PDA

View Full Version : Samus vs Master Chief

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 12:12 PM
I was watching the best fan video ever (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Md-QkCquOHE) and started to wonder, who would actually win? My money is on Samus. The Chief is cool and all, but Samushas tons of highly advanced weapons and can take way more damage.

Cybren
2007-04-20, 12:55 PM
it all depends on how many modules samus has gotten for the suit.

Jerthanis
2007-04-20, 12:59 PM
I voted for Samus because as cool as the big MC is, Samus is just even cooler somehow. Game mechanics standpoint, they're theoretically equally skilled and Samus has more advanced technology (except for the regenerating shield, but Samus can deal enough damage to overcome that)

Glaivemaster
2007-04-20, 02:15 PM
I've played Halo and Halo 2, and beat them both. I can't even get more than 10 minutes into the first Metroid game. Thus, I think it stands to reason that Samus would win, since she can beat the tougher challenges

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 02:20 PM
Samus...no matter what. Sorry but the master chief is cool and has luck on his side but Samus has something he dosnt....more then two weapons

Setra
2007-04-20, 02:42 PM
Gonna have to go with Samus on this one, Master Chief is cool (especially as a chick like in that video), but I can't see him beating Samus.

Alex Kidd
2007-04-20, 02:45 PM
Samus.

Master Cheif is good. But Samus is intergalactic genocide on legs.

MC takes a relatively realistic beating to go down(by sci fi FPS scale obviously), Samus can take more damage than almost any other character.

Plus you know quintuple homing missiles. MCs used to one non homing rocket, 5 highly accurate missiles with incredible concussive force?

There are many other points but I can't be bothered beyond this last silly one.

Internet logic, Samus kills PIRATE NINJAS. Really.

Cybren
2007-04-20, 03:22 PM
Unless of course MC jumps her before she even gets the rolling ball.

Ranis
2007-04-20, 03:23 PM
Master Chief would smoke all.

Seriously. A genetically superior-more-android-than-human in an armor that augments his reflexes and biological processes by a hundred versus a talented girl in crimson armor? Psh. Chief all the way.

And for the record, the maker of this video linked above says in the comments underneath it that the "spartan" depicted is NOT the Master Chief.

Cybren
2007-04-20, 03:28 PM

Seriously. A genetically superior-more-android-than-human in an armor that augments his reflexes and biological processes by a hundred versus a talented girl in crimson armor? Psh. Chief all the way.

And for the record, the maker of this video linked above says in the comments underneath it that the "spartan" depicted is NOT the Master Chief.
Well Samus suit is probably far more advanced than the armor chief wears. Unless Chief has an integrated energy weapon that can fire burning plasma that also freezes things but at the asme time passes harmlessly through structures.

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 03:41 PM

Samus has enhanced abilities from being infused with chozo blood. She isn't just "a talented girl in crimson armor," she's en enhanced human wearing a battle armor with all kinds of advanced weapons, abilities, and incredible durability.

Ranis
2007-04-20, 07:46 PM
Samus has enhanced abilities from being infused with chozo blood. She isn't just "a talented girl in crimson armor," she's en enhanced human wearing a battle armor with all kinds of advanced weapons, abilities, and incredible durability.

And MC isn't?

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 08:00 PM
The MC has fewer and less advanced weapons, one ability (none if you don't count his shield as an ability) and can't stand up to as much punishment. I'd say Samus has a definite edge.

Indon
2007-04-20, 08:11 PM
I'm going to go with 'depending on how upgraded the suit is'.

Unpowered Samus can shoot a weak plasma cannon intermittently, can (maybe, this doesn't come with the initial package) curl up into a ball for maneuverability, and, like, run and stuff.

Fully-powered Samus can fly (Space jump), shred things she strikes apart while flying (Screw attack), stand inches from molten lava comfortably (Varia suit upgrade), and take ridiculously massive amounts of damage (Energy tanks, armor upgrades); 1,000 points of energy is enough to take what, the equivalent of twenty missiles to the face?

Unupgraded Samus stands little chance. Upgraded Samus barely notices Master Chief's attacks, and has a vast array of weapons with which to effectively counterattack.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 08:31 PM
And MC isn't?

Not up to Samus's level. Master Chief is a marvel of human engineering, true, but Samus is a marvel of Chozo engineering. The Chozo were freaking transcendent beings. They had the capability to create entirely new species, species which, incidentally, are themselves completely inexplicable by all other contemporary science (see the Metroid Fusion manual). Let's have a look at Samus's powers:

A powerful shield which, though it can't regenerate on its own like MC's, can take an insane amount of punishment.
Homing missiles, which can be fired a few seconds apart. MC isn't agile enough to simply break the lock, incidentally. At any given time, she has anywhere from five to over two hundred of these babies available.
A rapid-fire energy beam weapon. Her Power Beam's RoF is comparable to that of a needler. Unlimited ammo.
An electrical beam weapon. Also unlimited ammo.
The "Ice Beam," which freezes opponents solid. Again, unlimited ammo.
A weapon which fires an insanely powerful, coherent bolt of plasma. Guess how much ammo she has.
The Morph Ball: Compresses Samus into a sphere about one foot in diameter. She can still roll around at normal speeds. This could make her very hard to hit, plus it's just another example of how insanely advanced Chozo technology is.
Power Bombs (droppable in Morph Ball mode), which are extremely powerful. In fact, I'd be willing to say that a single Power Bomb would suffice to kill Master Chief instantly. Blast radius is anywhere from around five feet to "the entire screen," depending on the game. Once she sets one, MC only has about a second to get out (roughly thrice as long for the "whole screen" variety, but he's pretty much dead in that case anyway). Oh, and she's immune to her own Power Bombs. Luckily for MC, Samus has very few of these.
Effective flight, thanks to the Space Jump. She's not very maneuverable, but that's still better than what MC can do.
Screw Attack makes Samus essentially invincible during flight. Also, she instantly kills anything she touches in Screw Attack mode.
A wide assortment of other abilities that, for the sake of this fight, I'm filing under "miscellaneous."What's MC got again? Two guns of his choice, a dinky little sheild that has the advantage of recharging (Samus can kill him in a few good hits, but if he manages to stay hidden he can recharge), and superhuman athletic ability? Not that I'm saying he's not really powerful, which he is, but seriously, Samus is a god compared to him. A lot of it has to do with the genres (in an FPS, your challenge is surviving, while in an adventure game, enemies are a minor nuisance while you hunt down whatever it is your looking for), but I would never bet on Master Chief in any fight against a decently-powered Samus.

Ranis
2007-04-20, 08:32 PM
You have to remember that these are two completely different universes from two completely different games made by two different companies.

There is absolutely no accurate way to compare their armor.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 09:11 PM
In a straight arena-style fight, Johnny Boy has little to no chance, because, if nothing else, Samus's weapons are just plain batsh!t loco, compared to John's semi-realistic, if futuristic, arms and armor, just completely overriding his recorded logic-defying ability to roll 20's. My vote reflects this, as arena contests tend to be the general flavor of these threads.

But, in a paintball-style match? With both set one either side of a large, urban environment, and told "This person is your target?". Chief wins, hands down. Why? Three reasons:
1. 20 ranks in Hide, Move Silently, Listen, and Spot
2. 20 ranks in Knowledge: (Warfare & Tactics) with the Skill Focus feat.
3. He has managed to take the leadership feat 30 or so times, with each cohort miraculously at his ECL.

Here's how it would go:
1. Both sides move out. SPARTANs move slowly, silently, and in very wide formation to keep from getting detected.
2.Someone makes contact with Samus, and is nigh-instantly defeated.
3. With each defeat, SPARTANs learn to stay the hell away unless conditions are perfect, and move to guerrilla warfare.
4. Either Samus is just completely worn down, or SPARTANs launch a single, perfectly coordinated attack, which, still has a possibility of failure if Samus pulls a new trick out of her hat.
5. Lather, rinse, repeat, until orange chick eats dirt.

Gralamin
2007-04-20, 09:16 PM
You have to remember that these are two completely different universes from two completely different games made by two different companies.

Its funny How I keep hearing this, because it isn't true.

The Game code is the way.
By seeing how much "damage" Samus does, and how much "health" She has, and calculating a % of the size of variable that is allocated to those values, would give you comparable data.
Then Doing the same for MC would give you his relevant stats.

The %'s eliminate two considerations: Game size - smaller variable result in a smaller game size. And the discrepancies due to more space allocated for damages.
If, in all respects, its equal, then it depends on who has the most extra lives.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 09:19 PM

Hence your vote for MC? :smallamused:

Seriously, though we can't do complete statistical comparisons, we can tell not only that Samus is more versatile than MC, but also that Samus's tech level is beyond that of the Halo humans. Also, we can objectively state that Samus can survive any fall completely unharmed while MC cannot. And that MC can be killed quite rapidly by blunt force trauma (the flood, a blow to the back of the head), while Samus shrugs off similar attacks (eg Every enemy in the Metroid series with a ramming attack).

