PDA

View Full Version : Rock of Legends [IC]

darklink_shadow
2015-05-16, 03:46 AM
The job posting scrawled with a lazy, but fluid and graceful hand read:

Help needed. Retrieving an artifact. Fairly dangerous. Large reward. All needed supplies provided. Very urgent.
-Archmage Hantsman. Just outside Redford.

Redford was in no means a large city, but it was famous for being the last stop before wilderness, and thus the first stop for most people we return from the wilderness. The city's primary revenue stream was from adventurers and treasure hunters, and so it has more inns, taverns and magic item shops than anything else but there was also a rather large farm that grew nearly 15% of the Empire's grain, and a rather large brewery that brewed nearly 85% of the Empire's beer; essentially all of it that wasn't imported from the dwarven kingdoms. So it was no surprise when Archmage Hantsman, the first archmage to live long enough to retire, decided to settle down there while he continued his research. This was partially because he was a well known alocholic, but probably more because he also liked to be on the very edge of society due to his general dislike of kids on his lawn. Nearly everyone this side of Rhinechester was very familiar with him, and so were each of you who first saw the notice, and ripped it down lest your competing adventuring teams get any ideas.

Most of you called Sky's Landing home at least part of the year, and as winter ended, all of you were nearby the city, eager and willing to finally earn some more gold during the adventuring season. Once the first day of spring came, you set out at once to help Archmage Hantsman, hoping he'd be drunk enough to drastically over pay you.

It was a rather dull 3 day walk to Redford, and another half a day to get to the Archmage's quarters. As you approached Redford, it was decided that you would rest for the night at one of the local inns. When the next dawn came, the party set off again to meet with the Archmage. The newly installed path followed a set of steel rails for the Archmage's strange and wonderful coal powered horseless carriage (a masterful invention, even if it relied on prebuilt tracks to get around) and so you felt as if you had no choice in path until you arrived at the tower.

The massive stone pillar was actually a single, massive stone carved and hollowed out by supremely impressive magics. It was well known that one did not enter this tower without the consent of the archmage for, in his paranoia, he built more traps than stairs in his 8 story tower. A wooden door stood before you, dyed a deep purple. Mounted to the door was a knocker made of jade, and no handle. None of you had even been here before, and yet you all suspected you would not be opening this door yourselves. Music drifted down from a single open window at what must have been only the 7th floor. There were the sounds of at least a dozen different instruments, but they did not seem very talents musicians playing. The inn you stayed at the previous night, the cheapest one there was, had a better performer. Perhaps it was the wizard playing?

The music stopped suddenly, and the sounds of wood shattering into chips warned you of the impending shower of slivers that rain down on you briefly.

OMG PONIES
2015-05-19, 06:47 AM
The shower of wood falls blithely around the tiniest gnome anyone had ever seen. Whizbang Googleplex was blissfully unaware of his surroundings...again. Instead, he had a magnifying glass out and was carefully inspecting the cobblestones with the assistance of his construct companion. "Truly fascinating," he muses aloud to nobody in particular. "The archmage has used slate, rather than granite for his entryway! Would you look at the tessellation of this pattern, Brain?" The diminutive man calls out from behind darkened goggles to the construct that traveled with him. Halfway between a chimneysweep and windswept, Whizbang Googleplex's look could be best described as "unkempt" and worst described as "clean-cut."

OzzyKP
2015-05-19, 08:53 AM
Ughat held his shield over his head to protect him and his allies from the shower of wood shards falling upon them.

"Hey!" he bellowed, "we saw your notice!"

Thinking for a moment that he might need to give more information he shouted again, "Something about fetching an artifact!"

OMG PONIES
2015-05-20, 06:36 AM
At the mention of an artifact, Whizbang's large gnomish ears perk up. "Do be sure to mention the large reward, Ughat," the tiny engineer says without looking up from his 128-point inspection of the pathway. "Also the offer of supplies? I have a list prepared, with appendices for screw sizes, chemical component requirements and handling precautions." Tucking away his magnifying glass, the tiny man pulls out a scrap of parchment already covered in various notations, equations, diagrams, and scribbles. He adds a few more to a margin that hasn't been completely inked over and tucks it back into his pocket.

