PDA

View Full Version : Energy Abjuration - too strong?

bedablachem
2007-04-20, 12:02 PM
What do you think - is the Energy Abjuration feat from the CM too strong?

For example:
A 3rd lvl Wizard casting an extended Alarm would get a free one-shot energy resistance of 10 lasting 12 hours.

Heck, at 5th lvl you can cast Explosive Runes and have your one-shot energy resistance of 20 waiting permanently...

Baskineli
2007-04-22, 01:42 AM
What about Fiery Burst? For keeping a 2nd or higher fire spell, you can create a 5 foot radius burst of fire, in 30 feet range, dealing d6 damage for each level of the fire spell you keep, with reflex save halving the damage.

On one hand, it means dealing a very nice amount of damage every round, without using a single spell. It is sort of unlimited fireball, but only within 30 feet (instead of 400 feet that fireball grants) and 5 foot area (instead of 20 that fireball grants).

On the other hand, it means loosing a feat.

Then again, you could always buy a fireball wand.

What do you think?

Arbitrarity
2007-04-22, 01:06 PM
Nope, all of those pretty much are junk, except MAYBE at really low levels. The only thing the wizard needs at higher levels is more actions, and wasting a standard action to do 3d6 to one guy, instead of 10d6 to 5, is not a good use of actions, and thus, a feat.

Energy resistance, actually, doesn't sound too bad, but reserve feats are mostly junk.

Variable Arcana
2007-04-22, 01:44 PM
Depends...

Most of the Reserve feats look really great, until you start reading about how they've been nerfed. E.g. Dimension Door, at will! But... not farther than you could move, and you have to be able to see the spot, and...

But, I do like Minor Shapeshifter... (especially for the temporary hit points, replenishable as a swift action)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-22, 02:10 PM
Remember that even if you use an exceptionally long spell, the energy resistance only works against the first attack to which you are exposed. So, like the explosive runes you cast to obtain the resistance, it's only permanent until discharged. Good chance your runes could last longer than the resistance there.

bedablachem
2007-04-22, 08:46 PM
Nope, all of those pretty much are junk, except MAYBE at really low levels. The only thing the wizard needs at higher levels is more actions, and wasting a standard action to do 3d6 to one guy, instead of 10d6 to 5, is not a good use of actions, and thus, a feat.
Guess you're right. That means it's a terrific power at low levels, but almost useless at higher levels...

Remember that even if you use an exceptionally long spell, the energy resistance only works against the first attack to which you are exposed. So, like the explosive runes you cast to obtain the resistance, it's only permanent until discharged. Good chance your runes could last longer than the resistance there.That's exactly what I said above. It's a one-shot protection each time. Considering this, is the feat too powerful?

Zagreen
2007-04-23, 03:42 PM
The problem with the strategy of casting explosive runes for one-shot energy resistance is that once your energy resistance is discharged, you still have the old runes sitting around and need to cast another explosive runes spell to get resistance for the next attack.

Which means, sooner or later, you're going to find yourself saying "What am I supposed to do with a box full of active explosive runes?"

And you just know nothing good is ever going to come of that question.

As for the real topic, it really isn't. You have to spend a feat for the privilege of using up spell slots on one-shot energy resistance. It gives a nice bonus to abjuration spells you cast anyway e.g. magic circles, shield, protection from arrows, but the idea of casting long-term abjurations you don't need just for the energy resistance is pretty useless. There are better things to use your spells for.

If you're really desperate to get energy resistance you don't have to spend a turn casting resist energy to get, just use Energy Aegis from PHB II instead of using a feat on this.

Macrovore
2007-04-23, 10:01 PM
Which means, sooner or later, you're going to find yourself saying "What am I supposed to do with a box full of active explosive runes?"
use it on a stupid psychotic halfling ranger/barbarian who has an unconscious lust for you.

bedablachem
2007-04-24, 09:40 AM
Which means, sooner or later, you're going to find yourself saying "What am I supposed to do with a box full of active explosive runes?"Donate them to the town library, claiming they are short stories for children, naturally ::smalltongue:

As for the real topic, it really isn't. You have to spend a feat for the privilege of using up spell slots on one-shot energy resistance. It gives a nice bonus to abjuration spells you cast anyway e.g. magic circles, shield, protection from arrows, but the idea of casting long-term abjurations you don't need just for the energy resistance is pretty useless. There are better things to use your spells for.Gotcha. I still think it's very useful, but I understand now it's not too strong. Thanks :smallsmile:

Collin152
2007-04-24, 10:18 PM
Box of Exploding runes? Cast and fail a dispel mgic attempt on it after strategic placement. Boom!