PDA

View Full Version : Does DC have an answer to the Punisher?

Jeivar
2015-05-17, 05:20 PM
Meaning, a non-powered human fighting crime with guns and ruthlessness.

I just started wondering what character in fiction could be matched against Frank Castle, in the style of Death Battle, and I'm not terribly familiar with DC's larger universe.

comicshorse
2015-05-17, 05:30 PM
The non-cowboy versions of The Vigilante

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilante_(comics)#Adrian_Chase

Wild Dog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Dog_(comics)

Eric Needham (the Black Spider)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spider

Mando Knight
2015-05-17, 05:33 PM
There's Jason Todd (formerly Robin #2) as Red Hood, gone nuts after Talia al Ghul resurrected him using a Lazarus Pit after the Joker killed him in A Death in the Family.

Like the Punisher, whenever he's "heroic" (which he usually isn't) he's still on the anti-heroic end of it, blaming Batman's reluctance to kill for his own death.

DiscipleofBob
2015-05-17, 06:24 PM
Deathstroke could sort of apply. Technically has a healing factor, but that generally gets glossed over in favor of guns, swords, other weapons, and a tactical mind that can take on the Justice League. Of course he already has a Marvel counterpart.

GloatingSwine
2015-05-17, 06:58 PM
Deathstroke isn't much in the "fighting crime" business though. (He's also more "Captain America if he was an ******* mercenary")

Metahuman1
2015-05-17, 07:38 PM
I'll second Red Hood and vigilante.

Benthesquid
2015-05-17, 07:44 PM
Az!Bats also springs to mind, though he was a bit more kitted up than most incarnations of the Punisher.

DiscipleofBob
2015-05-17, 07:48 PM
Az!Bats also springs to mind, though he was a bit more kitted up than most incarnations of the Punisher.

Come to think of it, before the addition of Robin and his no-guns policy, Batman in his very first appearance used guns and killed bad guys.

Psyren
2015-05-17, 08:45 PM
(He's also more "Captain America if he was an ******* mercenary")

Didn't "US Agent" do that?

Kitten Champion
2015-05-17, 10:00 PM
Didn't "US Agent" do that?

Sort of, he's not a mercenary though, more Captain America if he were a jingoistic a-hole.

Devonix
2015-05-17, 11:11 PM
Sort of, he's not a mercenary though, more Captain America if he were a jingoistic a-hole.

There's Hitman, he can see though walls and has mild telepathy but nothing more.

I also find it hillarious that Superman usually empathises more with heroes that kill than Batman usually does. He doesn't like it, prefers that they find other ways, but as long as they aren't using murder as a first and only resort, he usually respects them.

Cheesegear
2015-05-17, 11:42 PM
Depending on the writer, Deadshot.

Zmeoaice
2015-05-17, 11:55 PM
The Authority

Closet_Skeleton
2015-05-18, 03:04 AM
Come to think of it, before the addition of Robin and his no-guns policy, Batman in his very first appearance used guns and killed bad guys.

Only because he was just a clone of the Shadow in his first appearance in a story ripped directly off another comic.

Batman before Robin is basically a completely different incomplete character. It may have been published but its more like an early draft than a real original version.

comicshorse
2015-05-18, 06:35 AM
There's Hitman, he can see though walls and has mild telepathy but nothing more.

Hitman really isn't fighting crime, he's killing criminals but only because other criminals are paying him (or the criminals have attacked him or his friends)

The Authority

Aren't 'non-powered'. I mean give poor Frank a chance