OzzyKP
2015-05-20, 12:04 PM
Nodding to his diminutive companion, Ughat shouts again, "And something about a reward! And supplies!"

stack
2015-05-21, 01:33 PM
Conrad Steelfist wastes no time in gathering the silvers. "Bit of direction could go a ways in the matter. Less drama, more cash." His voice is deep and low. The additional weight is not that much trouble for his unarmored form, short-sleeved tunic revealing strong arms and hands that are more scar than not. His face is only somewhat better off, shaved pate revealing additional scaring, one nasty one cutting across his cheek and into his goatee.

darklink_shadow
2015-05-23, 04:02 PM
There was the sound of movement, and swearing before an old man looked out the window at you. What's that? Who's there? Oh! Mercenaries?! Good! Great! Come on up! Oh, but don't use the door. You'll surely die horribly. Just one moment. Just wait there, yes.

The man wandered away from the window, and for a moment nothing happened. Suddenly, however, you were engulfed in a cold blue light, and the world grew fuzzy. As the world cleared, you found yourself in a stone room with arcane symbols scrawled all around. There was a door that opened presently, and the old man beckoned you into his work room. The place was littered with musical instruments, many of which were bizarre to you, and many of them were broken.

Excuse the mess. Ah, but you'll be solving that little problem. Yes. Come in, come in, don't be shy. Listen, there is a magical instrument in a cave not far from here. I've discovered how to get inside, but, ah, I cannot go in myself. There are fields which detect magical energy. Oh, but some of you have magic, yes, your faces clearly say that. But no, you have only vague springs of magic... I have a torrent. Bah, but that does me no good. I'm trying to learn to play music, you see, but I simply cannot seem to master it. What, wait... no that's another subject.

Listen, if you go and gather this magic instrument, I will pay you greatly. But you must not touch it! No! It is cursed! But I believe I can shatter the curse and get to the gooey magic inside. Here, here, take this bag. Drop it around the instrument, and carry the bag. Inside right now are all the tools you'll need. Yes, the key, the amulets, and the answers. Yes. But also the bag. Good, we'll then, off you go.

The old man tossed the bag at Conrad, and began to shoo them back into the room they had come from. Oh, questions? Yes, ask them quickly. We must make haste. I am an impatient old man. Go, go.

boldfont
2015-05-23, 10:37 PM
Esther picked a chunk of wood from her tea cup and flicked it aside. She didn't bother brushing off the wood and dust from her hood.
slurp
She had come a long long way and had further still to go. She was, without a doubt, insane. That much she knew. What was she trying to get back to? She mentally retraced her steps. Deposited here by a genie, before that city in the clouds on another plane of existence, before that city of brass, before that four different layers of the Abyss, and before that...? Ah yes! Castor! The lost city in limbo from another time and dimension. Try explaining that to a new group of adventurers every time you fall out of the sky. It was remarkable how far she had traveled without the fine knife. If her old friends only knew how easy it was to get from A to B and how difficult it was without such a powerful relic... well, ha ha! She will have to tell them if she ever sees them again.

Do you know how to send me back to the Abyss? she queried of the Wizard. Alive? She clarified. And then took another sip of tea. slurp.

darklink_shadow
2015-05-23, 11:52 PM
The wizard stares at the woman as if she had a second mouth on her forehead that was speaking, but he seemed to decide that he had stranger things. With a disheveled shrug he looked up at the corner of his ceiling.

I have... a friend who possibly could. No, I'm sure he could. Why would you want... well, that's fine. But of course, well, I haven't seen him in a while. He will likely come by... no, he's retired isn't he? I will give you his address once this is done. And a note saying he is to help you. Sure, sure. A small favor... he owes me several. I will have to dock your pay slightly, but that's no matter.

The wizard looked back at her, and then shook his head. Well, actually, no bother. I won't even dock your pay. Once I have this artifact, I will be plenty happy to lose one of my owed favors, and gold has no meaning to me any more. Sure. To the abyss. Alive even, so the demons have to kill you before they eat you soul. Sure.

boldfont
2015-05-24, 12:02 AM
Unphased, Esther calmly sips the last of her tea slurp and tosses the cup, letting it shatter behind her, and says
Then I shall do whatever you want.

She didn't know the other mercenaries, but they were now officially bonded to her by the common mission.
Hello friends! She greets them with a weary smile. Shall we?
She's ready to go. No time to waste. Or was it all the time in the world? Both seems equally horrifying to her, but Esther kept that thought to herself.

stack
2015-05-26, 08:50 PM
Conrad takes a quick look in the bag, hoping to see the mentioned answers and to tell if he could identify the use of any of the tools, so as to be able to ask questions now rather than wish for answers later.