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 09:28 PM
But, in a paintball-style match? With both set one either side of a large, urban environment, and told "This person is your target?". Chief wins, hands down. Why? Three reasons:
1. 20 ranks in Hide, Move Silently, Listen, and Spot
2. 20 ranks in Knowledge: (Warfare & Tactics) with the Skill Focus feat.
3. He has managed to take the leadership feat 30 or so times, with each cohort miraculously at his ECL.

I'm curious as to how this works. Where did you get these numbers? How many stealth levels occur in Halo? Why does MC get thirty other SPARTANs?

Its funny How I keep hearing this, because it isn't true.

The Game code is the way.
By seeing how much "damage" Samus does, and how much "health" She has, and calculating a % of the size of variable that is allocated to those values, would give you comparable data.
Then Doing the same for MC would give you his relevant stats.

The %'s eliminate two considerations: Game size - smaller variable result in a smaller game size. And the discrepancies due to more space allocated for damages.
If, in all respects, its equal, then it depends on who has the most extra lives.

By that argument, I could make an RPG starring Wimpy McWimpington, the wimpiest man on Earth. He has one hit point, and his wimpy attack always deals one point of damage. That's 100% of his health, so Wimpy McWimpington is an omnipotent demigod who could surely crush such fools as Samus and Master Chief.

Or if you meant % of enemy health: Meet BJ the Bully. He's a fully grown man in a nursery who's decided to kill all the infants. His "stamp on head" attack deals several times more damage than is necessary to kill even the strongest of his foes. Ergo, he is far stronger than any other video game character.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 09:38 PM
Hence your vote for MC? :smallamused:

Seriously, though we can't do complete statistical comparisons, we can tell not only that Samus is more versatile than MC, but also that Samus's tech level is beyond that of the Halo humans. Also, we can objectively state that Samus can survive any fall completely unharmed while MC cannot. And that MC can be killed quite rapidly by blunt force trauma (the flood, a blow to the back of the head), while Samus shrugs off similar attacks (eg Every enemy in the Metroid series with a ramming attack).

Whoa there. John has gotten upgrades. No falling damage anymore. The only reason he dies if he falls off the map is that it would take FOREVER for him to actually hit the ground, because Bungie didn't put any down there. And, that thing with the wrench was a fluke. A fluke I tells ya!

I'm curious as to how this works. Where did you get these numbers? How many stealth levels occur in Halo? Why does MC get thirty other SPARTANs?
Well, I guess I did assume too much on the SPARTANs' numbers. If I recall correctly, there's only 3-6 SPARTAN-II's left, and a similar number of SPARTAN-III's, who are slightly less effective because of their cheaper armor. But, there is the other side of the Leadership coin; followers. Marines can substitute for the "First Contact" phase of the plan. Messy, but necessary.

As for stealth, it's not very prevalent in the games, but its most certainly there, and in the books it's all over the place. 3-4 SPARTANs infiltrated a mobile attack platform filled with Covenant soldiers and their highest technology. Not to mention getting past the several hundreds of warships docking with it. That takes some mad moxie. They suffered one casualty, but completely obliterated the entire platform, along with all but a scant dozen Covie ships who were severely damaged.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 09:42 PM
also removing Samus's suit takes away all her powers so thats like saying a prison inmate could kick the crap out of a toddler.....lets not try to make things silly by removing things people, if you want to see how that turns out go see the Link V. Sephi thread.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 09:52 PM
Meh, I just wanted to joke about how Samus couldn't sway John by way of gratuitous T&A.

Edit: Offending statements removed, in hopes of preserving the good humor of the thread.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 09:54 PM
you also forget that we have never really seen her out of a suit....so for all you know her skin could be the texture of leather and the color of pixie stick vomit

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 09:55 PM
Like Nintendo would ever let that happen. Imagine the plummeting merch sales...

Gralamin
2007-04-20, 10:00 PM
By that argument, I could make an RPG starring Wimpy McWimpington, the wimpiest man on Earth. He has one hit point, and his wimpy attack always deals one point of damage. That's 100% of his health, so Wimpy McWimpington is an omnipotent demigod who could surely crush such fools as Samus and Master Chief.

Or if you meant % of enemy health: Meet BJ the Bully. He's a fully grown man in a nursery who's decided to kill all the infants. His "stamp on head" attack deals several times more damage than is necessary to kill even the strongest of his foes. Ergo, he is far stronger than any other video game character.

You obliviously do not understand programming.

lets say Someones health is represented by an unsigned 8-bit integer. Out of this amount, he has a maximum of 64. 255 is the maximum of an unsigned 8-bit integer, thus he would have 25% (64/255).

Now take Final Fantasy character which data would be stored in a 16-bit integer (maximum of 65535). Since most have a maximum of 9999, they would have 15%.

I know the system has a few errors to work out, and I'm working on them.

Vonriel
2007-04-20, 10:01 PM
Actually, we have. Beat Metroid: Fusion at 100% item rate, and you get a very nice picture of Samus in a bikini. Erm, not that I fall for that sort of thing anyway..

From what I hear, this isn't an uncommon occurance either. At least one other Metroid game allows for seeing an unsuited Samus. For the record, she's a blonde in fusion.

Edit: Forgot the part about having to wait through the credits.

Alex Kidd
2007-04-20, 10:02 PM
You guys obviously haven't beaten a 2d Metroid in a decent time huh? Or seen the SSBB trailer.

Her appearance does vary though she's always about 6'4'', blonde, athletic and attractive. And yes even without the suit she is still superhuman.

Put simply Master Chief is good, but this question is like asking who would win out of MC and one of the guys from Battlefield. She's just a couple of classes above.

tgva8889
2007-04-20, 10:10 PM
"On second thought, maybe you shouldn't have stolen that power-up."
"Look, I told you, she was dead when I got there!"
"Yeah, maybe that's because you sniped her!"
- Master Chief and Cortana, TSAH2

I think even with her suit, Master Chief could kill her. All he has to do is punch her with all his strength. I think that'd probably do a lot of damage. If he got a running start, he'd deal even more damage. Heck, if he just ran into her at a running speed, he'd probably deal some damage. Remember, in the game, Master Chief is jogging.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 10:10 PM
I was under the influence that Samus's continued combat effectiveness in Smash was the Zero Suit and that pistol-sword.

Cybren
2007-04-20, 10:17 PM
"On second thought, maybe you shouldn't have stolen that power-up."
"Look, I told you, she was dead when I got there!"
"Yeah, maybe that's because you sniped her!"
- Master Chief and Cortana, TSAH2

I think even with her suit, Master Chief could kill her. All he has to do is punch her with all his strength. I think that'd probably do a lot of damage. If he got a running start, he'd deal even more damage. Heck, if he just ran into her at a running speed, he'd probably deal some damage. Remember, in the game, Master Chief is jogging.
But uhm.... when samus runs at her running speed she glows with friction...

Alex Kidd
2007-04-20, 10:18 PM

So wait Master Chief is stronger, than a planet destroying spider the size of an office building now? Cause that thing can stomp right on Samus with razor sharp claws and only do a little damage. His fist has the fist of dozens of rockets? Wow why isn't he picking up and throwing Wharthogs as an attack? Wait Samus has ignored projectile attacks like that too.

On the sniper rifle, doesn't work. Talk to Trace from Hunters. Or you know the burning remains of his face.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 10:25 PM
also removing Samus's suit takes away all her powers so thats like saying a prison inmate could kick the crap out of a toddler.....lets not try to make things silly by removing things people, if you want to see how that turns out go see the Link V. Sephi thread.

you also forget that we have never really seen her out of a suit....so for all you know her skin could be the texture of leather and the color of pixie stick vomit

Aside from the conclusion of every 2D Metroid game (which as noted above shows that Samus is quite attractive in a bikini), at the end of Metroid: Zero Mission (which I haven't actually played, but I've heard about this)
Samus gets to go on a brief jaunt sans armor. She's quite athletic and has a stun gun--presumably the armor is designed to make her work a little to keep in good physical condition. In fact, "Zero Suit Samus" has been seen in the trailers for the next Super Smash Brothers. No, there's no way she could be MC if she wore the Zero Suit, but she's not exactly helpless. Well, except before MC: Somehow I think the SPARTAN armor is just a touch more resilient than Space Pirate exoskeletons.

You obliviously do not understand programming.

lets say Someones health is represented by an unsigned 8-bit integer. Out of this amount, he has a maximum of 64. 255 is the maximum of an unsigned 8-bit integer, thus he would have 25% (64/255).

Now take Final Fantasy character which data would be stored in a 16-bit integer (maximum of 65535). Since most have a maximum of 9999, they would have 15%.

I know the system has a few errors to work out, and I'm working on them.

No, I do understand programming. I also understand that health systems are relative. Say I've got a character with five hearts in the upper left-hand corner of the screen versus a character with 255 hit points. Are you really going to say that the latter is automatically more powerful than the former? For all we know, the latter guy is taking 98 damage from the enemy mooks.

Heck, now that I think about it: Compare Mario Brothers II (American version) to Super Mario RPG. It's exactly the same thing: In the former, Mario has a few hearts, while in the latter, he's got an HP system (up to 255, if you take all the Health bonuses). So, Mario vs Mario means that Mario is stronger in SMRPG?

