PDA

View Full Version : Players behind the OotS?

Meneltin
2007-04-20, 08:38 AM
I guess it's because of the use of rule-mechanics in the dialogues, but I keep picturing the OotS as a group of players, playing AD&D.

:roy: is of course the organisor of the game, they're are playing at his house and he knows the rules best.

:durgon: good friend of Roy, and a good roleplayer.

:belkar: also a friend of Roy, but is not into this roleplaying stuff, just wants to kick ass. He wasn't allowed by the DM to play a lesbian stripper ninja, so he opted for a 'sexy shoeless god of war'.

:elan: the naive younger brother of Roy's player.

Can't place :haley: and :vaarsuvius: quite yet, but what do you guys think?

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-20, 08:51 AM
Well, the Giant has already stated quite plainly that there is no group of players behind the Order, but since this is a speculation thread...

I disagree only with your pick for Elan. Elan would have to be absolutely the best roleplayer ever created, shortly after Haley. Roy a lot of people can identify with, although his player is decent. V is a fairly two-dimensional wizard/Belkar likewise, only replace "wizard" with "psycho" - but Elan? It takes a lot of skill to act lovably and humorously stupid and naive - add that to the fact that either Elan's player had to pretend to be Nale or Haley had to pretend that Nale was Elan right at the end of the Linear Guild's latest ploy, and you have some phenominal in-character responses where most would be tempted to metagame at least a bit.

EntilZha
2007-04-20, 11:24 AM
:haley: Perhaps a rather "plain Jane" female RPG'er

:vaarsuvius: Long haired Goth boy maybe? (Maybe I'm reaching, dunno)

Meneltin, I've played with someone like the hypothetical person you've described as playing Belkar, though not in a D&D game. Interesting, funny, and occasionally annoying experience.

Assassinfox
2007-04-20, 12:04 PM
Someone's started a topic like this before.

IIRC, V was an MMORPG powergamer who likes to kill things, and screwed up his character sheet so his gender is True Neutral and his alignment is Male.

jindra34
2007-04-20, 12:12 PM
Someone's started a topic like this before.

IIRC, V was an MMORPG powergamer who likes to kill things, and screwed up his character sheet so his gender is True Neutral and his alignment is Male.

DWAH!!! ....

Mordaedil
2007-04-20, 12:15 PM
Everyone has various ideas of what the players are. Personally, I don't see the MMORPG theory as very right.

My personal take on V was the female player that started as a male character, but people kept forgetting she played a guy and thus she plays on that.

I do like Jade_Tarems pick on Elan, if only for it's verbosity. Most people can't go wrong with Roy though, he's the one most familiar with the rules and some people speculate he usually plays wizards, but decided on a fighter this time (hence his background).

Assassinfox
2007-04-20, 12:19 PM
Everyone has various ideas of what the players are. Personally, I don't see the MMORPG theory as very right.

MMORPG, because the player thinks roleplaying a wizard means to spout nonsense every other minute and be completely obsessed with POWER!!!!1 and have no real personality or goals.

draca
2007-04-20, 12:53 PM
My personal take on V was the female player that started as a male character, but people kept forgetting she played a guy and thus she plays on that.

That was the feeling I got for V too. :smallbiggrin: But I had more the feeling that the player had this involuntarily occur before with characters in the past, so this time designed one from the start that just "no one can tell" for a lark.

That or it's someone poking fun at the stereotype that elven males are so feminine, and female elves are so flat and boyish... that to another elf, V's gender is perfectly obvious, but to those barbarian humans and other races, if it doesn't have exaggerated secondary sexual characteristics, then they can't tell.