OzzyKP
2015-05-27, 09:05 AM
Impatient with the blabbering of this wizard, Ughat says, simply, "What danger can we expect in the cave?"

darklink_shadow
2015-05-27, 11:50 AM
Conrad sees inside about a dozen amulets marked with a simple feather motif as if someone was trying to be artistic, but got lazy. They are all completely identical. He also sees a sheet of paper, and a strange object. The object looks like a gnome's skeletal arm attached to an orc's skull, but with spines growing out of the top of the orc's head. The gnome's fingers are arranged in a manner that vaguely resembles a key. Despite seeming to be made from bone, the key is actually very heavy and definately metal.

The wizard looks at Ughat with clear derision. Other than a locked door and riddles? Monsters, I'm sure. Drawn and seduced by the darkness. Why does that matter? Just go. Off with you.

With a sudden flick of his wrist, it seems the wizard had ended the Q&A session.

Chapter 0: Temple II

As the blurriness of teleportation fades you find yourself before a massive, heavily chained door seated into a mountain. The door is at least 30ft tall, and about 10 ft wide, and near the base, where all the chains collide into a heap, a single lock lurks, curling between all the chains, and binding them into a messy horde of twisted metal. The keyhole of the lock appears to be a screaming skull that is on fire, with some inpressive stone work, in layer with just enough gems to make the fire seem almost real.

It's very frightening and morbid, but who designs these sorts of places to be welcoming? No one!

Beside you on either side is a sharp decline into spiky peril, and behind you is a thorn infest bramble. You could likely make your way through the brambles, but it would probably take a very long time, and I seems to be the only way to or from the dungeon standing before you. There is a wooden sign there, but it is facing away from you, and you can no read it.

Without a doubt, however, your path towards a payday is through the massive door, and into the depths of the dungeon.

stack
2015-05-27, 09:05 PM
"Well, that is the second most eccentric employer I have ever had. I suppose this skull key thing would be a reasonable guess for the lock, unless someone cares to check the door first?"

OzzyKP
2015-05-29, 03:50 PM
Though impatient to see what is inside, Ughat was of no use to check for traps or magical spells.

"Unless you need the door beaten down, don't look to me."

boldfont
2015-05-31, 11:32 AM
I'll open it. Esther volunteers. Give me the key. There's no sense hesitating at every graphic of death when we are likely to see the real thing inside. She waits for the key to be placed in her palm but never takes her eyes off of the lock. When she has it she says Step back please and from a safe distance away and to the side she causes the key to levitate through subtle manipulations of space and time (mage hand). It gently bobbles its way to the lock like a feather on the breeze and then ever so smoothly latches into the keyhole and the tumblers inside the fancy lock. It twists, click, and TA-DA! Esther waits for the lock to open and half hopes for a massive explosion or a barrage of poison darts so she will know she has not wasted her precious arcane power for the day.

darklink_shadow
2015-05-31, 03:52 PM
The key turns in the lock, and then a grinding noise is heard as the lock slowly unwinds itself from around all the chains.

Suddenly all the metal is loose and it falls in a massive heap on the ground with a impressive thud. Fortunately no one was near the door to have the chains land on them, by even more fortunate is that no one was near the pyrotechnics that went off all over the place as the door slid open. Before them was a hall way that went straight forward, but dipped downward and ended in front of a smaller door. Along the hallway were carved images of skulls with fangs, scorpions, and boar head wearing a helmet.

OMG PONIES
2015-06-06, 07:52 AM
"Remarkable..." is all Whizbang can bring himself to mutter at the sight of Esther's magic. "How utterly inefficient and beautiful!" He begins furiously scribbling notes while the floating key unlocks the door for them. Perhaps if he hadn't been too busy engineering a cannon to channel and weaponize Esther's ability, he would have been able to focus on the task at hand and help the group with the door. No matter, that had been taken care of for him, leaving him to his work.

As the door opens, Whizbang scampers to the front of the line. "Remarkable, isn't it, Brain?" he mutters yet again as he stares at the hallway full of carvings. He fumbles through his satchel and retrieves a strange device full of gears, antennae, and sprockets that beeps, boops, pings, and generally makes too much noise to be unobtrusive. He holds it at arm's length and begins to scan back and forth.

