PDA

View Full Version : How do you do Psionics?

Tvtyrant
2015-05-17, 05:31 PM
I made a few homebrew Psionic classes which were more similar to 3.5, but that feels too similar to how casting works now. I also worked on making generic psionic archetypes that other classes could take instead of a normal archetype. So a Fighter could take the Euphoric archetype, and they would get augmentable cantrips based on the psionic at-wills from 4E.

How have you done psionics?

Wartex1
2015-05-17, 05:35 PM
I made a Psion class a while ago with a power list based off of 3.5's. It uses displays, but follows concentration limits still. It's more focused on status and buffs than damage when compared to the wizard.

Grek
2015-05-17, 07:32 PM
You're a Warlock (usually Fey or Old One), but you use the spell points variant in the DMG instead of spell slots. If you take a familiar, that's actually an eidolon. If you take a ritual book, its actually a knowledge crystal. If you take a pact weapon, its actually a soul knife.

pwykersotz
2015-05-17, 10:15 PM
I haven't actually made one yet, but I would do them as subclasses. Also, I'd flavor them as typically using the spell-point variant. Wizard subclass Psion, Sorcerer subclass Wilder, etc.

Naanomi
2015-05-17, 10:28 PM
I'd do a psion base class (discipline subclasses) with fighter, sorcerer, and maybe rogue subclasses

Magic Myrmidon
2015-05-18, 02:38 AM
You're a Warlock (usually Fey or Old One), but you use the spell points variant in the DMG instead of spell slots. If you take a familiar, that's actually an eidolon. If you take a ritual book, its actually a knowledge crystal. If you take a pact weapon, its actually a soul knife.

This is probably the best solution. I didn't think of the spell point variant when I was putting together a psion, but it makes sense. Sort of. I guess it would give them a distinction, at least. And it would be keeping with tradition.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-05-18, 03:12 AM
I do this: Change every mention of "Magic" with "Psionic".

Aaaaand done.

Madfellow
2015-05-18, 06:55 AM
I'd do a psion base class (discipline subclasses) with fighter, sorcerer, and maybe rogue subclasses

I actually laid some groundwork for a homebrew like that over on another thread. Here, have a look:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414979-Tossing-around-ideas-for-a-Psionic-class

ChubbyRain
2015-05-18, 07:44 AM
Really fluff up and make indications more prominent feature.

You manifest X ability? Well the smell of tacos fill the air for 50'.

You manifest Y ability? Well your eyes and mouth glow white for the duration.

I much prefer that to the VSM system.

Madfellow
2015-05-18, 08:04 AM
The psion will probably be in one of the next Unearthed Arcana columns.

Fwiffo86
2015-05-18, 08:28 AM
Numerous solutions. I find many of them to boil down to refluffing. I suppose that is the answer for now.

Mrmox42
2015-05-18, 08:31 AM
I do this: Change every mention of "Magic" with "Psionic".

Aaaaand done.

This is excactly how I do it, as well. Just change the fluff and let the rules stand.

Wartex1
2015-05-18, 08:31 AM
Here's the Psion that I made: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qrVZ0JZt6XVV-NHRNgk7HRyHNBs_C0EHIr0X-J1JSbg/edit?usp=sharing

The formatting is off for some reason according to other people, but on my computer it looks perfectly fine. Also, some of the powers might need to have their levels bumped up or down a level.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-18, 12:41 PM
Here's the Psion that I made: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qrVZ0JZt6XVV-NHRNgk7HRyHNBs_C0EHIr0X-J1JSbg/edit?usp=sharing

The formatting is off for some reason according to other people, but on my computer it looks perfectly fine. Also, some of the powers might need to have their levels bumped up or down a level. I am impressed! This is a lot less ragged than my attempts.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-18, 12:53 PM
I think psionics is a good chance to get something right, which was wrong in the PHB.

Have a general caster class where the subclasses are specific casters, then give them another sub-option if you want.

Mage
Subclass: Wizard
Subclass: Sorcerer
Subclass: Bard

Manifestor
Subclass: Psion
Subclass: Wilder
Subclass: Psychic Warrior

But base it around per short rest, we need to move away from daily abilities (6+ can be 1/day but lower need to be at-will/per short rest).

Wartex1
2015-05-18, 02:16 PM
Or we could have separate Psion classes for more variety. After all, Psions have their school focuses too. Wilder and such would be subclasses for other main classes.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-18, 02:18 PM
Or we could have separate Psion classes for more variety. After all, Psions have their school focuses too. Wilder and such would be subclasses for other main classes.

Easily done.

Look at the warlock for inspiration.

Blade, Chain, Tome
Fiend, Fey, Great Old One

Madfellow
2015-05-18, 02:26 PM
I think psionics is a good chance to get something right, which was wrong in the PHB.

Have a general caster class where the subclasses are specific casters, then give them another sub-option if you want.

Mage
Subclass: Wizard
Subclass: Sorcerer
Subclass: Bard

Manifestor
Subclass: Psion
Subclass: Wilder
Subclass: Psychic Warrior

But base it around per short rest, we need to move away from daily abilities (6+ can be 1/day but lower need to be at-will/per short rest).

Here here.

Naanomi
2015-05-18, 04:23 PM
My struggle is that psionics have always been INT based (or partially INT based) and it doesn't translate well as a wizard because of the spellbook mechanics

Dark sun also needs them seperate for plot reasons

ChubbyRain
2015-05-18, 04:27 PM
My struggle is that psionics have always been INT based (or partially INT based) and it doesn't translate well as a wizard because of the spellbook mechanics

Dark sun also needs them seperate for plot reasons

If you choose psion your casting score is Int, if you choose wilder then cha, and if you choose Psychic Warrior you may choose Int or Cha.

Dark Sun is awesome, but, there are so many other settings that would be better to support. Dark Sun had a good 4e run and these others could use some love.

Spell Jammer (psionics work here) and Al-Qadim are my votes.