PDA

View Full Version : Help flesh out Ritual Spell

sigurd
2007-04-20, 03:17 PM
For game reasons I'd like to keep this as 2nd level arcane spell. I'm interested in what you folks think about it. Ramifications? Dangers? etc....
Its powerful for 2nd level but it is real slow and requires a toxic herb.

All help appreciated
Sigurd

Targeted Dreaming
Level: Wiz 2 – Mystic Ritual Spell
Duration: 1-7days
Component: Herb, Somnas. DC12 Poison 100gld.

This ritual can grant insights into a problem or enable a wizard to reach a spirit or strong psyche in his sleep. The wizard prepares a sleeping chamber with wards and circles. She drinks a bitter herbal (succeed DC12 or wretch and be exhausted for 12 hrs) and then falls into a deep sleep. If the poison is not overcome the sleep does not come and the spell is ruined.
While in this sleep the spellcaster might be lead by spirit guides, reached by psychics or lead by more experienced mystics. The caster's mind does not leave his\her body. It is granted much more sensitivity to hearing the spiritual message of others.
The sleep continues for between 1 and 7 days. It ends if the casters body takes damage or when a significant message has been conveyed. The caster takes 1d4 temporary wisdom damage from this ritual. Recovery of wisdom damage always takes 4 days. If the spell is repeated inside those 4 days not only is the damage cumulative but the previous damage must be rerolled and added to the total.

Triaxx
2007-04-21, 05:12 PM
I like it, though perhaps the 'targetted' part should be more specific. I'm targetting my dreams, but I'm being led by either spirits, or mystics or a wise man? Perhaps it should summon up an ancient spirit, or call out to the dreams of another, such as a former master.