PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need outsiders for a god of knowledge (planar ally)

Kafana
2015-05-17, 05:46 AM
I have a god of knowledge who is father to the illumian in my setting. His realm is basically a giant library/archive, where he stores the world's knowledge.

Now, I have a cleric who will soon be able to summon a planar ally and I think he'll wish to use this ability. What would be an appropriate creature for this god? I was thinking I might introduce the Githzerai into my setting through this way, but all suggestions are welcome.

Shoat
2015-05-17, 05:57 AM
I would assume that the outsiders who serve a god of knowledge would be ascended academics (anyone who spent their life tirelessly pursuing knowledge) with a neutral-alignment-equivalent of half-celestial/half-fiend so that they're outsiders OR the servants would be outsiders who normally live on other planes, but who've discarded their home's agenda and gained levels in wizard/sorcerer/artificer/whathaveyou and have become academics and thus started serving your god of knowledge (for example crappy little imps who'd rather research stuff in a huge library than be whipped and forced to do evil by their overlords).

Githzerai don't really strike me as being attached to the concept of knowledge enough. Most of them have their own interests they pursue which don't exactly align with science, so "assigning" their entire race to be the servants of a god of knowledge is a bit unfitting.

Saintheart
2015-05-17, 06:13 AM
Maybe look over some stats for Astinus of Palanthas if they're available somewhere...

Demidos
2015-05-17, 10:56 AM
The earlier suggestion about tacking things on to pre-existing outsiders to demonstrate those who have ''found their way'' and become knowledge devotees is pretty interesting. You could refluff something like the primordial giant template as ''Scholar of the Great Library'', where amusingly enough, the stat boosts and the ability to levitate at will would be quite useful to reach the books they wanted. It could actually make for pretty interesting encounters if the party ever went to the library themselves, as the entire library could have levels and levels reachable only via flying or levitate. To mark it, add illumian sigils floating around their heads or tattooed on their bodies.

Alternate interesting creatures --
Beholders -- can also levitate and have telekinesis to look at books, etc, and they're all eyes. :smalltongue:
Refluffed Swarms -- Make creatures who are actually composed of pure magical runes, which are simply held together in a humanoid (or not!) form for convenience. If attacked, most attacks simply pass through them, and they can create items practically at will. Alternately, they can infuse their runes into items or books to make them stronger/make phylacteries/make whatever the heck you feel like. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-17, 11:39 AM
Practical Demonkeeping (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=4pgkphp47dko7o02nl39084qm4&topic=5573.0)

An Arcanaloth Yugoloth in MM2 (3.5 update booklet (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a)) would be decent for the 12 HD Planar Ally.

jiriku
2015-05-17, 04:27 PM
Word archons in the Tome of Magic are very scholarly outsiders -- their wings are actually made out of clouds of rune-scribed parchments.

Andion Isurand
2015-05-17, 06:36 PM
What about Ursinals (BoED 174)?

Marlowe
2015-05-17, 08:09 PM
Keepers out of Fiend Folio?

DrMotives
2015-05-17, 09:05 PM
Tome dragons from the magazine? They live in libraries, do crazy metamagic, and are neutrally aligned.