PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Knight Class (Work In Progress)

grimm1989
2015-05-16, 12:12 AM
Hi, all i'm looking to get feedback on this homebrew class of mine. Be warned this is my first time posting a class so it will most likely ether be overly strong or under powered so if there is anything that needs work on it please don't hesitate to speak up. As well i have not finished my idea on the second subclass that is why nothing more than its name is included, mostly not done due to having writers block as it were, the idea for the second subclass is a purely defensive knight rather than one with offensive capabilities.

Knight

Class Features

When you create a character whose first class is a knight, they gain the following benefits:

Hit Points

Hit Dice: 1d12 per knight
Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per knight
level after 1st

Proficiencies

Armor: All armor and shields
Weapons: Simple and martial weapons
Tools: N/A
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Choose two skills from Athletics, Animal Handling, Acrobatics, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, History, Medicine, or Survival

Starting Equipment

You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

 Chain Mail
 A martial weapon and a shield
 A light crossbow and 20 bolts or two hand axes
 An explorers pack or an dungeon’s pack

Alternatively

You can chose to forego this starting equipment and instead begin with 5d4 x 10 gold pieces in addition to any wealth and equipment granted by your character background.

Level
Proficiency
Features
Knights Challenge
Guard Points

Knights Challenge
1D6

Guard Points
1D6

Knightly Order,Deflect Missiles
1D6

Ability Score Improvement
2D6

Extra Attack
2D6

Order Feature
2D6

Vigilant Defender
2D6

2D6

Daunting Challenge
3D6

Order Feature
3D6

3D6

3D6

4D6

4D6

Order Feature
4D6

4D6

5D6

5D6

5D6

Loyal Beyond Death
5D6

Level 1: Knights Challenge

As a bonus action, a Knight may mark an opponent as their primary foe. This foe must be within 30ft and be able to hear the Knight's challenge. If the target creature attempts to inflicts any damage on the Knight before the Knight's next turn the knights challenge will fail. Otherwise, if the creature attacks anyone other than the knight himself the knight may attack the opponent during her next turn and inflict extra damage as noted in the table. This effect ends at the end of there next turn, or when she has struck her opponent once. The extra attack feature as well as the attack provided from Guard Points don't work with knights challenge.

Level 1: Fighting Style
At 1st level, you adopt a style of fighting as you specialty. Choose one of the following options. You cannot take a fighting style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Defence
You receive a +1 to AC while wearing armor

Protection
When a creature attacks someone other than you that is within 5ft of you, you may use your reaction to give the target disadvantage on the roll.

Dueling
When you are wielding a 1handed weapon and no other weapon in your offhand you gain +2 to damage rolls. (Shields don’t count as a weapon)

Great Weapon Fighting
Any damage you deal with a heavy/versatile with the two-handed feature and roll a 1-2 you may reroll the result and must use the new one.

Level 2: Guard Points
Starting at 2nd level your training in the heaviest of armors and shield allows you to use them to the whole advantage. You can use your armor in order to perform a number of abilities such as shield slam or deflection at later levels. After you spend your Armor Points they cannot be regained until you perform a short rest.

Shield Slam/Shoulder Slam
Immediately after you attack you may spend 1GP to make an attack with your shield/shoulder as a bonus action. The damage done with your shield/shoulder also knocks the target back equal feet to the damage done.
The damage is 1D4+ Str. This damage increase at level 5 to 1D6+ Strength, at level 11 1D8 + Strength, and at level 17 to 1D10 + Strength.

Shield Throw/Shoulder Charge
You may spend 1GP to make an attack at an enemy target with a range of 10/20ft. After the target is hit or missed the shield will return to you, you may spend additional GP in order to hit more targets, this cannot exceed 3 targets. Alternatively you may charge at a target 15ft away from you doing so does increased damage.
The damage is 1D4+ Str. This damage increase at level 5 to 1D6+ Strength, at level 11 1D8 + Strength, and at level 17 to 1D10 + Strength.

