PDA

View Full Version : Druid options

Bane-Wordsmith
2015-05-16, 01:12 PM
So I've got my 2nd 5th edition game coming up.
What I really want to represent is a Druid with the primal fury of nature.
What I would love, would be to take the Druid and then add in a few levels of Barbarian here and there. The Totem Spirit feature of the Barbarian feels like an awesome fit for a Rage induced Druid.
Any suggestions of the best way to do this? Is it even feasible to pull it off without falling behind the other part members?
I'm not worried about optimising, as I don't think it's a very powerful/optimised group to begin with.

DivisibleByZero
2015-05-16, 01:33 PM
You're better off using Ranger for this.
The 1d8 from Hunter is just as good or better than the extra Rage damage, especially combined with the 1d6 from Hunter's Mark, and most especially with that 1d6 if/when you go far enough to get Extra Attack. And it continues half caster progression rather than giving it up.

Comparisons for you:

Barb 3: +2 damage for three fights (avg 6-8 combats/day) during which you cannot cast, 17 caster levels.
+4 damage for three fights if dual wielding and can't cast.
Ranger 3: +1d8 damage from Colossus Slayer (+4.5 all day long instead of for 3 fights), +1d6 potential damage from Hunter's Mark (3.5 ~ 8 total so far), during which you do not lose casting, 18 caster levels.
+1d8+2d6 damage (11.5) if dual wielding and still cast.

Barb 5: +2 damage for three fights (avg 6-8 combats/day, for both attacks, +4 total) during which you cannot cast, 15 caster levels.
+6 damage for three fights if dual wielding and can't cast.
Ranger 5 or 6: +1d8 damage from Colossus Slayer (+4.5 all day long), +2d6 potential damage from Hunter's Mark (7 ~ 11.5 total so far), during which you do not lose casting, 17 caster levels.
+1d8+3d6 damage (15) if dual wielding and still cast.

It might be a little less flavor, but flavor is easy to work around. Ranger simply works much, much better than Barbarian does with a Druid.

hymer
2015-05-16, 01:34 PM
For barbarian to perform in damage dealing, they need at least five levels. So if you're looking to make a druid who beats people up using weapons, I'd suggest only dipping druid.
If, on the other hand, you envisaging wild shaped, angry druid, then I'd go for maximum druid and only a tiny dip of barbarian.

What I would avoid is any sort of near-equivalence of levels. Pick one class to be the main thing, and dip the other for flavour. So if you want the Totems, I suggest you just dip a few levels of druid (either 1 or 3), and only after you have at least five levels of barbarian.

Naanomi
2015-05-16, 02:05 PM
Extra attack on some wild shapes is very strong, so 5/15 isn't a terrible option

hymer
2015-05-16, 02:09 PM
Extra attack on some wild shapes is very strong, so 5/15 isn't a terrible option

Ah, depending on how the DM chooses to interpret that particular thing, certainly.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-16, 02:33 PM
Nature Cleric works fine for this.

Sure some of the bonus spells aren't the best but if you go Vuman and take warcaster then even "Animal Friendship" is a fun spell when fighting beasts.

Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

AC: (heavy + shield) 18
Wepon: Club (1d8 + Wis)

Shillelagh as a free cantrip.

When you hit level 4 pump wisdom as it will help with melee and with spiritual weapon (xd8+wis)...

You could go light armor and high Dex if you want and get the same AC (14 + 2 + 2). Doesn't matter, I like my friend's Gladiator turned Warden character who was a heavy armor nature cleric "Beserker".

Good backgrounds:
Entertainer: Acrobatics and Performance
Sailor: Athletics and Perception
Outlander: Athletics and Survival
Urchin: Stealth and Sleight of Hand

Free Skill: Perception or Acrobatics
Class skills: Insight and Medicine
Nature Cleric Skill: Survival or Handle Animal

Fluff and you got whatever you want or need.

I like the fluff of spells being nature's gifts when the character rage strikes or whatever.

Bane-Wordsmith
2015-05-18, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys, that gives a lot of perspective. I might dip one level in Barbarian to begin with and roll with that. I may decide later in the campaign to go 15/5, but it's good to now what the options are.