PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Children of Trails (race for Witcher)

NevinPL
2015-05-17, 05:00 PM
Since "Witcher 3" is coming (judging from previous ones, multiple times I'm sure ;) ), I took a look at race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415815-Children-of-Trails-(race-for-Witcher)) and class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415816-Witcher) I've created some years ago.
For better, or worse, I didn't change much, just some fine tunning.
So without further ado...

Kaer Morhen… That’s where ones like me were manufactured. They don’t do that anymore, and no one lives in there anymore.
Andrzej Sapkowski Last Wish
You’ll give me - rider in a black coat recited quickly - what you’ll find home, when you return, and which you don’t expect. You swear?
Andrzej Sapkowski Sword of Destiny.

Children of Trails

Children of Trails aren’t born, they’re created as a result of Changes - various painful, and dangerous magical, and alchemical processes, that normal human children taken by Witchers, are subjected to. The goal of Changes is to create an “improved human” with greater fortitude, keener senses, and special abilities like to better combat various monsters.
Kids are taken according to so called “Law of Surpise” and promise, which Witcher (an adult Child of Trials, which survived Changes) can demand for e.g. saving life. It often takes a form of a vow of giving up something, the vow giver doesn’t know, e.g. child born, sheltered when he wasn’t at home:
“You’ll give me, what you have, but don’t know.”
Newly created Child of Trials doesn’t really remember its past live, and the alignment, and personality changes towards neutral persona, which only goal is to fight monsters.

Personality: Children of Trails are secretive, suspicious and often insensitive. They don’t worry about wars, or other matters of men, or any other race for that matter, in any other respect than to protect them from harm, from various monsters.

Physical Description: Children of Trails stand from around 5 feet to 6 tall, and weight from about 125 to 250 pounds.
They’re more muscular than Humans, their skin, eye, and hair color depends on race of humans from which they came, but sometimes Changes have a significant influence over it.
Similar to Humans, males have facial hair.
Children of Trails reach adulthood at about age 18, and can live to be 200, but with hazards of their calling, none is known to have made it.
Changes make Children of Trails sterile, and the process itself, is a closely guarded secret, known only by a few trusted Clerics, and Wizards.

Relations: Children of Trials are loners - their profession demands it, and Changes make feelings and emotions often alien to them. But if they make friends, they’re often very solid, and race, class, origin doesn’t matter to them.

Alignment: Children of Trials are usually lawful, and they tend toward neutrality. They’re often follow some kind of their own code, or their calling of fighting monsters in general, and don’t concern themselves with other matters.

Children of Trials Lands: Children of Trials don’t have their own lands in the literal meaning of the word. When they’re created, they live in their “birthplaces” - secluded strongholds. If they pass Trials - a “graduation” process - they become Witchers, and travel to where monsters threaten humans, so they can be encountered almost anywhere.

Religion: Children of Trials generally don’t worship any gods, but they can respect the faith of others.

Language: Children of Trials speak Common. They also learn languages of beings among which they travel.

Names: Names used by Children of Trials are most often human names, but they can be taken from other races too, or completely made up.

Adventurers: Children of Trials don’t look for adventure in general meaning of that word. They’re created to fight monsters, and they do it, not as much of their own choosing, but because they’re created exactly for that purpose.