Alex Kidd
2007-04-20, 10:31 PM
Well you can sort of compare there health by looking at comparable weapons.

The gatling guns in MP2 only do minimal damamge to Samus. Bullets are not a worry to her.

She can take dozens of rockets, barrel explosions or kamikaze jetpacks. MC stands next to a barrel going up and he's in big trouble. Hey I'll be nice and say the phazon barrels are at the same level of boom as the Halo ones.

Really Samus is just bigger and better.

averagejoe
2007-04-20, 10:33 PM
Samus probably could take the chief in a straight fight. HOWEVER, the chief does get a tank.

Seriously, though, why do they have to be fighting? The only folks the MC has more in common with are the ones from Stargate. I mean, how much more of a setup do you need?

Alex Kidd
2007-04-20, 10:36 PM
Samus probably could take the chief in a straight fight. HOWEVER, the chief does get a tank.

Then Samus gets her HUNTER class.:smalltongue:

Though yeah them fighting is kind of a never happen kind of thing.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 10:36 PM
ya he does get a tank, but Samus has a space ship

averagejoe
2007-04-20, 10:38 PM
You use the spaceship ingame? Because, if not, then MC just gets a superweapon that wipes out all life in the galaxy. That would be a draw for MC at worst.

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 10:41 PM
Dear People Who Are Trying to Be Serious

Get the stick out of your bum.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 10:42 PM
well since he is apart of the universe....it would be a great cosmic loss on a scale that would give a jedi a very bad head ache

and Dear Gungnir, no?

Gralamin
2007-04-20, 10:43 PM
Aside from the conclusion of every 2D Metroid game (which as noted above shows that Samus is quite attractive in a bikini), at the end of Metroid: Zero Mission (which I haven't actually played, but I've heard about this)
Samus gets to go on a brief jaunt sans armor. She's quite athletic and has a stun gun--presumably the armor is designed to make her work a little to keep in good physical condition. In fact, "Zero Suit Samus" has been seen in the trailers for the next Super Smash Brothers. No, there's no way she could be MC if she wore the Zero Suit, but she's not exactly helpless. Well, except before MC: Somehow I think the SPARTAN armor is just a touch more resilient than Space Pirate exoskeletons.

No, I do understand programming. I also understand that health systems are relative. Say I've got a character with five hearts in the upper left-hand corner of the screen versus a character with 255 hit points. Are you really going to say that the latter is automatically more powerful than the former? For all we know, the latter guy is taking 98 damage from the enemy mooks.

Heck, now that I think about it: Compare Mario Brothers II (American version) to Super Mario RPG. It's exactly the same thing: In the former, Mario has a few hearts, while in the latter, he's got an HP system (up to 255, if you take all the Health bonuses). So, Mario vs Mario means that Mario is stronger in SMRPG?

Thats the problem I'm currently trying to eliminate. I guess if you don't agree with the idea, ignore it until I can post something more concrete.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 10:44 PM
Samus could take MC's tank any day of the week. Roll into Morph Ball mode to become really hard to hit, Boost over to the Tank, and drop a Power Bomb. Alternatively, lock on to the tank and strafe repeatedly while firing Super Missiles. Taking down large, slow-moving enemies is Samus's specialty. Along with walking right over small, weak ones. And just shooting the medium-sized ones. And genocide. And destroying whatever planet she's on.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 10:46 PM
lets not forget about destroying planets....the death star dosnt have crap on Samus

averagejoe
2007-04-20, 10:48 PM
well since he is apart of the universe....it would be a great cosmic loss on a scale that would give a jedi a very bad head ache

and Dear Gungnir, no?

It's better than a sure loss, which is what toe to toe would be.

It's called fighting smart, not hard. :smalltongue: Exert yourself dodging and shooting, to inevitably lose, or push a button to loose, but having the other guy lose too? Easy call, easy call.

What stick? I don't see any sticks.

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 10:51 PM

No, it has been confirmed that Samus is a slammin' hotie. (http://www.smashbros.com/en/characters/chara3/img_main.html)

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 10:53 PM
i am aware of this gentlemen, i have played the games and seen Dojo, it was more of a joke to the thread above

Gungnir
2007-04-20, 10:55 PM

and Dear Gungnir, no?

...You...like... having a stick... up your bum.

Moving on, I'm just trying to say that it's no fun to root for the underdog in a situation like this when there's always sitting there with the concrete "NO, IT DOESN'T WORK" thing going on. Me, I'm a big Halo fanboy, and I had a bit of fun thinking of a certain situation where John might win. I still realize that Samus's suit utterly destroys him, but there's no fun in it just saying that and moving on.

Just... I dunno, try and tone down the 1/0 win/lose conditions. Like, look at the movie that started this particular thread. Would anyone have enjoyed that movie NEARLY as much if he had made Master chick fight according to the rules of the Halo universe? Heck no. It would have been over in 5 seconds, giving Samus 3 minutes to mull around waiting for that second wave of Covies to show up. Which she could respond to by blasting them the same way she did that Pelican. Also boring. Pep it up a little bit.

blackout
2007-04-20, 10:56 PM
...What if they worked together to fight off a Space Pirate/Covenant alliance while the Flood wreak havoc in the background in a feud with the Ing?

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 10:59 PM
^Fanboys everywhere would need a change of pants.

blah blay John otherstuff blah

Why do you keep calling him John? I was under the impression that the MC's name was unknown.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 10:59 PM
Well Gungnir, if you want to make a thread about how the fight would go be my guest..but last i checked this is a VS thread, not "How cool and cinimatic we can make the battle", but i could be wrong, the stick is poking my brain....and there goes third grade , and his name is John

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 11:03 PM
...What if they worked together to fight off a Space Pirate/Covenant alliance while the Flood wreak havoc in the background in a feud with the Ing?

They would win. And then Samus would shock the world by going on a geonocidal campaign to slaughter the Covenant.

Incidentally, before I was pre-empted on this fast-moving topic, I was looking for good suitless Samus pictures and found this site (http://www.thisischris.com/feature/2005/samus.html), which shows every single ending photo of Samus in every game.

blackout
2007-04-20, 11:06 PM
You're damn right they would win!

Zakama
2007-04-20, 11:17 PM
Aha! A loophole for this halo playing, not metroid playing kid! from what i've heard, with suits on, samus would win. But, this thread is samus vs master chief, not MC's suit vs. samus's suit. therefore, i think the chief would win. was samus kidnapped at age 6 to be trained in combat until she was 18? (you have to have read the books to get this). MC has pure skill on his side, and there is alot more to him then the games show. Samus has a fancy suit.

averagejoe
2007-04-20, 11:17 PM
They should team up with Boba Fett and become a power trio.

Or some other suitably armored sci fi character. Having trouble thinking of any others.

UglyPanda
2007-04-20, 11:18 PM
Samus can take multiple rockets to the face, Master Chief dies from one to the body. Master Chief can only fire two missiles at a time and then has to reload, Samus can fire many more.

This isn't a fight over who has more skill, Samus's armor is so beyond futuristic that it's a mismatch. Meanwhile, Master Chief's armor technician couldn't figure out how to guard against blunt-force trauma to the back. The match would be a lot closer if they were both unarmored and had a knifefight, but Samus's equipment is just way way too powerful.

blackout
2007-04-20, 11:23 PM
On top of that, just for whackiness, the main character from F.E.A.R. shows up with his Reflex-Mode slo-mo badassness, and just tries to stay alive.

....Do I smell a nerd-o-rama fanfic?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-20, 11:24 PM
no, thats the charred flesh of the F.E.A.R guy

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 11:25 PM
Aha! A loophole for this halo playing, not metroid playing kid! from what i've heard, with suits on, samus would win. But, this thread is samus vs master chief, not MC's suit vs. samus's suit. therefore, i think the chief would win. was samus kidnapped at age 6 to be trained in combat until she was 18? (you have to have read the books to get this). MC has pure skill on his side, and there is alot more to him then the games show. Samus has a fancy suit.

Okay... so... Naked Samus vs Naked Master Cheif? Okay, I'll grant you that victory...

Da Beast
2007-04-20, 11:26 PM

She was found by the Chozo after her entire family was wipped out and trained by them to fight her entire life. I'd say that there about even on childhood training.

blackout
2007-04-20, 11:27 PM
Yeah, he's probably @$^!ed.

blackout
2007-04-20, 11:46 PM
Anyways, back on topic....Masterchiefwins, end of story!

Ryuuk
2007-04-21, 12:01 AM
Okay... so... Naked Samus vs Naked Master Cheif? Okay, I'll grant you that victory...

...I just can't help but post this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=128) comic after seeing that. That doesn't make me immature, does it?

Poison_Fish
2007-04-21, 12:15 AM
No, but it does make you awesome.

