PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Magus

True believer
2015-05-17, 05:37 PM
hello people :D

A player of mine has created a Ultimate Magus !!!I want to ask if he can apply two or more metamagic feats into a spell by the use of his Augmented casting ability??

For example lets say that he wants to cast a silent,still fireball! can he in a round loose two spells from the sorsorer list in order to apply the to metamagic feats in his wizard fireball ???

My understanding is that he can apply only one feat but i want to be fair so i want to ask your opinion !!!

Ty

Pluto!
2015-05-17, 05:41 PM
There'''s no verbiage limiting it to one use...

Uncle Pine
2015-05-17, 05:59 PM
hello people :D

A player of mine has created a Ultimate Magus !!!I want to ask if he can apply two or more metamagic feats into a spell by the use of his Augmented casting ability??

For example lets say that he wants to cast a silent,still fireball! can he in a round loose two spells from the sorsorer list in order to apply the to metamagic feats in his wizard fireball ???

My understanding is that he can apply only one feat but i want to be fair so i want to ask your opinion !!!

Ty
You're right: Augmented Casting specifies "you can't use this ability to augment a spell already affected by a metamagic feat", so you can't augment a spell twice.
However, using your example you could cast a fireball from a 3rd level slot, sacrifice a 1st level spell to make it still and then use a metamagic rod to make it silent (note that you can't use a lesser metamagic rod in this specific example because Augmented Casting lacks the "without any change in level" line, so your silent fireball counts as a 4th level spell).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-05-17, 08:59 PM
You're right: Augmented Casting specifies "you can't use this ability to augment a spell already affected by a metamagic feat", so you can't augment a spell twice.
However, using your example you could cast a fireball from a 3rd level slot, sacrifice a 1st level spell to make it still and then use a metamagic rod to make it silent (note that you can't use a lesser metamagic rod in this specific example because Augmented Casting lacks the "without any change in level" line, so your silent fireball counts as a 4th level spell).

Actually, it would only count as a 4th level spell if he used Heighten Spell. Other metamagic feats do not make the spell's effective level higher, regardless of what level spell slot it would move it up to. But still, the metamagic rod would be another metamagic feat, and Augmented Casting indicates it is exclusive of all other applications of metamagic.

Story
2015-05-17, 09:21 PM
But you can apply the rod after applying Augmented Casting. The rod doesn't care if the spell has already been augmented.