[roll0] Do I know anything about this particular dungeon?
[roll1] How sturdy does the entrance/hallway/etc look?
[roll2] Do the carvings on the wall hold any particular symbolism?
[roll3] if IT'S A TRAP!

Also, Whizbang uses his multipurpose compass invention at all times. A multipurpose compass always shows the direction north, shows the correct time, and can detect magic in a radius of 30 ft. It is only capable of denoting the presence, general direction, strength, and spell school of magical effects, and cannot pinpoint from what specific objects it emanates. A multipurpose compass also emits an alarm when within 30 ft. of noxious fumes, gaseous poisons or toxins, or harmful radiation.

OMG PONIES
2015-06-13, 06:43 AM
After a long moment of beeps & boops, Whizbang shouts out: "NOBODY TOUCH THE DOOR!" He scurries over to the door, his bespectacled face mere inches from its surface. He traces an imperceptible trigger to a valve that could release enough acid to melt everyone. He plops his satchel on the ground and withdraws a set of thieves' tools. Not content to purchase off-the-rack, though, Whizbang has modified these tools with their own series of mirrors, blades, and various tools springing out in all directions. As a result, it looks more like he is rubbing a junkyard on the door than anything else.

[roll0]

As he sets to work, he shares with the group: "The symbols on the walls...utterly remarkable. My working hypothesis is quite simple, actually--it all comes back to The Legend of the Festering Four somehow. Legendary bards who banded together to eliminate evil, but instead found that very evil creeping its way from their hearts out to the rest of their bodies. Turned on one another toward the end, and they all wound up dying as villains instead of becoming heroes.

Perhaps one or more of them are buried here? Or this place is set up in reverence to them? All we know empirically is that these symbols are something akin to a coat of arms for the demon hunters of old. Everything else would just be speculation at this point." Whizbang's compass continues to chirp loudly as it detects transmutation magic everywhere. "Just about..." he calls over it as he fiddles with the trigger on the door, hoping not to release the acid.

darklink_shadow
2015-06-13, 04:11 PM
There is a hard click sound, and then the sound of gear grinding somewhere off in the distance. Whatever the noises, Whizzbang was certain that the release hatch for the acid was not going to open any time soon, leaving the door safe to open.

stack
2015-06-15, 10:52 AM
Conrad waits for the gnome to open the door. "Seems you are the expert in these matters. Care to take the lead?"

OMG PONIES
2015-06-15, 09:00 PM
"Indubitably," Whizbang says with a nod. With that, he carefully opens the door.

darklink_shadow
2015-06-15, 10:04 PM
The other side of the door holds an utterly dark room, lit only by the light behind you. Inside you can barely make out angry red eyes. They hiss, more in surprise than anger, but the growls that come next clearly harbor more hatred than fear.

They shift and the sound of iron scrapping on stone raspy in the musty air. Nobody gets a clear count of the eyes before they are all gone, and nothing but darkness lurks before them. And yet, needles pierce your skin as dagger-like eyes bore onto your flesh.

You are not welcome here.

stack
2015-06-16, 09:40 AM
"Right then, let's light a torch and see what we can see."he says, realizing there is no torch in the inventory of his sheet :smallredface:

OzzyKP
2015-06-16, 11:51 AM
Nodding at the suggestion, and being the prepared sort, Ughat takes a torch out of his pack and lights it. Holding it in his right hand while he holds his shield defensively in his left. Wary of traps and of wandering too far without Whizbang checking over things first, Ughat waves his lit torch around to illuminate as much of the room as he can.

darklink_shadow
2015-06-16, 12:44 PM
Ughat's torch flares into life and sputters briefly before holding steady. The flame's light reveals nearly all of the room, just barely not illuminating the furthest corners. And yet, perhaps it should have. It appears as if the flame burns brightly enough to reveal the whole room, but 20ft away the light ceases to pierce the darkness. Normally there is a creeping, shadowy area between completely lit and absolute darkness, but here the distinction is sudden.

Nevertheless, more than a strange property of light is revealed. Bones of small creatures litter the area and poorly made traps lay like ruins about the place. It is clear that a rat was being feasted on up until just recently, as some blood has started to pool under the half eaten body. Half a dozen or so remains lay about in different stages of decomposition. It is clear that the creature you saw before do not like to eat the skin of the rats, or their tails but they do seem to eat the skulls.