Children of Trials racial traits

+2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Children of Trials are agile, but withdrawn.
Medium: As Medium creatures, Children of Trials have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Children of Trials base land speed is 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Children of Trials can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Children of Trials have darkvision out to 70 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Children of Trials can function just fine with no light at all.
+1 racial bonus on Fortitude saving throws: During Trials Children of Trials undergo a rigorous training, that reinforces their bodies.
+1 racial bonus on saving throws against poisons, and diseases: During Changes Children of Trials are exposed to various toxins and diseases, so they’re more resistant to them.
This bonus stacks with the earlier Fortitude saving throw bonus.
+1 racial bonus on Will saving throws: During Trials, Children of Trials undergo a rigorous training that reinforces their minds.
+1 racial bonus on saving throws against fear, and enchantment spells or effects: During Changes Children of Trials are mentally conditioned.
This bonus stacks with the earlier Will saving throw bonus.
+1 racial bonus on Listen, and Spot checks: Children of Trials have keen senses.
+1 racial bonus on Hide, and Move Silently checks: Children of Trials are nimble, and elusive.
Tough as Nails (Ex): Children of Trials can act normally while having 0 HP (full round actions, no HP loss, etc.), and die only after reaching negative HP equal to their CON value, or -13, whichever is higher.
Control metabolism (Su): thanks to Changes, Children of Trials gain a greater control over their own body, metabolism.
As a fullround action, that provokes attack of opportunity, you can “activate” one of the below “modes”, and gain associated benefits, and penalties:
Fasten metabolism:
only need 4 hours of sleep, to get effect of full 8 hours (applies to spellcasters sleep requirements),
if below 0 HP, you lose double the normal amount of HP per round, if above - double the amount of HP healed via natural healing,
daily needs to make two saving throws while being diseased. If two consecutive are successful, you fighted it off,
poisons work immediately, ie. saving throw that you need to make after 1 minute, you need to make immediately after the first,
you use twice as much oxygen as normal,
you can do without water for half a day, without food for day and a half,

Slow down metabolism
need 12 hours of sleep, to get the effect of 8 (applies to spellcasters sleep requirements),
if below 0 HP, you lose half the normal amount of HP per round, if above - half the amount of HP is healed via natural healing,
need to make saving throw while being diseased every other day,
second saving throw against poisons is made after 2 minutes,
use only half as much oxygen as normal,
you can do without water for day and a half, without food for four and a half days,

You can use this ability only when resting, but you can decide to rest anytime, and it’s active as long as you don’t deactivate it.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan. Future Witchers learn the languages of races they’re most likely to encounter when doing, or looking for work.
Character class restriction: Child of Trails can only and exclusively become a Wicher. If it doesn’t, it means that it didn’t survived Changes,Trials.
Level adjustment +1.

Starting age and aging effect

Adulthood
Middle
Old
Venerable
Maximum

+6d10

Random Height and Weight

Same as Humans

Pdf version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3euu7rjyhoa1vg/Children_of_Trails.pdf

NevinPL
2015-05-17, 05:03 PM
Q: What's this ?
A: A race for witcher.

Q: What's a "witcher" ?
A: A monster hunter from "Witcher" book series.

Q: But witcher isn't a race, it's a class. And DnD already has a monster hunter class - ranger. So why create a race, what's the point of (another) class ?
A: That it is, but almost all known witchers, were "not quite human", that's why the race.
The point of the class should be obvious - there's no witcher in DnD. If this doesn't comfort you, just think of it as another evolution\variation of a class, just like Hexblade and Duskblade.

Q: Where are some pictures, detailed info ?
A: Pictures (even moving):
http://thewitcher.com/witcher1/
http://thewitcher.com/witcher2/
http://thewitcher.com/witcher3/
I wouldn't recommend the movie, TV series.

Detailed info:
http://www.amazon.com/Andrzej-Sapkowski/e/B001ICAMAW/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1 (start with "The Last Wish").

Q: This is perplexing... Can you do something about it ?
A: I've tried to make it as true to the books as possible, but that world, and DnD world(s) are very different. The only thing I can do, is urge to read them.

Q: Why X ?
A: Because that's how it was in the books. Because that's how I see it best.

Q: Why X isn't Y ?
A: Because that's how it was in the books. Because that's how I see it best.

Q: (ramblings of someone who didn't read the books)
A: Read the books.

NevinPL
2015-05-17, 05:20 PM
Will post as .pdf later.
Will use the table bits, when I understand how they work.
Will not make any (major) changes. Probably.
Since because last time I did it, I got "spanked", will not get into a discussion.