By the way, this guy is here to say to hello to all you master chief fans. (http://www.marathon.org/hyperarchive/pictures/marapics/marine_preview2.jpg) Anyway, this marine would be a much more fair match up against Samus on purely fluff related scales.

blackout
2007-04-21, 12:15 AM
.....That disturbs me.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-21, 12:19 AM
where is that from anyway

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 12:35 AM
I think it depends on a variety of factors, not the least of which is fluff VS. game mechanics. In the background MC can dodge/deflect a rocket. Not so much in the game. His armour weighs half a ton, to everyone but him. It amplifies his strength, agility and reflexes to the point where he could pick up a tank if he wanted to.

Another factor is which Samus we're talking about. Metroid Samus had fewer power ups and abilities than the more recent Sami, as well as more aiming and less homing.

A third factor is Cortana. Cortana lends MC several abilities, including code breaking, infiltration software, heightened reflexes (even more so than MJOLNIR armour), and a continual stream of battlefield data. So Samus' suit is better? Not after Cortana shuts it down :smallbiggrin:.

Fourth is feasibility. Samus and MC are, effectively, on the same side. There is no logical reason for them to fight each other. It is far more likely that they would join forces in order to stand a greater chance of defeating any threat. MC is even more badass as part of a team, and Samus could benefit from his tactical plans.

Also, to address the "Two weapons only" point, which seems to have come up a lot. MC carries two weapons in game for balance reasons. While it would be nice to carry around every weapon ever, in order to always have the best tool for the job, it would also eliminate the need for tactical decisions, based on what you have seen so far. A sniper rifle is no good against the flood. When they show up, you drop it for a shotgun. This means you no longer have a sniper weapon for killing covenant at range, but the flood are much easier to kill. MC can, and does, carry more than two weapons at once at a number of points in the background.

Yes, I have too much spare time in which to think about things like this. :smalltongue:

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 12:40 AM
A third factor is Cortana. Cortana lends MC several abilities, including code breaking, infiltration software, heightened reflexes (even more so than MJOLNIR armour), and a continual stream of battlefield data. So Samus' suit is better? Not after Cortana shuts it down.

If I remember correctly, Samus has used her visor in the Prime games to hack Space Pirate stuff and scan things for weaknesses.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 12:46 AM
If I remember correctly, Samus has used her visor in the Prime games to hack Space Pirate stuff and scan things for weaknesses.

Can Samus' visor counteract a hostile hack attempt? :smalltongue: It probably wouldn't have come up in the games. And, assuming Samus can do that, Cortana is then a balancing factor, allowing MC to do similar things.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-21, 12:47 AM
i would assume it could since it can hack...

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 12:55 AM
Can Samus' visor counteract a hostile hack attempt? :smalltongue: It probably wouldn't have come up in the games. And, assuming Samus can do that, Cortana is then a balancing factor, allowing MC to do similar things.

In multiplayer in Prime 2, there was this hacky gadget thing. It wore off after a while ofmessing up the victim's screen, so I'm going to assume that Samus has some sort of anti-hack thingy that kicks in after a while.

Cybren
2007-04-21, 12:59 AM
There's really no reason to believe cortana could hack samus suit considering that's a dumb idea and cortana is rampant anyway

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 01:08 AM
There's really no reason to believe cortana could hack samus suit considering that's a dumb idea and cortana is rampant anyway

Might be rampant. I don't remember Bungie ever confirming or denying that. This is also the same thing as with the various versions of Samus. Pre-Cortana MC was a lot worse at things like encryption and software infiltration, while MC with Cortana had more abilities, as described above. Post-Cortana MC would have the same level of skill at software use as Pre-Cortana MC, but with more experience.

@Magtok: Indeed? Well, even if it took a while to wear off it's still an exploitable weakness. Furthurmore, Cortana is a "smart" AI. She learns from her mistakes and experiences. This could make a difference in a protracted campaign, because Cortana would have more and more chances to find a way around anti-infiltration software.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-21, 01:10 AM
Re: Hacking:

There is an enemy in Metroid Prime 2 (the Rezbit) that can "hack" Samus's suit. This disables her for about a second. However, could Cortana really do that? I haven't read the books, but I thought she had to be physically uploaded into the computer. Otherwise, well, I have to wonder why she didn't just disable the Sentinels that way. Samus is capable of remote hacking, but probably not against cybernetic battle armor (mostly against computer terminals and the like).

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 01:18 AM
Well, if you go by the books Cortana also now has a way to copy herself. The Chief's suit has a communicator, which Cortana can use to project herself wirelessly. She could, theoretically, uplink with any computer system she had had time to form an interface for. The reason she didn't do that to the sentinels is 1: game balance, and 2: the ability was aquired post-Halo.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 01:20 AM
Y'know what would be cool? Villains vs. Villains!

A Metroid Prime Space Pirate versus an Honor Guard Elite (Energy sword guy).

An Omega Pirate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Pirate_%28video_game_species%29#Omega_Pirate ) versus a Hunter!

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 01:22 AM
Metroid Queen VS. Scarab? :smallbiggrin:

blackout
2007-04-21, 01:28 AM
Scarab wins that fight.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 01:29 AM
The Flood versus Ing?

The Flood versus Metroids?

I have a feeling the Flood would lose both times. Ing would simply possess the Flood to take over the world, and Metroids would eat some Phazon or something, and strike with some giant, uber-powerful mega-boss Metroid thing.

Cybren
2007-04-21, 01:31 AM
Metroids can only be killed by coldness or whatever. Are the flood cold?!

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 01:33 AM
Metroids can only be killed by coldness or whatever. Are the flood cold?!

The regular Tallon IV (Prime) Metroids can be killed without the Ice beam. They're also a lot smaller.

blackout
2007-04-21, 01:35 AM
...Flood would just infect that.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 01:37 AM
Flood: Infect anything corporeal

Ing: try to possess flood. Mini-form of flood asplodes, previous host to flood unusable due to manipulation of central nervous system/removal of organs/ickyness

Fairly even match, I'd say. Neither side is able to do anything to the other.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 01:41 AM
Hmmm...Meta-Ridley versus a few dozen Banshees?

blackout
2007-04-21, 01:44 AM
Oh yeah, banshees win. Say, we have, oh, three-dozen banshees. They form into different formations and strike groups. Strike Group 1= first dozen banshees. Strike Group 2, second group, and so on. Each strike group breaks off into two wings, consisting of six banshees each. The wings of Strike Group 3 coordinate their fuel-rod-gun bombing runs with the other two Strike Groups giving them covering fire.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 01:55 AM
What about Elites and Metroid Prime Space Pirates?

They both have some kind of sharp energy weapon, they both have guns, and Space Pirates seem to be weaker but more dodgy.

blackout
2007-04-21, 02:00 AM
Hmm...Elites have regenerating shields. And on Legendary, it's IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL THEM WITHOUT A SNEAK ATTACK OR DEAD-ON HIT WITH A PLASMA GRENADE.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-21, 02:05 AM
From Wikipedia:

Shadow Pirates
Only a select group of Space Pirates have access to cloaking technology; these are the Shadow Pirates. This cloaking technology drains large amounts of power, forcing them to rely solely on melee weapons (energy scythes) in battle. Thermal tracking is still effective for locating Shadow Pirates. Shadow Pirates and Beam Troopers both have a tendency to cling to walls and attack.

Cybren
2007-04-21, 02:11 AM
Don't forget the gold pirates are invincible to everything but the highest upgrade of Samus weapon

blackout
2007-04-21, 02:13 AM
So? Elites have active camoflague too.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-21, 02:21 AM
The Chief is cool and all, but Samushas tons of highly advanced weapons and can take way more damage.
What do you base that assertion on?

Cybren
2007-04-21, 02:26 AM
The weapons are more advanced based on casual observation, but the problem is the differences in their technology and physical strengths is largely reflective of their different genre (and not just in the gamng sense. Halo has a much more modern hard military, almost Tom Clancy-esque feel to it). In a platformer, you do silly things that they just explain is kewl upgraydz. Halo is an FPS, and that genre is driven a lot by the player being afraid of dying so they shoot things

Wyvern_55
2007-04-21, 03:26 AM
Master Chief:
Halo

Samus Aran:
4 space stations
4 Planet based massive military outposts
2.5 Planets
(at least) one speciece that sucks the soul of it's prey

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 04:26 AM
Master Chief:
Halo

Samus Aran:
4 space stations
4 Planet based massive military outposts
2.5 Planets
(at least) one speciece that sucks the soul of it's prey

Chief: *shrugs, pushes button*
All life in universe: Noooo- *dies*

Halo is a pretty significant weapon.

Poison_Fish
2007-04-21, 05:43 AM
where is that from anyway

This is not a comment on you, just my general comment. It always makes me sad when Halo fans have no clue where the roots of Halo are from. Specifically, one of Bungie’s much earlier games from 1994, Marathon (And the subsequent trilogy).

LCR
2007-04-21, 06:00 AM
I haven't really played Metroid, but I did play Smash Brothers. In that game, I have absolutely no problem beating Samus with Pikachu.
Which makes Pikachu the winner.
Yay!

Dib
2007-04-21, 07:06 AM
John pwns Samus any and every day! Why? Cos I'm a die-hard halo fan... all the reasons mentioned above... and Samus hangs around with Mario... a's just asking for an @$$ whupping!