Scrawled on the way are words and arrows, one of which points up to the corner of the room nearest you where part of the Stone roofing has given way to a tunnel too small for even the smallest of you to crawl through well and impossible to enter for the majority of you. Upon noticing that, you realize there are two others in the room, one of which is close to the center of the room. With a shiver, you realize something is watching you from that tunnel, but the torch doesn't reveal enough of it to see what lurks, waiting and hungry.

The way forward is not blocked at all, but a thick darkness lies just beyond the archway opposite the door you entered.

stack
2015-06-16, 01:23 PM
"Lovely place, we should take decorating tips. Could put an arrow down the hole, see if it hits anything." He shrugs.

stack
2015-06-23, 09:06 AM
"Okay, sounds like a plan." A shaft leaps up the shaft.attack roll needed for this? Hard to miss. [roll0] [roll1]

darklink_shadow
2015-06-23, 10:45 AM
The arrow finds purchase in the soft flesh of something with a squishy thud and a squeal. The arrow is returned, broken and bloody, and whatever was watching before has fled.

The oozing redness on the arrow reveals their angry watcher to be of flesh and blood. Though a little less flesh, and a little less blood than before. A small amount of dark green skin sticks to the arrowhead.

stack
2015-06-23, 12:29 PM
"Well, anybody able to tell anything from this?" He holds up the arrow and skin.

OzzyKP
2015-06-23, 03:17 PM
Ughat didn't much like the idea of attacking an unseen foe, there was no telling what it may be that they put an arrow in. He took up a defensive position guarding his companions and held up his shield for cover.

OMG PONIES
2015-06-30, 06:40 AM
Ughat's torch flares into life and sputters briefly before holding steady. The flame's light reveals nearly all of the room, just barely not illuminating the furthest corners. And yet, perhaps it should have. It appears as if the flame burns brightly enough to reveal the whole room, but 20ft away the light ceases to pierce the darkness. Normally there is a creeping, shadowy area between completely lit and absolute darkness, but here the distinction is sudden.

Whizbang moves to the edge of the darkness, probing at the distinct division with his multipurpose compass in much the way a small child would poke at a bubble of oil poured into water. "No diffusion, as if to suggest some sort of force preventing the osmosification of the beams. How remarkable!"

[roll0] do I know of anything that could cause this? Engineering, geography, & history have the same modifier.

Nevertheless, more than a strange property of light is revealed. Bones of small creatures litter the area and poorly made traps lay like ruins about the place. It is clear that a rat was being feasted on up until just recently, as some blood has started to pool under the half eaten body. Half a dozen or so remains lay about in different stages of decomposition. It is clear that the creature you saw before do not like to eat the skin of the rats, or their tails but they do seem to eat the skulls.

[roll1] Any aberrations, oozes, or other dungeon dwellers I know of with these dietary patterns?

Scrawled on the way are words and arrows, one of which points up to the corner of the room nearest you where part of the Stone roofing has given way to a tunnel too small for even the smallest of you to crawl through well and impossible to enter for the majority of you. Upon noticing that, you realize there are two others in the room, one of which is close to the center of the room. With a shiver, you realize something is watching you from that tunnel, but the torch doesn't reveal enough of it to see what lurks, waiting and hungry. The way forward is not blocked at all, but a thick darkness lies just beyond the archway opposite the door you entered.

"The tunneling pattern would suggest kobolds to an untrained eye," Whizbang postulates aloud. "Given the system of tunnels and the intriguing darkness, now would be the best time to establish a cartographer for our group. Would anyone like to keep a map sketched? If not, I could suffice in a pinch."

darklink_shadow
2015-06-30, 10:32 AM
Whizbang is fairly certain no natural phenomenon is causing the strange properties of light, but without knowing what is causing the abnormality, he isn't sure.

What he is sure of however, is that the feeding patterns are goblinoid or possibly kobold. Or maybe something else. Definately not an ooze.

He believes the tunnels are likely goblin or kobold. Definately not ooze.

stack
2015-07-01, 08:45 PM
"Think I'd rater have my hands free for a fight, good idea to make one though."

OzzyKP
2015-07-06, 10:32 AM
"Kobolds...," Ughat said with a snort.

Then, much louder, he bellowed, "Come out of your holes, you cowards, and face us!"

