PDA

View Full Version : Did synthesist just got a buff?

skypse
2015-05-17, 10:49 AM
Unchained summoner is out and he got nerfed.. I mean nurfed! His spell list is a lot weaker and this hits him hard. However his Eidolon ability became so much more interesting which in turn, makes the synthesist a little bit "controversial" I might say? I personally am a big fan of the Summoner as a class and the Synthesist as a concept so I may be a little biased but I would like to think of myself as an objective person in general. So what do we know of the Synthesist so far? He uses the same rules for the regular eidolon, without taking the extra feats and skill points. Which means that if I wanna play a Synthesist using the Unchained Summoner, I can chose an Elemental type Eidolon and not take the extra feats and skill points. Now let's say I wanna play a Half-Elf Synthesist, with the Air-Elemental Eidolon subtype.
At level 1, my character is immune to paralysis and sleep as well as electricity damage. 4 level, it gets an extra evolution point. 8 level free evolution flight (SP) without needing to spend points on the flight (EX) evolution. 12 level, 3 more things that I become immune plus can't be flanked (without mentioning any rules about a rogue being 4 or higher level than me). 16 level I get immune to precision damage and criticals. 20 level a nice attack which is not really as powerful as a 20 level ability should be (at least for the air elemental) but ok.
Now the beautiful part is that I have all these things, without spending 1 evolution point. Other Eidolon types even give immunities to stuff like ability drain and death effects for free. I really fail to see how the Synthesist and the Broodmaster summoners got any negative impact with these changes. Which makes me think: Am I missing something here, or did Paizo really screwed up so hard this time?

Starbuck_II
2015-05-17, 10:56 AM
Unchained summoner is out and he got nerfed.. I mean nurfed! His spell list is a lot weaker and this hits him hard. However his Eidolon ability became so much more interesting which in turn, makes the synthesist a little bit "controversial" I might say? I personally am a big fan of the Summoner as a class and the Synthesist as a concept so I may be a little biased but I would like to think of myself as an objective person in general. So what do we know of the Synthesist so far? He uses the same rules for the regular eidolon, without taking the extra feats and skill points. Which means that if I wanna play a Synthesist using the Unchained Summoner, I can chose an Elemental type Eidolon and not take the extra feats and skill points. Now let's say I wanna play a Half-Elf Synthesist, with the Air-Elemental Eidolon subtype.
At level 1, my character is immune to paralysis and sleep as well as electricity damage. 4 level, it gets an extra evolution point. 8 level free evolution flight (SP) without needing to spend points on the flight (EX) evolution. 12 level, 3 more things that I become immune plus can't be flanked (without mentioning any rules about a rogue being 4 or higher level than me). 16 level I get immune to precision damage and criticals. 20 level a nice attack which is not really as powerful as a 20 level ability should be (at least for the air elemental) but ok.
Now the beautiful part is that I have all these things, without spending 1 evolution point. Other Eidolon types even give immunities to stuff like ability drain and death effects for free. I really fail to see how the Synthesist and the Broodmaster summoners got any negative impact with these changes. Which makes me think: Am I missing something here, or did Paizo really screwed up so hard this time?

True, but Paizo is only looking at PFS which bans Synthegist anyway (and you have to use the unchained version).