Setra
2007-04-21, 08:35 AM
Is it just me or is this gonna end up turning into the new Link vs. Sephiroth thread.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-21, 08:39 AM
Probably. So I'm going to leave it alone with these few words:

"Beware, yea, who would create an abomination. Because I'll get my fellow Horsemen and kick you in the goolies."

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 08:54 AM
This is not a comment on you, just my general comment. It always makes me sad when Halo fans have no clue where the roots of Halo are from. Specifically, one of Bungie’s much earlier games from 1994, Marathon (And the subsequent trilogy).

I've been meaning to get the freeware versions of marathon for some time now, but whenever I have the spare time, I forget. :smallfrown:

And as for comments on Cortana's Rampancy, I'm pretty sure it's not possible for her to be. She got pretty close while inside Halo, but she never got past the "anger" phase, caused by John's unwitting cooperation with Guilty Spark. After she transferred back to Johnny's armor, there wasn't enough processing "space" for her to continue "growing" in the manner she was, because John's armor isn't a computer the size of a planet.

If there are Halo fanboys who would wish to be educated in the ways of the Marathon, I direct you here. (http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/)

Indon
2007-04-21, 09:19 AM
All right, let's have a more logical contest for these two:

Between Samus Aran and Master Chief, which could destroy Halo faster?

Assume both have rudimentary intelligence which comes in a little at a time (Samus from her sensing-visor-thing and MC from military ops guys or whatever), that it's a multi-objective mission that needs to be tackled one at a time, and that MC has occasional reinforcements of marines and/or a lower-class spartan. Assume also that there's some deus ex machina way for either Samus or MC to destroy Halo (like an exhaust port or something).

Go.

Setra
2007-04-21, 09:22 AM
Samus has more weapons, and speed enhancers, if I remember correctly.

So I go with her.

blackout
2007-04-21, 09:36 AM
Master Chief, because, based on personal experience, he would know the layout of Halo, at least by a minor margin.

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 09:41 AM
Samus has more weapons, and speed enhancers, if I remember correctly.

So I go with her.
Ah, but, despite Samus's better completion time, as far as I know, she only has one ship. The only that Halo could be feasibly be destroyed was the destruction of a ship's fusion core. Any other damage dealt to it was only an inconvenience, a distraction tactic to try and divide Guilty Spark's workforce.

Now, If Samus had no such ship, she would be provided with some other manner to destroy Halo; the Pillar wasn't technically in John's arsenal, so he was lucky to get it. However, she does have a ship. So she's going to have to kamikaze it. Unless she has an equivalent to John's Longsword, she's not going to have a way out, and either dies from the blast, or from the various bits and pieces of Halo plummeting into Threshold's immense gravity well.

Unfortunately for my argument, if she does have some Longsword equivalent, this post is moot.

Setra
2007-04-21, 10:04 AM
Ah, but, despite Samus's better completion time, as far as I know, she only has one ship. The only that Halo could be feasibly be destroyed was the destruction of a ship's fusion core. Any other damage dealt to it was only an inconvenience, a distraction tactic to try and divide Guilty Spark's workforce.

Now, If Samus had no such ship, she would be provided with some other manner to destroy Halo; the Pillar wasn't technically in John's arsenal, so he was lucky to get it. However, she does have a ship. So she's going to have to kamikaze it. Unless she has an equivalent to John's Longsword, she's not going to have a way out, and either dies from the blast, or from the various bits and pieces of Halo plummeting into Threshold's immense gravity well.

Unfortunately for my argument, if she does have some Longsword equivalent, this post is moot.Technically it was to see who could get it destroyed first, it was never said they had to survive it.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-21, 10:13 AM
The weapons are more advanced based on casual observation, but the problem is the differences in their technology and physical strengths is largely reflective of their different genre (and not just in the gamng sense. Halo has a much more modern hard military, almost Tom Clancy-esque feel to it). In a platformer, you do silly things that they just explain is kewl upgraydz. Halo is an FPS, and that genre is driven a lot by the player being afraid of dying so they shoot things

Yes. That's exactly why Samus wins: She comes from a game in which enemies are minor distractions.

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 10:33 AM
Technically it was to see who could get it destroyed first, it was never said they had to survive it.

True. But would she actually hit the button, knowing that her chances for survival were slim to none?

Setra
2007-04-21, 10:33 AM
Yes. That's exactly why Samus wins: She comes from a game in which enemies are minor distractions.
Wasn't Metroid Prime a First Person shooter?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-21, 11:17 AM
Wasn't Metroid Prime a First Person shooter?

All Metroid games would be classified under the "adventure" genre. The Prime series just happens to be in first person view: The enemies still exist only as minor distractions as you explore. A few enemies actually put up a decent fight--until you get the powerup that kills them easily or get enough missiles to blow them away with impunity or just figure out their weaknesses.

Setra
2007-04-21, 11:26 AM
All Metroid games would be classified under the "adventure" genre. The Prime series just happens to be in first person view: The enemies still exist only as minor distractions as you explore. A few enemies actually put up a decent fight--until you get the powerup that kills them easily or get enough missiles to blow them away with impunity or just figure out their weaknesses.
Ah... well honestly I've never played Prime, so I wasn't sure.

blackout
2007-04-21, 11:58 AM
I still say MC wins, because he knows what to avoid and what to kill. Samus would have to be on her toes ALL THE TIME. MC would just use Cortana to track enemy movement and therefore avoid it.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 02:54 PM
What do you base that assertion on?

As has already been stated numerous times throughout the topic Samus can take ungodly amounts of punishment while the MC can't. The MC gets shot with a missile and dies. Samus gets shot with five, laughs, commits genocide and blows up a planet. It's not hard to see who's stronger.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 03:03 PM

Unfortunately for my argument, if she does have some Longsword equivalent, this post is moot.

Samus could probably destroy Halo under her own power.

I haven't really played Metroid, but I did play Smash Brothers. In that game, I have absolutely no problem beating Samus with Pikachu.
Which makes Pikachu the winner.
Yay!

Some of the characters in Smash Bros aren't at full power. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw)

Sailacela
2007-04-21, 03:15 PM
Samus, hands down. My reason is less, ah, pragmatic though. Master Chief is the lamest name for a main character I've ever come across in gaming. It's nice and generic. :smallamused: (I do like the Halo series however) *in my best Ross Perot* "Can I, can I get a proper noun here?"

Indon
2007-04-21, 03:16 PM
Some of the characters in Smash Bros aren't at full power. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw)

Was that the Milky Way?

O.O

Here I was thinking Ness had the heaviest handicap (Seriously, Flash isn't even supposed to do damage)!

blackout
2007-04-21, 03:21 PM
Still, Master Chief wins the popularity contest. Why? Because, no one's EVER SEEN HIS FACE...That, and he's a sheer badass.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 03:24 PM
Red herrings and ad homonyms aside I'd say they have comparable fan basses.

blackout
2007-04-21, 03:35 PM
...Point. Still, Chief in my book is the more kickass. Samus is a close second.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 03:40 PM
I should make that poll. No discussion about which "wins" or why, just which do you like more, Metroid or Halo.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-21, 03:42 PM
I still say MC wins, because he knows what to avoid and what to kill. Samus would have to be on her toes ALL THE TIME. MC would just use Cortana to track enemy movement and therefore avoid it.

What are you saying? If they're in a duel, there's exactly one opponent they need to kill, no?

Was that the Milky Way?

O.O

Here I was thinking Ness had the heaviest handicap (Seriously, Flash isn't even supposed to do damage)!

Some of the comments indicate that it may be a reactor core exploding, not just Captain Falcon's sheer damage output.

Also, yeah, Ness got weakened for SSBM (Flash can "defeat" opponents instantly, and he doesn't even get his signature "deal ridiculous damage to everyone" attack), but it's nothing compared to what they did to Gannodorf, who by all rights shouldn't even be capable of losing to anyone other than Link (besides, in every game, he either uses ranged magic, attacks with swords, or just turns into Ganon. Why is he a Falcon clone?).

blackout
2007-04-21, 03:52 PM
What are you saying? If they're in a duel, there's exactly one opponent they need to kill, no?
Yes, but if MC avoided Samus until she assumes he's retreated, she won't know if he launches some sort of surprise attack, at least not until he's right on top of her with a sniper rifle locked onto her helmet's faceplate.

Setra
2007-04-21, 03:59 PM
Yes, but if MC avoided Samus until she assumes he's retreated, she won't know if he launches some sort of surprise attack, at least not until he's right on top of her with a sniper rifle locked onto her helmet's faceplate.
She's not stupid, besides Samus could do the exact same thing with Homing Missiles or perhaps a sneak attack with a freezing weapon.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 04:06 PM
Some of the comments indicate that it may be a reactor core exploding, not just Captain Falcon's sheer damage output.

Eh, he still desintigrated a guy by punching him.

blackout
2007-04-21, 04:07 PM
Maybe, but she doesn't have an AI or motion tracker to help her know where MC really is. For all she knows, he may have actually fallen back until he can get some better equipment.

