PDA

View Full Version : Can you "hustle" while flying?

Hiro Quester
2015-05-16, 09:33 PM
Can a creature (or wildshaped Druid) like an eagle hustle while flying?

That is, if you have a fly speed of 80 feet per round, can you hustle to fly at double speed, or "run" at 3x or even 4x speed, as you can while running across the ground?

I guess this would also apply to swimming for a creature with a swim speed.

Troacctid
2015-05-16, 09:44 PM
Yes, that's allowed. I'm pretty sure you can hustle using any movement mode, except, like, falling. You probably can't hustle while falling.

Hiro Quester
2015-05-16, 10:05 PM
I see it's explicitly mentioned (in swim skill) that a creature with a swim speed can use the run action., if it swims in a straight line. I can't see it explicitly mentioned about flying, though. Not even for a hawk or eagle.

In movement modes, it's mentioned that a creature with a 40 ft movement speed doesn't walk in combat, but hustles, so they move that in a move action part of the round. Any creature can take two move actions as part of their turn. Unless there's something unique about flying with wings that makes hustling impossible?

Curiously, I think IRL a falcon or hawk makes a diving attack by using falling for a speed boost. Eagles are mentioned as preferring to attack while diving.

Troacctid
2015-05-16, 10:14 PM
Curiously, I think IRL a falcon or hawk makes a diving attack by using falling for a speed boost. Eagles are mentioned as preferring to attack while diving.

This is accounted for in the flight rules--you move at double speed when flying downward.

eggynack
2015-05-16, 10:57 PM
This one is pretty straightforward. " A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line." (Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly))

Hiro Quester
2015-05-17, 12:28 AM
I knew there had to be a rule somewhere. Thanks, Eggynack.

Curmudgeon
2015-05-17, 07:56 AM
That is, if you have a fly speed of 80 feet per round, can you hustle to fly at double speed, or "run" at 3x or even 4x speed, as you can while running across the ground?
Hustling is your speed. If you're asking if you can take two move actions at that speed in a round, that's a definite yes.
A character moving his or her speed twice in a single round, or moving that speed in the same round that he or she performs a standard action or another move action is hustling when he or she moves. D&D uses the same mechanisms for the various movement modes (though with extra complications for aerial maneuverability). But if you're just talking pure movement speed it all works the same.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-17, 08:50 AM
On a similar note, can you take a 5-foot step while flying/climbing/swimming?

Curmudgeon
2015-05-17, 09:00 AM
If you've got a listed speed for the movement mode, and that speed is greater than 5', you can take a 5' step. There are restrictions about the directions in which you're allowed to take a 5' step in the air based on your maneuverability, and quite often you'll immediately stall because 5' won't meet the minimum forward speed requirement, but you can take that 5' step.

Twurps
2015-05-17, 09:05 AM

From the SRD: 'You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.' That would imply it's possible for other movement modes than walking. However (also SRD):
'You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement.' so you can't use it while flying unless you have perferct maneuverability and weren't moving. (Or unless you were plummeting, I guess?? lets not go into that one...)

finally:'You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain'. Climbing would count as traversing difficult terrain, so not while climbing.

Based on the above, if you have a swimspeed, and weren't moving, you can take a 5 foot step.
If you're flying with perfect maneuverability, you can take a 5 foot step.

nyjastul69
2015-05-17, 02:27 PM
From the SRD: 'You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.' That would imply it's possible for other movement modes than walking. However (also SRD):
'You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement.' so you can't use it while flying unless you have perferct maneuverability and weren't moving. (Or unless you were plummeting, I guess?? lets not go into that one...)

finally:'You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain'. Climbing would count as traversing difficult terrain, so not while climbing.

Based on the above, if you have a swimspeed, and weren't moving, you can take a 5 foot step.
If you're flying with perfect maneuverability, you can take a 5 foot step.

In addition, a creature with good maneuverability can also take a 5' step without stalling.

Hawkstar
2015-05-17, 04:06 PM
Hustling is the "Default" tactical speed, so yes, yes they can Double Move while flying.