Defensive Posture
After you attack you may spend 1GP to perform the dodge action as a bonus action.

Level 3: Deflection
You may use your reaction to deflect missile attacks made with a range weapon. When you do so you take reduced damage from the attack equal to 1D10 + your strength modifier + your knight level. If you do so you may spend 2GP and deflect it back onto the attacker with your attack modifiers.
At 7th level you may deflect spell attacks as well however you must spend at least 3GP to make attempt the deflection back at the opponent.

Level 3: Knightly Order
At level 3, you may finally decide which knightly order you may join as any knight levels gained before 3rd level has been just you proving yourself worthy of the title. You may select an order to join from one of the two knightly orders presented: The Dragon Knights, or the Iron Knights.
Your choice grants you special features which are obtained at levels 3, 5, 10, 15.

Level 5: Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level you can attack twice, instead of once whenever you take the attack action on your turn.

Level 7: Vigilant Defender
Starting at 7th level you will not allow any enemy to pass by you. The area around you counts as difficult terrain to enemies.

Level 9: Daunting Challenge
Starting at 9th level you may call out to all nearby opponents to strike fear into their hearts. As an action you may issue a daunting challenge to all enemies within 20feet of you those you fail there save are petrified in fear until the end of the duration or attacked. This can only be used once per long rest.
The targets must make a wisdom save of 8+ proficiency + charisma or be feared for 1minute. Every turn the enemies affected by daunting challenge may make a save to end it early.

Level 20: Loyal Beyond Death
Starting at 20th level you can push your body to the absolute limits for your comrades. If you are reduced to 0 or fewer hit points and your body is still intact you may expend 1GP to continue acting in combat, this can be done a number of times equal to the amount of GP you have left. This ability even continues to work when you are past the “Death” thresh hold. Any healing received during that time will save you; however this ability may only be used once per long rest.

Order of the Dragon Knights

The order of the dragon knights are as old as the dragons themselves, they can be heard in tales around the campfires as only myth and legends as they are the ones that bring the dragons down and slay them. In the beginning it was a gift from the god Bahamut and the goddess Tiamat in order to use humans to aid each other in the fight against one another. To become a Dragon Knight one must partake in the blood of one the dragon gods, doing so changes the knight forever.

Level 3: Draconic Blood
At 3rd level after imbibing the dragon’s blood you grow wings which can be hidden within your armor as they are flexible however they may not be used for flying as they are still far too weak. Your body is strengthened with the blood allowing you to wield weapons with one hand even if they have the 2handed feature(You may not dual wield two handed weapons with this feature). Your eyes also become like that of a dragon, this gives you dark vision of 60ft.

Level 6: Dragon Leap
Starting at 6th level your wings are now able to lift you to higher places, your dragon wings can be used to jump to a location this requires a full action and you land the turn after. You can jump up to a distance and height equal to your speed x5 per long rest. While falling, you use your wings to slow your decent to not take damage. When you land you deal 3d6damage in a 5ft radius if you have fallen at least 100ft, this damage can be reduced by half with a successful dexterity saving throw.
This ability will destroy any armor you are currently wearing unless tailor made to accommodate for the wings.

Level 10: Dragons Life
Starting at 10th level your character stops aging at a normal rate instead he now ages at a rate of, for every 10years that passes he ages 1 year. As well your wings are strong enough to assist you in your movements this increases your move speed by 10ft and allows you to slow your fall speed.

Level 15: Unstoppable Force
Starting at 15th level your dragon leap is enhanced. You may now use it once every short rest as your wings are significantly stronger and instead of just landing you may use the momentum of the leap to attack a target dealing increased damage as well as hitting anyone unlucky enough to be nearby.
When you use your dragon leap and move a distance of at least 100feet you may double any damage you would deal with that attack.