Da Beast
2007-04-21, 04:08 PM
What's the MC going to hide behind the Samus can't level?

blackout
2007-04-21, 04:15 PM
The Pillar of Autumn. :P

Indon
2007-04-21, 04:50 PM

I will conveniently ignore this fact so that I can show my friends and we can all laugh at the OMG Falcon Punch joke.

Setra
2007-04-21, 07:26 PM
The Pillar of Autumn. :P
She blows the Reactor Core, then flees on her own ship..

Not only destroying Halo, but MC as well.

This is intended to be humorous, and not taken seriously just to let you know, I have a hard time conveying jokes across the internet.

SKarious
2007-04-21, 07:48 PM
Maybe, but she doesn't have an AI or motion tracker to help her know where MC really is. For all she knows, he may have actually fallen back until he can get some better equipment.

Actually, Samus DOES have a motion detector - in Metroid Prime, it's in the top-left corner of the HUD.

As well as a thermal detector, X-ray/EM detector, and a sonic detector.

blackout
2007-04-21, 07:54 PM
....CURSE YOU SAMUS! CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-*death by rocket*

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-21, 09:56 PM
Samus, hands down. My reason is less, ah, pragmatic though. Master Chief is the lamest name for a main character I've ever come across in gaming. It's nice and generic. :smallamused: (I do like the Halo series however) *in my best Ross Perot* "Can I, can I get a proper noun here?"

Master Chief is actually his rank, not his name. All the human characters are military, and call him by his rank because they don't know his real name. The Covenant call him the Demon because they don't acknowledge puny human ranks. Still, how badass is that?

You know what else would be really cool though? Switch games on them, starting them at the beginning. MC starts in Samus' world, she starts in his. Samus would have to work with only the weapons she finds, MC gets chozo items. :smallbiggrin:

Cybren
2007-04-21, 10:02 PM
I think a more fair fight would be Mega Man X vs Samus anyway. Maybe throw in Ash and Barret for some other "Gun-arm" mayhem

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 11:07 PM
Yeah, John's rank is Master Chief Petty Officer of the UNSC Naval Corp. His only name in official records (which happen to be top secret) is SPARTAN-117.

As far as coolness?

This man was essentially kidnapped at the age of six, was trained mentally and physically 18 hours a day till he was like 17, "received" physical augmentations that improved his muscle mass, speed, reaction times, awareness, and on borderline levels, his intelligence. While recovering from said augmentations, things seemed to fall slower to him, so he recorded a pin's rate of fall, couldn't remember the formula for gravity, and worked out the calculus in his head.

During training post-surgery training, him and his squad where place in a football field-sized simulated jungle, in sweats. Through undisclosed methods, they acquired jet black body suits, face paint and rope to use during training missions, without leaving the room, and without outside help. Their reaction times were literally unchartable at this point.

Did I mention the accidental deaths of several hand-to-hand combat trainers, caused by the SPARTANs', who had yet to become used to their newfound strength?

How can Johnny NOT be cool?

Cybren
2007-04-21, 11:13 PM
Samus has boobies.
Thread over

Gungnir
2007-04-21, 11:33 PM
Samus has boobies.
Thread over

Congratulations, sir! You have truly proven the Infinite Monkeys with Typewriters Theory. Look at that plummeting IQ score, and yet you still manage to write such poetic words, it brings the greatest of men to tears!

Wow, seriously. Most Inane Statement Award, to the man with the pointy cap in the corner.

Cybren
2007-04-22, 01:08 AM
Congratulations, sir! You have truly proven the Infinite Monkeys with Typewriters Theory. Look at that plummeting IQ score, and yet you still manage to write such poetic words, it brings the greatest of men to tears!

Wow, seriously. Most Inane Statement Award, to the man with the pointy cap in the corner.
I think I was more trying to highlight the kuvinile obsession with the silly things master chief does as irrelevent to the discussion as just as many fanbois worship samus for two much more convincing reasons.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 01:17 AM
So you're saying that a number of tactical combat capabilities, as well as impressive physical boosts, are silly? In a thread about combat between two characters? And one wins simply because they're female? I'd say that all the "silly" things Master Chief has done are far more relevant to the discussion than the size of Samus' chest plate, but that's just me. :smalltongue:

*This post is in no way meant to be inflammatory or derogatory. If anyone feels that it is please notify me through PM and I will edit it*

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 01:29 AM
Master Chief is a static character....as is Samus...But Halo has something that lessen's it...a fanboy following that is so mind numbingly rabid that it makes the series as a whole worse. Not that helps with the fight, just a general statement. The only real way MC could win is to use the halo and a "Kill everyone so i don't lose" scenario is a poor way to "win"

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 01:42 AM
Master Chief is a static character....as is Samus...But Halo has something that lessen's it...a fanboy following that is so mind numbingly rabid that it makes the series as a whole worse. Not that helps with the fight, just a general statement. The only real way MC could win is to use the halo and a "Kill everyone so i don't lose" scenario is a poor way to "win"

Assuming it's Samus with all upgrades VS MC, at any rate. Because Samus without upgrades could be defeated pretty easily, as has been said before. Now, MC doesn't get any upgrades during the course of the Halo games, really. The only way for it to be a fair fight would be to pick a point in the Metroid games where Samus' abilities are equivalent to the Chief's.

Icewalker
2007-04-22, 01:47 AM
Master chief is very cool, but Samus is (IMO) definitely cooler, more skilled in combat, and far, FAR more heavily armed.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 01:50 AM
MC is just....nothing more, nothing less. He isnt anything

Falconsflight
2007-04-22, 02:25 AM
I always thought the fight would be unfair because Metroid is either A) from farther in the future than Master Chief (He's in 2552, and her time is... well I don't really know.)
or B) An alternate universe in which humans have had great jumps in technology, unlike in Halo.

Plus, what master chief is wielding isn't what he should be. By that time in the future we will have more advanced weapons than a machine gun. (This may sound like "We should have flying cars" But think about it. 300 years ago, all people had were rifles that, if you were trained well enough, could fire 3 shots in a minute with low accuracy. And now we have machine guns a random guy could use that fire a thousand bullets a minute. The game is 500 years in the future. Ya gotta wonder what happened there.

So yeah. It's not even close to a fair fight. Samus wins with all her better weaponry from the future.

Also, little known Tidbit. Master chief is 40 when he visits halo. (If you have the books, Read the dates.)

328manga
2007-04-22, 08:26 AM
Definately Samus because with the ice beam plus missiles, you've got frozen master chief. Here's the equation:
charged ice beam + Master Chief = frozen human on a stick/covenant food
Oh, I do like Master Chief, I just like Samus better.

Krytha
2007-04-22, 10:45 AM
Samus is an unstoppable Chozo warmachine. That's pretty much all there is to it. The Spartans are good, no doubt, but there's a reason there's only a handful left.

And to all the crossover blah blah? Samus would make do. She wouldn't need her full outfit to complete Halo. MC would get stuck at the first puzzle which required him to roll into a small ball or stick his gun arm into a hole which required massive amounts of Chozo tech to do anything.

Setra
2007-04-22, 11:23 AM
I just went over the fights in multiple platforms from different perspectives.

MC - FPS: He sees Samus, and attempts to open fire with his Rocket Launcher, since it's his strongest Weapon. However Samus, being fast, dodges the slow moving Rocket and Fires a few rockets at Master Chief, the explosions covering everywhere, and since MC dies in one hit from Rockets....

Alternate: MC Unloads with the Fuel Rod Gun, however Samus dodges most of the shots, one or two hits her but doesn't kill her, before it overheats and Samus rockets him to death.

Samus - FPS: She sees Master Chief and unloads rockets on him.

MC - Platformer: MC walks along a path, seeing Samus, unloads with his Flamethrower at short range, Samus quickly rolls into a ball, evading the fire, while backing away, MC switches to Fuel Rod and fires at her as she attempts to change back. Three shots him but Samus' superior technology prevents it from killing her, she then unloads on him with Rockets, he dies.

Yeah most of them end with Samus unloading Rockets onto MC killing him.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-22, 11:39 AM

Correction: a girl, with equaled skills, with a crimson armor with alien outer space high technology armor that far beats any cyborg implant masterchief ever had.

Thing is, Samus is, as someone said, intergalactic genocide.
In Metroid Prime, didn't Samus starts with her full armor? In Fusion, the starting scenes says that she also had her full armor, but had to remove it due to a X-Parasite corrupting it, so Samus doesn't have "Yuna's Syndrome" (losing all her stuff in the beggining of each game), she's just victim of a plot device.

Sailacela
2007-04-22, 01:33 PM
Master Chief is actually his rank, not his name. All the human characters are military, and call him by his rank because they don't know his real name. The Covenant call him the Demon because they don't acknowledge puny human ranks. Still, how badass is that?

*nods* Yes, I'm well aware of that but it's still terribly generic and boring. I figured it was an attempt to "put the player in his shoes" sort of thing. My answer remains unchanged. Samus is a better character and far more interesting.

Setra
2007-04-22, 02:33 PM
Isn't Master Chief a rank in the Navy?

