PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Do you know you've been impregnated?

Oryan77
2015-05-15, 04:13 PM
When a creature such as a Red Slaad or a Xill injects an egg into a PC and the PC fails the save, does the PC know that they've been impregnated? Would a Heal check identify the attack similar to knowing if a person was diseased?

Peelee
2015-05-15, 04:17 PM
When a creature such as a Red Slaad or a Xill injects an egg into a PC and the PC fails the save, does the PC know that they've been impregnated? Would a Heal check identify the attack similar to knowing if a person was diseased?

How fast is the gestation? I'd calculate the time of gestation as compared to human, and then apply the time of typical onset of symptoms (such as morning sickness, loss of period, etc.) to be proportional, and go from there.

Assuming the PC in question is human, of course.

Segev
2015-05-15, 04:20 PM
Slaad eggs, at least, are treated as disease, so should be detectable as such.

Flickerdart
2015-05-15, 04:24 PM
I'd say that the person wouldn't know right away. A Heal or Knowledge: Planes check made on the wound before it heals should give some sort of clue about its nature (that something was implanted).

While there's no information about how big Xill hatchlings are or how many there are in the eggs, I would assume they grow large enough that the victim would bulge significantly as the creatures grow. This would also put pressure on various internal organs, causing pain and compromising their functionality in various unpleasant ways. The eggs may or may not extract nutrition from the host while hatching, which would lead to fatigue and abnormal appetite. Closer to the end of the gestation period, there should be no doubt that something is horribly wrong.

I'm assuming Slaadi work similarly. I don't have the MM in front of me.

Blackhawk748
2015-05-15, 04:26 PM
If we go by Aliens logic then you probably would know. I mean a thing is growing in you, that would feel weird.

Oryan77
2015-05-15, 04:40 PM
I mean a thing is growing in you, that would feel weird.

You'd think so. I recently just read an article about a woman giving birth on a plane or something and she had no idea she was pregnant. I've heard of stories like that before too. I'm a guy, but still, I don't know how a woman wouldn't realize she's 9 months pregnant with an 8lb baby moving around inside of her belly. My wife complained all the time about my sons kicking around. What do these women think is going on when they see their belly moving because the kids pushing with it's foot? :eek:

Blackhawk748
2015-05-15, 05:13 PM
You'd think so. I recently just read an article about a woman giving birth on a plane or something and she had no idea she was pregnant. I've heard of stories like that before too. I'm a guy, but still, I don't know how a woman wouldn't realize she's 9 months pregnant with an 8lb baby moving around inside of her belly. My wife complained all the time about my sons kicking around. What do these women think is going on when they see their belly moving because the kids pushing with it's foot? :eek:

Well..................

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/045/d/6/d606835a9f562c8126faa97f21d9598d-d5uzo3x.jpg

atemu1234
2015-05-15, 05:24 PM
You'd feel something, to be sure.

Keltest
2015-05-15, 05:28 PM
My understanding is that while you would know that something was done to you, you would not know the specifics without a medical exam of some sort.

Hrugner
2015-05-15, 06:36 PM

An aunt of mine gave birth without knowing before hand. She's a little mentally unstable, obese, and had serious digestive issues that had similar symptoms. So... nothing good.

I suppose it should be harder to identify a Xill or Slaad infection in someone who was already ill but I don't think there are rules for diseases hiding behind other diseases.

nyjastul69
2015-05-15, 06:52 PM
An aunt of mine gave birth without knowing before hand. She's a little mentally unstable, obese, and had serious digestive issues that had similar symptoms. So... nothing good.

I suppose it should be harder to identify a Xill or Slaad infection in someone who was already ill but I don't think there are rules for diseases hiding behind other diseases.

I was just about to mention this type of possibility... but you got it first.

The reason for the post is to say that I hope everything worked out well, healthy baby, few complications, etc. I wish them the best.

Now on to the topic at hand. There is a 3rd party source book with a spell for just such a thing. Yes... you guessed it, the BoEF. The spell is Detect Pregnancy. It specifically mentions that it detects implants.

Hrugner
2015-05-15, 07:11 PM
I was just about to mention this type of possibility... but you got it first.

The reason for the post is to say that I hope everything worked out well, healthy baby, few complications, etc. I wish them the best.

Now on to the topic at hand. There is a 3rd party source book with a spell for just such a thing. Yes... you guessed it, the BoEF. The spell is Detect Pregnancy. It specifically mentions that it detects implants.

Yep, healthy, happy, and in the hands of close relatives.

I imagine deathwatch should let you know that you are inhabited by something with very few hitpoints. A new healthy egg is certainly still fragile.

nyjastul69
2015-05-15, 07:15 PM
Yep, healthy, happy, and in the hands of close relatives.

Cool! Very glad to hear that. A positive result to a very negative potential. =)

Tiri
2015-05-15, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't call what the OP described as 'impregnated' really being impregnated, though. More like being used as a host. You would probably be more likely to feel something alien like that growing inside you than if you were actually pregnant. Especially if the implanting happened violently.

Sith_Happens
2015-05-15, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that the obviousness of an implantation depends a lot on what part of the implanting creature the eggs come out of.