PDA

View Full Version : Kissed By The Ages item requirements

JET73L
2015-05-17, 11:19 PM
The spell description in Dragon Magazine says it must be "a small magic item like a ring, necklace, or similar trinket with a market value of at least 4000 gp." Has there been any word on what "small" means in contexts such as this? I'm guessing the purpose is to keep people from creating what is basically Impervious Cloth Armor of Kissed By The Ages, but what about things like a character-crafted Utility Harness made of 4000gp worth of platinum and gold thread and a simple enchantment (the utility harness seems to be basically a couple of narrow straps with some clips), or a Corset of Holding*? Would half of a pair or a whole pair of the more expensive magical contact lenses count as a "trinket"?

*Obligatory prurient "Heh heh, the overbust Corset of Holding requires the spell 'Magic Chest', heh heh."

animewatcha
2015-05-18, 01:58 AM
You are gonna need to give the dragon mag number.

Samalpetey
2015-05-18, 02:14 AM
You are gonna need to give the dragon mag number.

It's #354

Stupid minimum post length rules

Elderand
2015-05-18, 06:57 AM
The spell description in Dragon Magazine says it must be "a small magic item like a ring, necklace, or similar trinket with a market value of at least 4000 gp." Has there been any word on what "small" means in contexts such as this? I'm guessing the purpose is to keep people from creating what is basically Impervious Cloth Armor of Kissed By The Ages, but what about things like a character-crafted Utility Harness made of 4000gp worth of platinum and gold thread and a simple enchantment (the utility harness seems to be basically a couple of narrow straps with some clips), or a Corset of Holding*? Would half of a pair or a whole pair of the more expensive magical contact lenses count as a "trinket"?

*Obligatory prurient "Heh heh, the overbust Corset of Holding requires the spell 'Magic Chest', heh heh."

You have exemple right there in your own question.

paranoidbox
2015-05-18, 07:03 AM

How are there pockets in this corset? Or is what the corset holds only the character's *ahem* ample authority?

OT: I guess the definition of trinket should be followed here, to wit "a small ornament or piece of jewelry."

Flickerdart
2015-05-18, 10:13 AM
A corset is not small. A harness is not small. Anything that's substantially larger than a ring is obviously outside the feat's limits.

Inevitability
2015-05-18, 01:54 PM
A corset is not small. A harness is not small. Anything that's substantially larger than a ring is obviously outside the feat's limits.

What if a giant casts the spell, though? It seems reasonable he would be able to cast it on a ring that fits him, which may be larger than a gnome's corset.

Aliek
2015-05-18, 02:05 PM
Since the item itself is 'attuned' to the one who is becoming ageless, I would personally take it as a ring/necklace for your size category.

JET73L
2015-05-18, 08:53 PM
If not for size rules for magic items, I'd have even made a point about "small" possibly limiting it to halfling-sized jewelry.

I know the Corset isn't small by any logical meaning, but I should have been more clear: It was meant to be my example of "logically not small, but could theoretically count if you abuse definitions". I gave the Harness as an example because I've seen some Necklaces (mostly Egyptian-inspired) that should outmass and outvolume it and are only smaller the way a cigarette holder is smaller than an index card cut in that way that lets it be unfolded into a large hoop.

I'm guessing from the responses here that there hasn't been any official word on such trinkets (which I interpreted as "jewelry" despite the RAI not technically saying so), but I'm still holding out hope.