PDA

View Full Version : undead query

LairdMaon
2015-05-16, 08:29 PM
I need an undead template that keeps the special qualities of the subject. Keeping levels would be nice, too.

Any ideas?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-16, 08:34 PM
Necropolitan (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/necropolitan.shtml) does exactly what you're asking for humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

Flickerdart
2015-05-16, 08:34 PM
The Bone Creature template from BoVD is exactly what you want.

LairdMaon
2015-05-16, 08:36 PM
Nice, got anything for a magical beast?

Edit: Bone creature might be perfect for my goals!

EisenKreutzer
2015-05-16, 08:36 PM
Lich gets to keep all special qualities.

LairdMaon
2015-05-16, 08:43 PM
Bone creature wins!

Now to create the final goal:
Elsewhale bone creature.
Named Taxi.

Edit:
Um... How to make it fly...

Flickerdart
2015-05-16, 09:06 PM
Edit:
Um... How to make it fly...
Any previously-winged Bone Creature retains the ability to fly. Half-Fey or Winged template should suffice.

LairdMaon
2015-05-16, 09:30 PM
Alright, Winged Elsewhale Bone Creature.

No meat frees up passenger/cargo space. Install seating and carve hand holds into the skeletal structure for added comfort. Siege weapons from the eyes. Archer ports from the rib cage. Permanently installed riverine barding protects crew from unpleasant weather and provides support for the rearward storage area.

I'm becoming to think Taxi is the wrong name...

Ettina
2015-05-16, 09:32 PM

No meat frees up passenger/cargo space. Install seating and carve hand holds into the skeletal structure for added comfort. Siege weapons from the eyes. Archer ports from the rib cage. Permanently installed riverine barding protects crew from unpleasant weather and provides support for the rearward storage area.

That sounds wonderfully and ridiculously awesome.

mabriss lethe
2015-05-16, 09:41 PM
Don't forget to spellstitch!

LairdMaon
2015-05-16, 09:46 PM
Don't forget to spellstitch!

Love it!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that come out to a mere 14hd for the purpose of commanding? I'm not the best with necromancy, bit I'm trying to learn.

Saintheart
2015-05-17, 06:22 AM

Not if it's short for Taxidermist. Attack me and get stuffed.

LairdMaon
2015-05-17, 04:55 PM
The Taxidermist...
Absolute perfection!

Any thoughts on low HD ranged undead firepower to use the ribs/arrow slits?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-17, 05:09 PM
The Taxidermist...
Absolute perfection!

Any thoughts on low HD ranged undead firepower to use the ribs/arrow slits?

Diminutive flying undead (bats, maybe?) with Destruction Retribution make for effective bombs (have them fly into position high above the enemy and then command them to fall), especially if you have enough that you can overlap their blast areas. And if you only have a few targets to kill, you can stack the bats vertically before they drop for a lot of burst damage.

LairdMaon
2015-05-17, 05:15 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!1!!

I laughed so hard at the image of that!

My sides hurt!

jiriku
2015-05-17, 05:28 PM
At 1-HD each, +7 to hit and 2d6 damage, pixie skeletons with light crossbows and +1 flaming bolts are economical with both your money and your control limit. Put a shrine to your deity on the Taxidermist and desecrate it, and that attack bonus increases to +9. Haste them during combat and you get +10 to hit with two attacks per round.

LairdMaon
2015-05-17, 05:51 PM
I think the pixie idea works out better in the long run, heh

Ellowryn
2015-05-17, 06:53 PM
Do note that you have a few things to worry about. #1 being a cleric of only minor level with the sun domain and poof goes Taxi. This is easily negated by keeping large crates of cheap undead tied to the outside of the hull to soak up turn HD, or by permanently inscribing a life ward on your undead. I would also recommend continuous obscuring mist traps that can be activated when in transit in order to obscure your travel.

Also, if you are going to take Destructive Retribution i would recommend NOT using it on Taxi, just in case. :smalltongue:

Edit: And Elsewhales? Where are they from?

LairdMaon
2015-05-17, 07:24 PM
Edit: And Elsewhales? Where are they from?

Planar Handbook, pg 177

And perhaps keep a quell, Epic Level Handbook, on hand to deal with clerics?

Flickerdart
2015-05-17, 08:09 PM
Do note that you have a few things to worry about. #1 being a cleric of only minor level with the sun domain and poof goes Taxi. This is easily negated by keeping large crates of cheap undead tied to the outside of the hull to soak up turn HD, or by permanently inscribing a life ward on your undead.
Hah, ablative undead! I love it. Make sure they have Destruction Retribution so if they are destroyed, they heal neighbouring undead and the carrier whale.