Intimidate: [roll0]

OMG PONIES
2015-07-07, 05:47 AM
"Or goblins," Whizbang says with a finger raised to correct his companion. "Or bugbears? Could be something else, but definitely not a black pudding or anything--you'd smell it and step in it before anything. I'll take care of the cartography, then. Eidetic memory and all. Brain, do us a favor and compile a map, would you? Never hurts to have a backup copy."

darklink_shadow
2015-07-07, 10:09 AM
Ughat's challenge is met with silence. The creatures may have fled for now, or they could be unwilling to attack on guard foes. Or maybe they are scavengers. Or maybe they are sneaking up behind... Ughat doesn't see anyone behind them. In any case, it ss they have tunnels that enable much more mobility around this place than you have.

stack
2015-07-07, 11:04 AM
"Have to be on our guard, but I suppose there is nothing to it but to move forward."

OMG PONIES
2015-07-10, 05:25 AM
"Indubitably. Onward."

OzzyKP
2015-07-10, 05:55 AM
Ughat gestures to Whizbang with his shield and says, "After you, trap finder."

OMG PONIES
2015-07-11, 06:35 AM
"Well, Brain, you heard the man," Whizbang chides his construct companion. In response, the tiny bundle of gears clicks, whirrs, and whines. "Heavens no, it's not derogatory," the gnome scoffs. "It is, after all, one of your primary functions. Why do you think I outfitted you with a wider retinal dilution radius?" With that, the construct sinks a few inches closer to the ground but continues onward. As the contraption quietly flies into the dark, Whizbang pulls a ten-foot pole from his sack. The effect is quite comedic, as this particular pole telescopes from a much smaller size--first from 2 to 4 feet, then to 6, and so forth. Once the pole is fully extended, Whizbang clicks a button on the side and an additional spring-loaded section darts out from the top. The irony of a 2-foot tall gnome holding a now 11-foot pole is lost on him. "What?" Whizbang says as he looks at the group. "Didn't some human once advise to walk softly & carry a big stick?"

[roll0]
Brain utilizes its darkvision to scout ahead & my multipurpose compass continues to keep our orientation & detect magic within 30 ft.

darklink_shadow
2015-07-11, 10:12 PM
As you wander about in the dark, you hear movement in the tunnels from time to time. You enter a room and as your torch reveals a humanoid figure, he lights a torch beside him, and the entire room floods with light.

He is a hairy squat creature, perhaps 5ft tall and built like an ox. He blocks the way forward and says calmly None shall pass, unless they be worthy. He repeats the phrase in a dozen other languages or more. It's hard to tell, because some languages would say the phrase shorter or longer than others.

OMG PONIES
2015-07-12, 05:43 AM
Whizbang distinctly understands eight of the languages spoken, and believes that to be a helpful fact for everyone else. "I understood precisely eight of those languages," he says aloud to the oxman. "Not to get too philosophically deconstructive, but how would one quantify or define 'worthy?' A rather heady concept left on its own, yes?"

stack
2015-07-12, 12:32 PM
"Wrestling contest, perhaps?" Conrad asks hopefully.

darklink_shadow
2015-07-12, 01:39 PM
If the creature understood anything you said, he made no signs of it. Instead he contorted his body into a low stance that looked as if he was carrying a heavy and massive load across his shoulders. First is to Fight. Again, he spoke in common first, but cycled through many languages. There was a moment's hesitation and then a bell sounded and he charged into the midst of you, kicking the legs out from under Conrad, catching the man in the awkward pose he had assumed earlier, and flipping the man onto the floor.

Shifting his weight, he continued to move, also with inhuman speed, and punched Ughat in the face with an ugly, massive fist before rebounding 5ft away.

Since I can only post from my phone, I don't have a map for this one.

However, since it's just one guy, it should be fine. Conrad is prone, and took [3] damage. Ughat took [4] damage.

If it is not obvious from the post, it is obvious to your characters that he is moving very fast. Perhaps twice as fast as a normal person should.

The magic detecting compass claims he is under the effects of a transmutation spell, a conjuration (healing) spell and a evocation spell.

stack
2015-07-13, 11:11 AM
Conrad stands and shifts towards his assailant, kicks coming with blinding speed. move to stand, 5' adjacent, standard for shadow blade technique (roll twice and take better, +1d6 damage if both rolls hit

best of:
[roll0]
[roll1]

damage[roll2]
bonus if both hit [roll3]

OMG PONIES
2015-07-13, 09:01 PM
"How fortuitous!" Whizbang says to Conrad, "your wish has been granted! Now everyone, please back away from the gentleman for a moment," Whizbang politely asks his companions. As he speaks, he pulls what seems to be an eggshell from his pack.