Yes, Master Chief Petty Officer is the highest enlisted naval rank.
Suddenly I have the urge to start singing "In The Navy".

Indon
2007-04-22, 02:46 PM
Yes, Master Chief Petty Officer is the highest enlisted naval rank.

Da Beast
2007-04-22, 03:23 PM
Assuming it's Samus with all upgrades VS MC, at any rate. Because Samus without upgrades could be defeated pretty easily, as has been said before. Now, MC doesn't get any upgrades during the course of the Halo games, really. The only way for it to be a fair fight would be to pick a point in the Metroid games where Samus' abilities are equivalent to the Chief's.

I have yet to hear any arguments about how unupgraded Samus could be easily defeated. People just say "if she isn't an unkillable wargod yet the MC would win easy" but no one seems to have a reason why.

crazedloon
2007-04-22, 03:29 PM
so you are saying why doesnt anyone make an argument about a fight between MC and someone who isnt Samus. Her equipment is what makes her her. Plus her actual combat boosts are unknow (at least to me) I would not be surprised if she is on the exact same level as far as combat ability with MC and indeed she has the exp over MC and thus she would still probably win.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-22, 03:29 PM
I have yet to hear any arguments about how unupgraded Samus could be easily defeated. People just say "if she isn't an unkillable wargod yet the MC would win easy" but no one seems to have a reason why.

Her regular shots could potentially kill MC, but if there's enough cover he can take potshots at her while evading her. It'll be a close match, but MC might be able to win through attrition thanks to his regenerating shield. Once Samus gets Missiles, though, which are usually like the first upgrade, MC's doomed.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-22, 05:46 PM
Samus, gotta give it up to the classics.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-22, 07:05 PM
Samus, because the screw attack can kill anything in one hit.

Gungnir
2007-04-22, 07:12 PM
Now, I still recognize that Sammy just utterly ruins John because of her superior tech, no getting around that. And I'm not saying that this should be an armorless fight, either, that would be cheesy of me. Only reason I still bother is because of my fanboy rabies, and I still try to limit myself to the realm of logic. (I perhaps slightly glean past Samus's obviously superior damage taking capability, but come on, you gotta give me something.)

But how does everyone know how skilled Samus is without her armor? As far as I know, there hasn't been a game where she's without it for any amount of time. Zero Suit doesn't count, it obviously does something.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 07:16 PM
Her regular shots could potentially kill MC, but if there's enough cover he can take potshots at her while evading her. It'll be a close match, but MC might be able to win through attrition thanks to his regenerating shield. Once Samus gets Missiles, though, which are usually like the first upgrade, MC's doomed.

What if the missiles in Samus' world are weaker than MC's? The most common argument here seems to be Missiles = win. Say, for example, it takes Samus three hits with a missile to kill MC. Her regular shots would probably be roughly equivalent to the plasma rifle, so even if she takes the shield out the armour's ablative coating would help dissipate the shots. The shield also prevents anything from actually coming into contact with the armour too. So, if he was fast enough (which he is) the chief could actually deflect the missiles. He's taken a hit from an anti-tank rocket once by deflecting it.

Setra
2007-04-22, 07:24 PM
What if the missiles in Samus' world are weaker than MC's?Chances are, they'd be stronger, if nothing else.

Seems like her world is better off technology wise.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 07:27 PM
Chances are, they'd be stronger, if nothing else.

Seems like her world is better off technology wise.

Ah, but she gets more of them. The rule of video gaming is that anything you find more of is weaker than anything you find less of. :smalltongue:

And I believe I have found a (albeit silly) solution. MC gets a full suit of Chozo armour and all the upgrades as well. They now have exactly the same technology, bringing the contest to skill alone. Who wins?

Jaykell
2007-04-22, 07:36 PM
Yea, giv the chief equal technology and he could kill samus in like 5 seconds

Alex Kidd
2007-04-22, 07:41 PM
Nah Samus would win, she's still better.

Chozo trained ultimate supersoldier woman of prophecy beats some pansy ass marine anyday. Give her MC's tech and MC her tech and he might win but that's it.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 07:46 PM
Nah Samus would win, she's still better.

Chozo trained ultimate supersoldier woman of prophecy beats some pansy ass marine anyday. Give her MC's tech and MC her tech and he might win but that's it.

Replace "Chozo" with "ONI", "woman" with "man" and "prophecy" with "legend" and you've pretty much got the Chief. He has also never been a marine. He's a SPARTAN II.

Logic
2007-04-22, 08:01 PM
The only way I think can be a fair comparison is compare them to their repsective weaker allies. MC's allies can (but rarely do) take out their enemy forces.
Samus is so badass that she has no allies that can ever do her job.

(I say this having never played a Metroid game ever.)

So, Samus wins.

*Psst, and I Like Halo

Lord Magtok
2007-04-22, 08:10 PM
You know what else would be really cool though? Switch games on them, starting them at the beginning. MC starts in Samus' world, she starts in his. Samus would have to work with only the weapons she finds, MC gets chozo items. :smallbiggrin:

I can see it now...:smallbiggrin:

MC: Neat! I got the Morph Ball! *Tries to use it* MY SPINE! Aaaughh!

Samus: What? You say I have to do some Marine guy's job? The hell with that, I'm a bounty hunter! I'm going to go blow up some Space Pirates and get some cold, hard cash. Good luck not getting your universe annihilated by that Halo thingy! Bye! *Waves and takes off in her ship.*

pyrefiend
2007-04-22, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2448335#post2448335)

Do I get to play as Sonic in Super Mario 64?

Gungnir
2007-04-22, 09:04 PM
Do I get to play as Sonic in Super Mario 64?
There's already a Sonic v Mario thread. Go ask there. The idea is funny though.

No answers for my question?

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-22, 09:09 PM
I can see it now...:smallbiggrin:

MC: Neat! I got the Morph Ball! *Tries to use it* MY SPINE! Aaaughh!

Samus: What? You say I have to do some Marine guy's job? The hell with that, I'm a bounty hunter! I'm going to go blow up some Space Pirates and get some cold, hard cash. Good luck not getting your universe annihilated by that Halo thingy! Bye! *Waves and takes off in her ship.*

Random Marine: Umm, Samus? We don't have Space Pirates here. We have Covenant. and they're all holed up on this ring thing that we need someone to blow up in an extraordinarily spectacular fashion. *waves wad of money*
Though the first one is pretty damn funny. What other humourous situations could occur when MC tried to use Chozo stuff?

Gungnir
2007-04-22, 10:14 PM
*fires a few test shots into the ground*
"Hey, this not needing ammo thing is kewl..."
*leaves finger on trigger*
"...So, I can charge it? I wonder what kind of punch it can give..."
*release trigger*
*Cannon rips a hole in space-time. Solid Snake wanders out*
Snake- "You know, I'm sorry man, but I have been waiting to do this to someone else for a long time."
TIME PARADOX!

Da Beast
2007-04-22, 11:20 PM
*fires a few test shots into the ground*
"Hey, this not needing ammo thing is kewl..."
*leaves finger on trigger*
"...So, I can charge it? I wonder what kind of punch it can give..."
*release trigger*
*Cannon rips a hole in space-time. Solid Snake wanders out*
Snake- "You know, I'm sorry man, but I have been waiting to do this to someone else for a long time."
TIME PARADOX!

Yeah, totally... wait, what?

Setra
2007-04-23, 12:04 AM
Yeah, totally... wait, what?
That about sums up my reaction as well.

Gungnir
2007-04-23, 07:17 AM
My friend always complains about the time paradox thing in Metal Gear, and what else would happen if you put Samus's suit into a setting that actually obeys the laws of physics?

Sephiroth
2007-04-23, 07:21 AM
MC will just win by being the most best game in both pc and xbox

Setra
2007-04-23, 11:12 AM
MC will just win by being the most best game in both pc
... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142
GRAW and GRAW 2
Half Life, Half Life 2, and Episode 1
Call of Duty games
Warcraft 3
Starcraft
Diablo 2
Dungeon Seige 1 and 2
Final Fantasy XI
and many more I don't feel like listing

and xbox
Fable
KotoR

Da Beast
2007-04-23, 12:11 PM
I was thinking, and now I want to know what's with all this Samus gets no upgrades but the MC gets every weapon crap. If Samus is supposed to fight without any upgrades then it's only fair that the MC only gets one of his weakest weapon with one clip of ammo and no grenades. And then Samus kills him.

Setra
2007-04-23, 12:17 PM
I was thinking, and now I want to know what's with all this Samus gets no upgrades but the MC gets every weapon crap. If Samus is supposed to fight without any upgrades then it's only fair that the MC only gets one of his weakest weapon with one clip of ammo and no grenades. And then Samus kills him.
I'd say his weakest weapon... is the Plasma Pistol.. maybe the Plasma Rifle.

Sephiroth
2007-04-23, 01:42 PM
err i just feel so cold but for pc CAN you put better ai make betterweapon and a load of other stuff in them games so no and mc would just use his tank swapn gun get in tank and blow her up or get it a scarb and etc
i was meaning on the pc you can mod it etc so all of this so inother word i just mod him into sephiroth telport behind samus and stab her

Cybren
2007-04-23, 01:43 PM
Huh? What?

