PDA

View Full Version : DM fatigue and Star Wars requests

fireinthedust
2007-04-20, 10:47 AM
DM Fatigue is where a forum member wants to be in a game. "I want to play..." game, right? like I see the Shackled City or the Eberron Campaign Setting book, and thinks "wow, that looks like fun".
then there's no one running that game (or your homebrewed world you like so much) so you run it yourself. Then, realizing you wanted to play in it in the first place, not DM as that's hard, you dump the game and stop posting.

How does one skip the whole messy process and just get someone else to run a game for them?

Like, I want to play a d20 star wars game right now (not evil, something heroic), but not run it. And I want it to feel like SERENITY the series, with depth, emotion and saga (so RP quality). And I want the whole 3 planets rule for the plot, regardless of what it is.

What should I do to orchestrate this event?

your thoughts, world.

storybookknight
2007-04-20, 11:29 AM
Go to the OOC recruiting thread and post a "Game looking for players and DM" thread. I've seen several successful ones.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-04-20, 11:58 AM
Fireinthedut, I feel your pain. I have this "DM Fatigue" IRL, and no way out. I hope you can make storybookknight's suggestion work for you, and can find a DM who can get it right. That last may pose a bigger problem than the first, and you won't know until the game's already underway, though.

Matthew
2007-04-20, 08:07 PM
Go to the OOC recruiting thread and post a "Game looking for players and DM" thread. I've seen several successful ones.
Good idea, that.

Yeah, I know this pain. I have the complete collection of Myriador Fighting Fantasy Conversion Modules (1-8, 9 & 10 are on indefinite hiatus), but have yet to read one of them, as I am trying to convince somebody else to run them. I want to play a character who faces off against the Warlock of Firetop Mountain!

fireinthedust
2007-04-21, 02:08 AM
Thing is I've got all these modules that rock. Shackled City, sunless citadel, various dungeons; back inthe day I had the bloodstone series; mysteries of the moonsea; whatever. Heck, I ahve that spider queen one that was big and high level.
That and all the character building stuff. I could make so many PCs, do some really weird stuff. Heck, that's the main reason I go to Conventions: the demo tables. I won a t-shirt for playing a bard at GenCon 2005!

What's annoying also is that I hate DMing, especially in person. Unless it's the Age of Portals game. I need a minute or three to ad-lib. It's all the pbp!

Saph
2007-04-21, 06:29 AM
Man, I know this problem. I love playing characters, but so often I end up DMing just because no-one else is able to do it.

There's no easy solution. You just have to find a group with a high fraction of DMs. Even then, the best you can hope for is that you'll get to play in one good game for every good game you run.

- Saph

fireinthedust
2007-04-21, 10:27 AM
here's an interesting fact. this is a fact. back home one of the big gamers I hang out with, talk to online, who always wants me to DM for him was a DM for the RPGA, and is getting into having his writing published. Great guy, amazing powergamer (the things he can do with rules...), HATES DMING WITH A PASSION.

shocking?

we played a game, me and his buddies, all of whom reduced me to a gibbering mass of drool BECAUSE none of them wanted to DM, and I'm a sucker. I've been at it for gosh, 11 years now, read every book, whatever; firtually no playing experience except pbp. live games are rare.

Even worse, I think that running an actual live game is becoming a dying art outside of the Rpga; I can't even find folks for that anywhere who want to run it. pbp is the future, i think. means modules published will all be one pagers, as games'll break up after three months before we leave the inn!

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-21, 11:24 AM
Wow, my group has about 3 people who want to Dm(myself included), all of whom are at the same experience level.

Then again, not all of our sessions go smoothly...

Diggorian
2007-04-21, 12:03 PM
Finding someone to DM-to-Order has got to be nigh impossible, unless ya pay them. "Please read all these books and use them to create something original that will entertain me for several hours weekly. I'll pay you in gratitude."

Barring that, I'm thinking you have to settle for games that exist and are close to what you want. If not D20 Star Wars, then Serenity RPG, D20 Future, Alternity, Traveller something similar. Once in, try to shape the story to the kind ya want. Shining as the stand out player that gives life to the plot will give ya some influence on what the DM runs. Be a DM pet to pet the DM.

Otherwise, I say you gotta run a group and hope get a player to DM.

Theodoxus
2007-04-21, 12:12 PM
Meetup.com is the best site I've ever found for live players and DMs. I've gotten into 3 games off that site, and have added a few players to my own game from it. Perhaps there aren't any players in your area, but it'd have to be pretty small not to support a meetup group.

http://dnd.meetup.com/ specifically for us geeks - though you could probably find people there who do whatever hobby you're into.

Hope it helps.

Theo