Free action: speak
Move action: draw eggshell grenade, dust
Standard action: ready action to throw eggshell grenade once no allies are within 5 feet of the man.

OzzyKP
2015-07-14, 09:48 PM
"Ho, ho!" Ughat chortles with glee, happy for an opportunity to test his mettle. "Who are you that thinks you are worthy to test us? We will crush you, puny, hairy man! I will smash you!"

He quickly drops his torch and pulls out his massive warhammer. Sliding up to the creature, Ughat swings his hammer above his head with his right hand, striking hard at their foe.

After he strikes, he takes up a defensive position near his allies, ready to guard them if they are attacked.

Ughat (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=195707)----------

AC: 19 (base 10, +6 armor, +2 shield, +1 dex)
HP: 16 (20 base, -4 attack)

Masterwork Warhammer: +7 attack, 1d8+4 damage, x3 critical

Warhammer attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 STR, +1 masterwork, +3 smite)
Warhammer damage: [roll1] (+4 STR, +4 smite)

Intimidate: [roll2]
Stance: Bolstering Voice (allies get +2 will saves, +4 vs. fear)

Ughat uses a swift action to demoralize the creature
Ughat uses a free action to drop his torch
Ughat uses a move action to draw his warhammer
Ughat uses a 5 ft step to get within range of the creature
Ughat uses a standard action to attack with a Leading the Attack maneuver (allies get +4 attack vs. same foe if my attack is successful)
Ughat (if allowed) makes his attack a smite

If the creature attacks one of his companions, Ughat uses an immediate action to provide cover (+4 AC, +2 Reflex saves)

darklink_shadow
2015-07-20, 08:31 PM
Esther's blade whipped out suddenly and slashed a hunk of fur from the beast, but seemed to deal only cetic damage, though an impressive amount of said damage.

The creature seemed to ignore Ughat's word as he had ignored your words before and as he now ignored your attempts to strike him, weaving slightly out of each on coming attack and only taking meager damage from the rapier.

He spun in place, kicking the leg out from under Esther, and them swiped at her blade, but missed. His second attack as Ughat came to her aid just in time.

Esther took [3] damage.

stack
2015-07-21, 01:58 PM
Conrad darts forward, trying to grab his foe and lever him for a throw, aiming to toss him between himself and Ughat for easy flanking.move & mighty throw maneuver
[roll0] vs touch
trip attempt (cannot be tripped in return) [roll]1d20+9[/toll] includes +4 bonus from maneuver

OzzyKP
2015-07-21, 03:22 PM
Ughat was glad he could come to the defense of Esther, but was upset that his attack had failed to connect.

"You stay away from her!" he shouted, and thrust down hard with his hammer. He took extra care to not be thrown off by the moves of this creature. He would strike true.

HP: 16 (20 base, -4 attack)

Warhammer attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 STR, +1 masterwork, +2 flanking, +4 Steely Strike)
Warhammer damage: [roll1] (+4 STR)

If needed, Ughat uses a 5-ft step to move next to the creature
Ughat uses a standard action to attack with a Steely Strike maneuver (+4 on one attack)

If the creature attacks one of his companions, Ughat uses an immediate action to provide cover (+4 AC, +2 Reflex saves)

OzzyKP
2015-07-24, 12:23 PM
"This would all be much easier if you would just stand still..." said an exasperated Whizbang as he tossed a net over the creature. Unfortunately, in the confusion of the melee, his toss missed his mark.

"Oh flaerngraeth!" he exclaims, "Quit moving around you fearthklant!"

Throws Net (ranged touch attack): [roll0]

darklink_shadow
2015-07-27, 06:05 PM
The creature is pushed a bit by Conrad and glowers at him before being caught by surprise and landing hard on his back. His glowering turns into an angry look of approval, and he jumps back into a standing position again slapping away attempts to strike at him while he stands. Finally he backhand Ughat, trying to push him away, and then retreating slightly to stand on Conrad's side.

Esther rolls away before standing back up, but looks a bit winded from her fall.