Indon
2007-04-23, 02:01 PM
I think he means, "Master Chief has vehicles and Samus doesn't."?

Considering Samus could destroy a tank with probably one Super Missile, it matters little. If anything, it'd make MC an easier target to Samus at even a good portion of her suit's capacity.

Sephiroth
2007-04-23, 02:01 PM
the PP isd not weak
it can take of samus sheild in one hit and the battle rife to the head killing her

Indon
2007-04-23, 02:06 PM
Samus' suit is potentially powerful enough to absorb multiple concussive attacks from things much larger than her, or walk through lava or acid for a couple minutes (or indefinitely if it wasn't hot enough), or electrocute herself (Super Metroid) without needing to recharge.

I don't think one tank shell would be all that devistating.

Setra
2007-04-23, 02:54 PM
I don't think one tank shell would be all that devistating.
On the other hand, Master Chief takes damage from shots that don't even hit him whilst in the tank.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-23, 04:29 PM
Though the first one is pretty damn funny. What other humourous situations could occur when MC tried to use Chozo stuff?

Hmm...

MC: Okay, so I've learned to never use the Morph Ball ever again. *winces.* Now how am I going to fit through that tiny hole?

*Tries to crawl through, but only gets about halfway.*

MC: Damnit! I'm stuck!

Space Pirate 1: Hey, isn't that guy substituting for the Hunter?

Space Pirate 2: I think so. Should we kill him?

Space pirate 1: Nah, lets go tell Mother Brain we captured the guy all by ourselves. We'll get medals and stuff!

Space Pirate 2: Medals...and stuff? Woo!

Space Pirate 1: *Kills Pirate 2 and runs to report to Mother Brain.* Yay! I get medals and stuff for myself!

MC: Oh, ****!

Gungnir
2007-04-23, 04:33 PM
On the other hand, Master Chief takes damage from shots that don't even hit him whilst in the tank.

That's kind of a cheap shot. If he didn't take damage in the tank, it would be SO BROKEN in multiplayer. There's already the trick where you park on top of that hill in Blood Gulch/Coagulation and turn it around, then reverse the turret. Only thing that really gets you are gauss cannons and rockets you don't see coming.

I'd argue that John could use the gauss, which is his equivalent to the screw attack, but it's attached to a vehicle, and too heavy to carry. Even if it wasn't, it would be a "portable" turret at best.
Perhaps a tactical air strike with MAC guns from space?

Edit: HAHA! I have it! What is the one thing John has going on that (as far as I know) Samus cannot do?

Get modded.

I'm gonna go get my cousin to mod all of the weapons in the game to fire gauss cannon shots, and remove the need to reload.

Woot Spitum
2007-04-23, 04:38 PM
How exactly will Master Chief deal with Samus's Ice Beam? Oh, wait, he can't.

blackout
2007-04-23, 04:40 PM
Meanwhile, down on Halo:

Samus: *running from an army of Covenant who have torches and pitchforks*OHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAP! RUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNING!

Elite: Die, Demon-Substitute!

Samus: *turns and fires a rocket from her rocket launcher, killing the Elite; Grunts run away**proceeds to pick off the Grunts as they run with her pistol*This is fun!

Setra
2007-04-23, 04:51 PM
That's kind of a cheap shot. If he didn't take damage in the tank, it would be SO BROKEN in multiplayer. There's already the trick where you park on top of that hill in Blood Gulch/Coagulation and turn it around, then reverse the turret. Only thing that really gets you are gauss cannons and rockets you don't see coming. I was being somewhat sarcastic there, personally though.. that tank moves sssllllloooowwwwwwlllllyyyy, I can snipe just about anyone out of that thing, and I think Samus could do a better job than me.

... Crap! I just admitted I play Halo!... er... wait.. I mostly play Battlefield.. I swear!

Get modded.

I'm gonna go get my cousin to mod all of the weapons in the game to fire gauss cannon shots, and remove the need to reload.Actually there is already a mod that turns each and every pellet from the shotgun... into a Burst of Fuel Rod Fire, and this is infinitely...

Of course at close range it's suicide, and long range it's slow and actually not too hard to dodge... it's nice at medium range though.

Master Chef
So he's a chef now?.. Suddenly I crave Lasagna...

Lord Magtok
2007-04-23, 04:52 PM
Meanwhile, down on Halo:

Samus: *running from an army of Covenant who have torches and pitchforks*OHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAPOHCRAP! RUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNINGRUNNING!

Elite: Die, Demon-Substitute!

Samus: *turns and fires a rocket from her rocket launcher, killing the Elite; Grunts run away**proceeds to pick off the Grunts as they run with her pistol*This is fun!

I have another!

Somehow, Master Chief squeezes through the hole, blasts the reinforcements of Space Pirates that came to capture him, and eventually encounters a Zebes Metroid (The kind only killable with a freeze attack followed by a missle. They're much bigger than the little guys in the Metroid Prime games.)

MC: What the hell is that thing! It's huge! I thought it'd be small, like in the Metroid Prime games, but that thing is almost as big as me! *Runs away while shooting.*

My bullets aren't working! And I couldn't get the Freeze Beam because Chozo tech is incompatible with my stuff! Damnit!

Master Chef runs away and escapes the Metroids, blows up Mother Brain, and escapes Zebes just before it goes boom. However, he gets real upset about not being able to kill even one Metroid, and flies away rom the Metroid universe, feeling really pissed at himself.

blackout
2007-04-23, 05:02 PM
Master Chef! Xd

Da Beast
2007-04-23, 05:12 PM
Edit: HAHA! I have it! What is the one thing John has going on that (as far as I know) Samus cannot do?

Get modded.

I'm gonna go get my cousin to mod all of the weapons in the game to fire gauss cannon shots, and remove the need to reload.

That's a pretty lame argument. If I were to make a game in which Samus is actually an omnipotent diety would that settle the debate? Either yes and the same thing can be done for MC making this topic unbelievable dumb or no and fan made content isn't aplicable to the debate.

Seeing as to how I made this thread in the first place, I'm going to go ahead and say no.

Setra
2007-04-23, 05:14 PM
That's a pretty lame argument. If I were to make a game in which Samus is actually an omnipotent diety would that settle the debate? Either yes and the same thing can be done for MC making this topic unbelievable dumb or no and fan made content isn't aplicable to the debate.

Seeing as to how I made this thread in the first place, I'm going to go ahead and say no.I think he was kidding.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-23, 05:31 PM
Master Chef! Xd

Oops. :smallredface:

MC: Lets kick things up a notch with some plasma....BAM!

Woot Spitum
2007-04-23, 05:34 PM
Master Chef! Xd

Now we need Master Chef to challenge one of the Iron Chefs.

EDIT: "Fukui-San?" "I asked the Master Chef what his overall approach to the secret ingrediant would be, but he was to busy yelling at himself to answer." Bubbly actress judge: "That sounds just like the way my mother used to make it." Everyone else: ???

Lord Magtok
2007-04-23, 05:44 PM
Hmm...Master Chef vs. Dr. Mario?

Setra
2007-04-23, 05:59 PM
Now we need Master Chef to challenge one of the Iron Chefs.

EDIT: "Fukui-San?" "I asked the Master Chef what his overall approach to the secret ingrediant would be, but he was to busy yelling at himself to answer." Bubbly actress judge: "That sounds just like the way my mother used to make it." Everyone else: ???

... *falls over laughing*

blackout
2007-04-23, 07:48 PM
....I don't get the 'yelling at himself' bit.

Gungnir
2007-04-23, 09:16 PM
Ooh ooh, I thought of something else! Get Chief an M6D from the first game. Three headshots are always a kill.

blackout
2007-04-23, 10:00 PM
Pff. ONE headshot's a kill.

Gungnir
2007-04-24, 08:13 AM
Nah, takes two to punch out shields.

If you turn them off, though, then expect people to drop like flies.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-24, 09:44 AM
Nah, takes two to punch out shields.

Guess how strong Samus's shields are compared to MC's...

Woot Spitum
2007-04-24, 11:13 AM
....I don't get the 'yelling at himself' bit.

Well actually he's yelling at Cortana, but since she's inside his suit Fukui-San would naturally assume he was talking to himself. Not everyone has a digital lady downloaded into their power suit.

Gungnir
2007-04-24, 06:10 PM
Guess how strong Samus's shields are compared to MC's...

Three shots.

blackout
2007-04-24, 06:57 PM
Well actually he's yelling at Cortana, but since she's inside his suit Fukui-San would naturally assume he was talking to himself. Not everyone has a digital lady downloaded into their power suit.

AH. K. Makes sense...GO MASTER CHEF!

Da Beast
2007-04-24, 07:26 PM
Three shots.

Maybe if you added a zero to the end of that.

Destro_Yersul
2007-04-24, 09:10 PM
Maybe if you added a zero to the end of that.

Kdokey! 3.0 shots. See? It has a zero now :smallbiggrin: