs give the tarrasque a breath weapon and then meta-game it like an intelligent creature. You probably can't beat that kind of tarrasque with four people at all.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-15, 07:50 PM
The tarrasque has a crippling weakness to flyers, so a BM ranger with a pteranodon could conceivably plink the thing into submission as early as level 3, given enough time and arrows. Beating a tarrasque is more about planning than class levels.

A lot of DMs give the tarrasque a breath weapon and then meta-game it like an intelligent creature. You probably can't beat that kind of tarrasque with four people at all.

This is something that has always been true, hell I'm more scared of Kobolds than a Terrasque.