The creature doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity for standing, and then he strikes and bullrushes Ughat. He only manages to push him 5ft, and then 5ft steps to get out of being flanked too easily. Ughat takes [3] Damage.

The creature is also starting to look tired.

OzzyKP
2015-07-29, 12:32 PM
Seeing their foe begin to tire, Ughat decides to take the opportunity to pound him into dirt.

Letting out a yell he smashes down at the creature with his hammer.

HP: 13 (20 base, -4 attack, -3 attack)

Warhammer attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 STR, +1 masterwork, +2 flanking)
Warhammer damage: [roll1] (+4 STR)

Ughat moves next to the creature
Ughat uses a standard action to attack

stack
2015-07-29, 02:55 PM
Conrad closes for a fiery blow.swift for burning blade att [roll0]
damage [roll1] + [roll2] fire

OMG PONIES
2015-08-02, 08:11 PM
"That's it, no more warnings--everyone back away from him!" Whizbang waits a few seconds to allow his comrades time to comply, and then tosses an eggshell grenade regardless of their proximity. He had warned them about the hazardous side effects; the fault was theirs if they didn't heed his prior admonition.

Delay initiative until all allies have gone.
[roll0]
[roll1] rounds
Allies within 5 feet of the foe must make Fort Save (DC 10) or be blinded for 1 round.

darklink_shadow
2015-08-15, 10:46 PM
Slightly singed, the creature takes a few steps back and raises his hands. Enough! Enough. You pass the first test. You have two choices to make. And in those two choices, you have two options each.

I will answer any two questions, or give you one piece of advice for your next trial. My answers will be short, and my advice vague.

You may press on, or we can continue our skirmish, and I will grace you with another hint.

stack
2015-08-16, 07:40 PM
Conrad keeps his eyes on his opponent, readying himself for more combat. "What do you lot think?"refresh burning blade

OMG PONIES
2015-08-17, 08:40 PM
Whizbang raises an inquisitive eyebrow. "Let me get this straight, Conrad," the gnome says, "you're asking an engineer like me whether he'd prefer more or less information? I'd say we take the vague advice and go for as much of it as possible. Vague advice is guaranteed to be 100% useful, though the probability of appropriate interpretation is lesser. If we ask the wrong question, though, even the clearest answer will be 0% useful. Simply put: never rely on user input when there's another option."

OzzyKP
2015-08-26, 01:22 PM
After listening to his companions, Ughat decides to summarize as best he can so they can move forward, "We want vague advice for the next challenge. Then we fight more."

darklink_shadow
2015-08-26, 01:44 PM
The figure seemed to hesitate and slowly mouthed words before speaking in a riddle. You will face the Holy Champion's greatest fear made real, and it will be the path forward and your death save only if an earthen symbol of those who have conquered this fear weighs heavily on your chest.

He lowered his stance and charged again, knocking all save Conrad to the ground, though not from lack of trying. As he darted around the room with an inhuman and terrifying speed, it became quick clear he had been holding back before.

Ughat takes 2 damage.
Whizbang takes 3 damage.
Esther take 1 damage.

The creature provokes two attacks of opportunity from Conrad, if he gets more than one a round.

If you somehow stop him from moving or something, you can prevent him from attacking one person per bullrush/trip you succeed on. CMD will be 18. Alternatively, you can just punch him.

OzzyKP
2015-08-26, 02:30 PM
Ughat decides to just punch this creature. Punch him with his hammer.

This battle was definitely taking its toll on Ughat, he was, as always, concerned with protecting those around him, but for the moment at least he also thought about protecting himself as well. Drawing deep into his martial training, he uses a stone bones maneuver to gird himself from any attacks that come his way while smiting his foe with all the heavenly power he can summon.

HP: 13 (20 base, -4 attack, -3 attack)

Warhammer attack: [roll0] (+2 BAB, +4 STR, +1 masterwork, +2 flanking, +3 Smite)
Warhammer damage: [roll1] (+4 STR, +4 Smite)

Manuever: Stone Bones - if attack connects, I gain DR 5/adamantine

Ughat moves next to the creature (to a flanking position, if possible)
Ughat uses a standard action to attack

stack
2015-08-26, 09:14 PM
Conrad tries to toss his foe down before he reaches the others.trip touch attack [roll0]

str check [roll1]

too bad he can't use a maneuver instead, he's better with those.