Order of the Iron Knights

BRKNdevil
2015-05-16, 06:48 AM
OK, so first off, there's no real reason to have everything in a single spoiler. I suggest breaking it up. Also, somebody posted a easy diagram for all the different kinds of tables to use so you should look that up. finally, from a design perspective, you have a lot of dead levels and i suggest that you break up when certain abilities are gained so that they aren't so dead. like 5th and 10th level could be split into 5th and 6th and 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th

grimm1989
2015-05-27, 12:25 PM
Thanks BRK found the stuff for the tables and made the appropriate changes, also i changed around some of the features to reduce the amount of dead levels.

If anyone has anymore feedback to give feel free, i will keep updating as long as feedback comes in.

Flashy
2015-05-27, 12:58 PM
This class has way, way too much damage output. It can have multiple attacks, or functional sneak attack progression, but not both. This has double the DPR of a rogue at every level after 4th, along with access to a full suite of martial weapons. At the very least Knight's Challenge should be made to apply only to the next attack, not the next full round of attacks.

grimm1989
2015-05-27, 01:09 PM
Hey Flashy thanks for the feedback, i do agree with the damage output on it being pretty intense. The purpose with the rogue like progression was to make him a threat in combat as in most groups if you start a fight and someone is doing a ton of damage the monsters are more inclined to focus him. That was my reasoning anyway, I will make the change though to reduce the number of attacks it applies too and will most likely tone back the scaling on the progression. Any suggestions on how it should scale?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-27, 01:11 PM
This class has way, way too much damage output. It can have multiple attacks, or functional sneak attack progression, but not both. This has double the DPR of a rogue at every level after 4th, along with access to a full suite of martial weapons. At the very least Knight's Challenge should be made to apply only to the next attack, not the next full round of attacks.

That's kind of what I was going to say. It has more damage output than a rogue or fighter and is more durable than a barbarian. Every ability is solid, without even looking at the subclasses.

Plus, why is it even necessary? If I wanted to play a non-magical knight, I'd be perfectly happy with a Champion and the Knight background. Your order could be either pure fluff or an organisation in the vein of the Order of the Gauntlet.

grimm1989
2015-05-27, 02:32 PM
That's kind of what I was going to say. It has more damage output than a rogue or fighter and is more durable than a barbarian. Every ability is solid, without even looking at the subclasses.

1. Like stated earlier i agree the damage is high for what it is and the changes will be made shortly.
2. Thanks for the feedback.

Side Note: Made changes to the Knights Challenge Damage Scaling as well as the feature itself, as i noticed my wording on it was not what was intended.

Steampunkette
2015-05-28, 04:20 AM
Suggestion: Make the Knight's Challenge a Reaction to attacks against allies with a range of 60 feet. Make the damage into Psychic and have it impose disadvantage on the attack that triggered it. Give it a Charisma save for half damage but still impose disadvantage.

That way it comes up in a more immediate sense and can't be used as part of a triggering effect to add damage during an attack action. It also eats reactions, keeping other abilities from coming into play, forcing tactical choices. Plus it gives them a ranged attack and enforces the Challenge even on skirmishing enemies who might get out of range before the Knight can close.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-28, 04:51 AM
Suggestion: Make the Knight's Challenge a Reaction to attacks against allies with a range of 60 feet. Make the damage into Psychic and have it impose disadvantage on the attack that triggered it. Give it a Charisma save for half damage but still impose disadvantage.

That way it comes up in a more immediate sense and can't be used as part of a triggering effect to add damage during an attack action. It also eats reactions, keeping other abilities from coming into play, forcing tactical choices. Plus it gives them a ranged attack and enforces the Challenge even on skirmishing enemies who might get out of range before the Knight can close.

That's... That's brilliant! It solves my issue of 'why bother' as well, because it makes the knight into someone who protects his allies by making it risky to attack them. No one else does that.

Plus there's not enough psychic damage in the game.

Question: do the knight and target have to share a language?

Steampunkette
2015-05-28, 06:39 AM
I wanna say "No"

Just like a Bard doesn't need to share language for a Vicious Mockery, it's a form of pseudo-magic wherein the Knight's Conviction and Edicts are enforced by reality itself.